Truck sitting for a long time, any recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck (2016 5.7) has been sitting a lot since I began working overseas. It currently sits at 65k miles.

It sat from March 17 2020 until September 2021. It needed a jump, and the lifters ticked a little while, but went away after 10 seconds or so. Surprisingly it didn't have any issues, not even with gas sitting that long. I was impressed.

It then sat from October 2021 to May 2022. The original battery was completely shot upon returning, I changed the oil and installed a new AGM battery. I went on a 3,000 mile road trip and the truck had no issues.

It has now been sitting since June 19th 2022. Unfortunately, I cannot rely on my family members to regularly start the truck.

Returning in 10 days and I am curious what, if anything, that members here recommend I do. I am wondering if I should add something to the fuel. Not sure if the injectors will get gummed up sitting this long etc.

Looking forward to your input.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck (2016 5.7) has been sitting a lot since I began working overseas. It currently sits at 65k miles.

It sat from March 17 2020 until September 2021. It needed a jump, and the lifters ticked a little while, but went away after 10 seconds or so. Surprisingly it didn't have any issues, not even with gas sitting that long. I was impressed.

It then sat from October 2021 to May 2022. The original battery was completely shot upon returning, I changed the oil and installed a new AGM battery. I went on a 3,000 mile road trip and the truck had no issues.

It has now been sitting since June 19th 2022. Unfortunately, I cannot rely on my family members to regularly start the truck.

Returning in 10 days and I am curious what, if anything, that members here recommend I do. I am wondering if I should add something to the fuel. Not sure if the injectors will get gummed up sitting this long etc.

I wouldn't leave a vehicle over 30 days without at least hooking up a battery tender. No need for family members to periodically start the truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Many people add Stabil into their gas tanks before parking it for periods of time.

There are at least two types of Stabil, one type for regular petroleum gas, the other for Ethanol gas

Hopefully you don't have much Water Separation in your Ethanol gas

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would pull the battery cable/s next time you head out. Then when you get back, it would be better if you could crank it over a bit before you started it up. I personally would run the tank down fairly low before you take off (Use non-ethanol gas the last tankful), then fill it up with fresh gas once you get back.

It would be great you can get someone to go out and charge the battery every other month. I normally stop driving some of my vehicles at the end of Nov every year and don't drive them till March or April. Been doing it for years and they're all high-mile rigs (including my Ram). Life hasn't come to a halt, and no vehicles have blown up in the 20 years. If the property owner doesn't want a battery tender to be used (fire hazard), or no power is avail. you could consider a solar battery charger. That's low voltage and not a fire hazard. But I'd unhook the battery still and leave the charger on.

Ideally if you could put it up on jackstands that would be better for the tires. I wouldn't even bother changing the oil ..if you're using synthetic. Yeah, people are going to say it can oxidize, but only the top surface layer. It's in the crankcase, presumably indoors. Oxidation occurs a lot less in the winter in colder temps. It probably oxidizes a lot less from sitting stagnant, than running it and mixing it up every day. I don't change my vehicles oil after sitting. I just start and go...

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's parked outside in my fathers driveway, still can't get him or my brother to start it. Fail.

Onto the stabil, my father supposedly put some stabil in while I was gone so I will continue to do that on my next travel away. There is a gas station not too far away that has ethanol free fuel, so I will start with using that on my last tank before leaving again.

Wouldn't it be best to fill the tank full with ethanol free fuel versus leaving a low tank? As to prevent moisture from building up inside the tank?

I am also looking into a solar setup with battery tender.

Question, my truck has no key hole on any door, not even the driver door. If I pull the battery, and lock the truck, how am I supposed to unlock it. The only keyhole is on the tailgate.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ethanol-free in not just the last tank, but the last two or three tanks, along with a dose of Techron. Add stabilizer and fill the tank full as you’ll get less condensation that way. When you start it back up, give it a treatment with red HEET to clear any accumulated water.

On the battery, I can’t suggest much. For up to 6months storage disconnecting the battery seems to work ok, if it’s AGM. Personally, I’d probably buy a good battery maintainer like CTEK and try to arrange an extension cord hookup.

My son’s Jeep GC has had storage for 11 months of the year for the last 6 years or so, in a unit near me. A couple times a year I reconnect the battery, drive it to my place and put it on a CTEK charger for a good part of the day, then take it for a drive of 40 miles or so, and it’s holding up very well. I hate driving it, tho, as it’s lifted with huge tires so it’s more herding than driving…

best,
DG

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You just set the charger on the dash and run the thin wire out the door and under the hood to the battery (hooked up or no). I would probably unhook the battery from the vehicle, just so it wouldn't be a fire-hazard. Read the reviews and verify the best use for long-term battery health. This solar charger has a built-in charge controller which many of the less expensive solar chargers don't have. You want that for long-term charging. Otherwise, if you leave the less expensive ones on all the time for months they can overcharge the battery and kill it that way. This one claims it won't do that. I haven't personally used it, so read all the reviews. I read some reviews and it seems safe for long-term use. I have a cheaper (and not as 'smart') solar charger I put on a battery (no electricty nearby) but I don't leave it on more than a few days at a time. So you'd want one with a charge controller.

