Truck stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethan meeks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 1995 ram 2500 v10 4x4 guy explained to me that it had a stalling problem for a little while, he didnt have much time to look into it, so i own it now and gonna try to see whats up with it.

So the truck will start up, but the idle is sometimes erratic, however it will sometimes smooth out and the engine will run fine. If put into gear the idle will drop and the truck will sometimes stall, almost as if its out of gas, the fuel pump is brand new so i know that cant be the issue.

When i take it for a drive it will run fine for a few minutes then it will miss and backfire and run like garbage, eventually it will stall, if i try to start it right back up it will run rough and pop, but if i turn the key off and then start it back up it will run fine again.

I checked codes, the only one that came up is 43. I changed both coils....nothing, my buddies truck is the same kind, and his runs fine, we took the ecm out of his and put it in mine.....nothing

Checked the wiring and all connections were fine.

The coolant temp sensor came up as another potential problem it was corroded, so i changed it....nothing. however thr truck will run a little different with it unplugged it will run smoothly for a little bit longer, but it will still stall out

Anyone have any ideas?.

Right now im considering the ignition control module, next is cam and crank position sensors.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Maybe a fuel injector or an 02 sensor. Have you asked any local mechanics about it maybe they have seen this before.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might try cleaning or possibly replacing your IAC sensor. If your buddy has the same truck, it would be very easy to swap them to test it. Only two torx screws hold it onto the throttle body.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 01 5.9 run kinda weird like that. In my case the problem was one of the 02 sensors didn't get plugged in completely after I did a transmission swap so would loose contact run like your description then run good.
It never gave a light or code for it.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Ethan meeks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys i got an update. The truck will start up fine and idle fine when i mash the gas it will cause it to run like garbage. Iac isnt the issue, i tried with one from my buddies truck, no difference. Cleaned throttle body, had injectors cleaned. Tested fuel pressure it was fine even when it was doing it. Ignition control module not the problem. Cats were cut off so no problem there. Im having it brought to my buddies shop next week to see if they can shed some light on it. Some say its the crank sensor, others the o2 like Dan said. So imma have him check it out cause hes an expert on these trucks.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Have you had the Plugs and wires replaced? Are there any vacuum solanoids that might be leaking vacuum? Have you pluged off all the vaccuum taps on the manafold and run it? That's my guess anyway - Good luck!

MontyNC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tested the fuel pressure? Any work done before the stalling?