Truck starts up after second or third try

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 4.7 with 73k miles.
When I go to start the truck, it cranks the first time but won’t fully turn on. If I try a second or third time it will start up just fine.

If I hold the key fob button down while I turn it, it’ll start right up the first time.

Any ideas as to what this could be? I’ve heard it may be ignition switch or fuel pump relay? Not sure how to check these things if it is. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Rekdreation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds before starting to let the injectors do their thing?

And what fob button do you push?

OP
OP
C

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds before starting to let the injectors do their thing?

And what fob button do you push?
Yeah I wait a couple seconds then try turning it but it just cranks and stops. On the fob I push the unlock button while I turn it and it starts right up

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Does this happen with both of your FOBs ?

When was the last time that you cleaned the Green Circuit Board inside of the FOB(s) ?
My FOBs are only 7 years old

I just had one of my FOBs act up. My trucks horn was blowing randomly, short blasts, almost like Morse Code, the doors locks were moving up & down, the FOB itself was sitting on my coffee table.
I found an eye glass screw driver & took the screw out & promptly lost it in the carpet.
I opened the FOB & the Green board had 2 places that had melted to the contacts that had previously been on the side of the case that has the buttons.

I went to a local Locksmith, they had a portable programmer that was in a Security Case.

From the time i walked in the door, talked to them, signed a paper, walked 2 doors down from the Locksmith shop & bought a bottle of soda & returned to the shop.
They had programmed a new FOB & one of the Techs was cutting a new Valet Key. The woman checked to make sure everything worked & the other Lady asked me for $145.98 & i was on my way, i know that it did not take 30 minutes.

I asked them if i could buy FOBs online & have them Program them. They said that they would for $49 + each

Last edited:

Rekdreation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I wait a couple seconds then try turning it but it just cranks and stops. On the fob I push the unlock button while I turn it and it starts right up
So it literally stops cranking? Oh dayum. Hadn't heard of that before.

OP
OP
C

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does this happen with both of your FOBs ?

When was the last time that you cleaned the Green Circuit Board inside of the FOB(s) ?
My FOBs are only 7 years old

I just had one of my FOBs act up. My trucks horn was blowing randomly, short blasts, almost like Morse Code, the doors locks were moving up & down, the FOB itself was sitting on my coffee table.
I found an eye glass screw driver & took the screw out & promptly lost it in the carpet.
I opened the FOB & the Green board had 2 places that had melted to the contacts that had previously been on the side of the case that has the buttons.

I went to a local Locksmith, they had a portable programmer that was in a Security Case.

From the time i walked in the door, talked to them, signed a paper, walked 2 doors down from the Locksmith shop & bought a bottle of soda & returned to the shop.
They had programmed a new FOB & one of the Techs was cutting a new Valet Key. The woman checked to make sure everything worked & the other Lady asked me for $145.98 & i was on my way, i know that it did not take 30 minutes.

I asked them if i could buy FOBs online & have them Program them. They said that they would for $49 + each
I cleaned them about a week ago when I replaced the batteries. I only had one key so I bought another and had it programmed. Does the same thing.

Rekdreation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only other easy fix i can think of is a loose battery terminal, maybe enough for the radio, etc but not to crank? Oreo. :/