Truck starting on its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Bissat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tonight, our truck started on its own, ran for a few seconds, then shut off again. Keys were in a different room and hanging up. We were in the living room and the truck is outside the window. We saw it start and turn off. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas why this would have happened??

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1> Ne possibility someone/something like an animal leaned on the key and hit remote?
2> If it keeps happening, either someone else has a key to yer vehicle, or a code that is harmonic, or someone trying to hack vehicle.

These R all speculations, just some ideas.. IMHO

milkman5306

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a key fob go bad and was doing this. Took the battery out of it and the truck quit randomly starting unlocking etc.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I'd be with milkman, sounds like a broken or jammed keyfob. Normally when a remote start is initiated the horn blows to indicate the truck is about to start, are you hearing that, does your truck normally make this sound when you remote start it? Another thing to check if the hood is popped a remote start should be aborted if it is attempted, in my truck albeit much newer it leaves a message on the instrument cluster saying remote start aborted. It might give another clue as to what is making the truck start seemingly on its own. Good snooping!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would start with checking out the key fob.

tincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Key fob. Mine has had a couple instances where the unlock would be triggered by nothing and it would be like a quick double tap which rolls down the front windows. A big issue for obvious reasons

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The RFID on the Keyfob was probably stolen, and the crook was nearby, testing to see that he had your code.

If I were you, I'd start removing the ignition or fuel injector fuses from the under-hood fuse box. Crook may be able to open the doors and steal what's in your truck, but won't be able to drive off with it.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The RFID on the Keyfob was probably stolen, and the crook was nearby, testing to see that he had your code.

If I were you, I'd start removing the ignition or fuel injector fuses from the under-hood fuse box. Crook may be able to open the doors and steal what's in your truck, but won't be able to drive off with it.

Good theory and it does happen, but if you checked out the OP's locale, you'll see it's in the middle of nowhere. I'm willing to bet the chances are low it's a thief (but I've been wrong before)! More likely it's what previous posters have said...bad battery in the key fob. Still, it's a nice reminder that if your Rams are parked outdoors, these modern fobs should be kept in something more secure than a briefcase, purse or key hook.

TXCOMT

Last edited:

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good theory and it does happen, but if you checked out the OP's locale, you'll see it's in the middle of nowhere. I'm willing to bet the chances are low it's a thief (but I've been wrong before)! More likely it's what previous posters have said...bad battery in the key fob. Still, it's a nice reminder that if your Rams are parked outdoors, these modern fobs should be kept in is something more secure than a briefcase, purse or key hook.

TXCOMT
AND....if you live in a populated area, a RF secure pouch to keep the crook from just stealing our RFID while walking by on the front sidewalk.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AND....if you live in a populated area, a RF secure pouch to keep the crook from just stealing our RFID while walking by on the front sidewalk.

Yep, that's what I was alluding to, but didn't want to get "tinfoil hat" replies!

TXCOMT

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yep, that's what I was alluding to, but didn't want to get "tinfoil hat" replies!

TXCOMT
I've almost given up on preaching the insanity of wireless access to your car, home, etc...and how incredibly easy it is to hack. Cyber Security is what I do for a living, and one of the first things we do to secure critical infrastructure, is remove wireless access points. I guess some people just don't care about people with easy to acquire technology and method having access to their cars.....and phones....and homes.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a YUP to K-Dawg, not want aliens beating on my door, LMAO

Added: Could be dead FOB/bad battery I guess, honestly neva thought of dat, hmmmmm.

OP, when U find cause please post, because no such thing as too much info or a dumb question...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just curious, do you have a key or push button start? Definitely let us know what you find. Try calling the service desk at your local dealer & ask them if they've run across this, they might have an answer for it. Do you have pets as turkeybird56 said they could have hit the fob?
Gotta be careful with pets, you never know what they can do....

Cbm27bDUkAASlNS.jpg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta luv them Dog commercials, LOL...

I can say on the 2019 Fobs the buttons are sensitive, I consistently lock/unlock set off alarm when keys in back pocket and I am doing things, Just Saying....

My thoughts are still someone trying to hack and/or fob bad-going bad (battery) ???

Maybe OP can find answer from Dealership and post...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've almost given up on preaching the insanity of wireless access to your car, home, etc...and how incredibly easy it is to hack. Cyber Security is what I do for a living, and one of the first things we do to secure critical infrastructure, is remove wireless access points. I guess some people just don't care about people with easy to acquire technology and method having access to their cars.....and phones....and homes.

How would we would we get rid of the wireless keyfob?
The days of metal keys and locks are gone.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How would we would we get rid of the wireless keyfob?
The days of metal keys and locks are gone.

Your RAM keyfob is designed to be used with no power (battery dead). Do like I did. Take the battery out. Open the doors with the physical metal key that's inside the keyfob. Start the truck by placing the powerless keyfob on the starter button. Operate all of the other vehicle's functions with the controls inside the truck. If you just can't live without the remote start, keep the battery in the second fob and use it for that function only. I only use remote start for a couple months in the fall, when my garage still has all my lawn-care stuff in it. Plus I live way out in the sticks where nobody can steal my running truck. But when I drive it to work, or to other populated area, I only take the battery-less keyfob. Nobdy can steal my RFID since my RF isn't transmitting.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your RAM keyfob is designed to be used with no power (battery dead). Do like I did. Take the battery out. Open the doors with the physical metal key that's inside the keyfob. Start the truck by placing the powerless keyfob on the starter button. Operate all of the other vehicle's functions with the controls inside the truck. If you just can't live without the remote start, keep the battery in the second fob and use it for that function only. I only use remote start for a couple months in the fall, when my garage still has all my lawn-care stuff in it. Plus I live way out in the sticks where nobody can steal my running truck. But when I drive it to work, or to other populated area, I only take the battery-less keyfob. Nobdy can steal my RFID since my RF isn't transmitting.

Now that, my friend, is good stuff...plus, it makes sense! Will I do it? Prolly not...I keep my Reb indoors at night and I can see it from my office window during the day. Plus, I like to lower the Reb (air suspension, ya know) when I'm loading or unloading the bed...used that sweet function just yesterday. Still, your tactics make perfect sense to me and I'll keep 'em under consideration if my situation changes; thanks for the post!

TXCOMT

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I always lower my suspension before I get out, so it's already down when I need to load stuff or get in.

Now something this truck SHOULD have but doesn't (compared to all the techno crap it has but doesn't need), is a option to set the truck to lower to the entry/exit position automatically, based on some speed below 17MPH (the speed at which it auto-raises from the entry/exit position). Took me almost two years to remember to press the Entry/Exit position when my speed drops below 17, so that by the time I get parked, I'm already at the lowest position. When I forget, i have to sit there for another 20/30 seconds waiting for the painfully slow air suspension to lower. RAM needs somebody who makes those low-riders move up and down to design their air suspensions.

Boon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything ever happen or was discovered with this?

My truck started tonight on its own - It was 12:00am and the truck fired up ran for a few seconds and turned off.

Oddly enough I did not hear it honk when it started(like it does when remote started using the fob) - At first I thought someone was messing with it - went outside - no lights were on(interior etc), and the doors were still locked - No one in sight that I could see...

Our fobs both had newer batteries(changed em just in case) my keys were stored with no one/thing around and my wifes keys were sitting beside us when it started less than 5 ft away(nothing around them either).

I dont have the uconnect access active anymore but that is the only thing I can think of aside from a fault - give. I didnt hear the truck honk before it started

***forgot to mention I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport - Obviously it has the keyless entry/start option