Or if you DO have power nearby, connect a Battery Minder. I DO have one of these and use it all the time ...and have for years. I move mine from vehicle to vehicle to keep the batteries charged up. And it works great. Safe for long-term use.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're storing it outdoors, is it on gravel or dirt? Gravel is good esp if you dig a little divet under where the tires go ...so the gravel kind of 'cups' the tires (fit's their contours). Prevents flat spots.

Rodents can do a LOT of damage to a vehicle. Esp if they start chewing wires. I'd probably put dryer sheets under the seats and a few around the engine compartment and on top of the engine intake manifold. Rodents hate the smell, esp Bounce. I put it in my vehicle/s I leave outdoors. They may parade around a vehicle with dryer sheets but they won't inhabit it. The smell is repulsive to them (most classic car owners knows it). And for whatever reason, mice like to monkey around the top of engines. So put some dryer sheets there too. It leaves the vehicle smelling nice for when you return.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
It's parked outside in my fathers driveway, still can't get him or my brother to start it. Fail.

Onto the stabil, my father supposedly put some stabil in while I was gone so I will continue to do that on my next travel away. There is a gas station not too far away that has ethanol free fuel, so I will start with using that on my last tank before leaving again.

Wouldn't it be best to fill the tank full with ethanol free fuel versus leaving a low tank? As to prevent moisture from building up inside the tank?

I am also looking into a solar setup with battery tender.

Question, my truck has no key hole on any door, not even the driver door. If I pull the battery, and lock the truck, how am I supposed to unlock it. The only keyhole is on the tailgate.

For the possible need to open the hood from the outside of my RAM, I have added a piece of nylon string tied to the under hood latch/with an old key ring tied to the other end for grasping/pulling.

I used enough in length of nylon string from from where I tied to the under hood latch and tucked/routed it over to the driver's side head light.

I did this, not because of the battery crapping out, etc. ... I had the latch cable break in the past and I got lucky that the break was inside the truck at the plastic latch and I could still get to the cable there and pull it to open the hood.

I have this setup done on my current RAM and have the string with key ring end positioned to where I can retrieve it with an small telescoping magnetic when the hood is closed.

Just an option for you if you decided to disconnect the battery.

Also good advice from folks that responded to your post.

Here's a few pics of how I did the "string thing".

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_082122161_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230506_082122161_HDR.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230506_085106373.jpg
    IMG_20230506_085106373.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230506_085126494_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230506_085126494_HDR.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230506_085149677_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230506_085149677_HDR.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I owned a GMC Denali and now have a 2021 RAM with Hemi V8 eTorque and own two Battery Tenders which have worked flawlessly for years. Both vehicles, if left garaged for 5 days or more would experience parasitic battery drain, prohibiting starting them. As a result, not wanting to risk overcharging, believing “simple is best” I use this battery maintainer model available at Amazon for $52.86:

Battery Tender Plus Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - 12 Volt, 1.25 Amp Battery Chargers - 022-0185G-DL-WH

Since then, I do not encounter a dead 12V battery.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is weird about no key hole in the drivers door. But if you can set up a hood pull cable like the other poster suggested then you could disconnect the battery. I disconnect the battery in my mustang when it is parked for 3 or 4 months over the winter. It will fire right up once reconnected.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does your FOB have an old fashioned key in it?

Frankly, I've never seen a newer vehicle with power door locks that doesn't have at least one key lock on the outside. On your Ram, the lock cylinder is in the front door handle end cap, not on the door.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89259 miles.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does your FOB have an old fashioned key in it?

Frankly, I've never seen a newer vehicle with power door locks that doesn't have at least one key lock on the outside. On your Ram, the lock cylinder is in the front door handle end cap, not on the door.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89259 miles.
It does have a regular key on the FOB. But no keyhole in the door. The only key hole is on the tailgate as I mentioned.

My truck has the passive entry system where you just grab the handle and it will unlock.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Once you get the battery charged, hold the gas pedal to the floor & crank it for a few times to get oil pressure up before starting to reduce or eliminate valves tapping. Holding the pedal to the floor prevents it from starting.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It does have a regular key on the FOB. But no keyhole in the door. The only key hole is on the tailgate as I mentioned.

My truck has the passive entry system where you just grab the handle and it will unlock.
If you have a key in your FOB then look at the photo below to where your door lock is located

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpg
    IMG_2472.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you have a key in your FOB then look at the photo below to of where where your door lock is located
My 2016 Laramie with keyless entry has that same keyhole in the driver’s door…

best,
DG

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Mustang GT sat for the last 10 months with a trickle charger on it and a full tank of gas. It started and ran good, no problems. I do the same with my motorcycle. I would also do the same with my Ram If I let it sit that long but it's my DD.

Speedy Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Fluid changes /fuel change /tire rotation

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes! Few people understand this but that is the exactly right thing to do. I have stored vehicles for 2+ years before multiple times and this is probably the most important thing to do. Batteries and oil and all else is secondary. Fuel is the most important thing. Fill up, top it off, and do treat with a 2X does of Stabil if you can. You will be fine.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 14 sport with keyless entry, push button start, etc, but still have a key inside the fob to open a door
There should be some way to get in if the battery dies