Truck sitting for a long time, any recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
change oil, attach a battery tender, add at least a double dose of Stabil Marine 360 to the tank, fill the tank, drive home, and park it. If for a very long time taking the weight off of the tires and blocking the sun from the tires is a good idea too. Be sure it has a good wax on it.
If outside put sun shades in the window.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If for a very long time taking the weight off of the tires
No, no and no! Suspensions were made and designed to be loaded. You put a vehicle up on blocks and the suspension dangles freely without any load you are ASKING for problems!

I wish this old tale would die once and for all. No offense but its terrible advice. All else you said is spot on!

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
In addition to my RAM I have a classic car. My first sports car, 39k original miles, that is stored more than driven. It has been stored almost 40 years. It gets started maybe once every 3 years. I start it, get it up to operating temp, drive it for about an hour and then change the fluids and filters, fix anything not working, then park it again.

Usually, the challenges are more dry rot, hoses, belts, etc, than anything. Real gas in the tank, always full, stabil per the directions and a battery tender.

Car has never failed to start, at least by the 3rd crank, it drives great, suspension is solid, and problems are minimal.

It is stored in a heat garage with only a cover.

You don't have to do a lot but you have to take a few steps.

Battery tender, real gas, stabil, and most importantly store it inside

Attachments

• IMG_20160618_075308.jpg
    IMG_20160618_075308.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 9

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Former marine here. After time of sitting dry, oil gums up, and dry areas lead to dry valve seals. If you’re concerned, make sure to get the battery on a tender. Bring the big breaker bar to turn over the crank, hit with some type of spray oil and do it slowly, dry seals stick to steel. Change the oil. 6 mo or 3k miles. Synthetic can last longer, but really? $40? Unplug all coils. Pull plugs, squirt some 30 oil in there and replace plugs. Pull Fuel pump fuse, not the big fuse. Usually two. Crank over the engine til you get a oil pressure signal or pressure. connect everything and off you go. Reasons…. No cracked seals, no battery issues, no cyl fuel wash, you can hear the fuel pump and keep the engine from starting to get oil pressure. I still have a 2002 that runs like a sewing machine with 300k. Or just start it up. Sometimes it’s a crap shoot and sometimes it can suck the cash from your wallet.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I've had a few times where a vehicle or boat has sat for several months and agree with what others say here. Battery maintainer, fuel additive, and tires up if really long time. On the fuel additive item however I can't recommend Sta-bil additive regular or marine due to bad experience with both types. I have however found another that will keep gas up to 2 years that works on all my gas engine stuff though. Look for Star Brite, Star Tron. Walmart even carries it for what I've found to be the best price if you buy in smaller sizes. Really awesome stuff and since using it I no longer have any issues with small engine gas stuff either. Hope this helps!

Star Tron 8 oz - Amazon

Star Tron 1 Gallon - Amazon

Edit: Removed Walmart link due to login popup and added Amazon links for 2 sizes. There are other sizes as well if you look. In my area for smaller size, Walmart does have cheapest price just FYI.

Last edited: