Truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K Musgrave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Push clutch and start , truck is automatic , 2014 Dodge Ram 3500

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
A little more information would help.

Does it turn over?
Does it just click?
Does nothing happen?
How cold out is it?
How long has it sat?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your truck has a clutch but identifies as an automatic, then I would say it has an identity issue...lol
A little more of a description on not starting, does it turn over? does it just crank and not fire? Is there a CEL?
If it's a no crank issue, a good guess would be the batteries given that it's a '14 making those almost 6 years old if they're original.
If it doesn't fire, when was the last time the both fuel filters were replaced?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If your truck has a clutch but identifies as an automatic, then I would say it has an identity issue...lol
A little more of a description on not starting, does it turn over? does it just crank and not fire? Is there a CEL?
If it's a no crank issue, a good guess would be the batteries given that it's a '14 making those almost 6 years old if they're original.

I was going to say something about the "clutch"

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little more information would help.

Does it turn over?
Does it just click?
Does nothing happen?
How cold out is it?
How long has it sat?

its almost like your dealing with 7yo child :anitoof:

OP
OP
K

K Musgrave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It will not try to start , security light blinks , because I unhooked batteries hopping for a reset , radio is also locked, lights also say service electronic braking , service abs

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have a volt meter, check the battery voltages individually, you'll have to unhook one of the batteries. It takes a bunch of battery to fire a CTD with it's grid heater.

If you have the push button start, use the keyfob itself to push the button in while holding the brake down.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It will not try to start , security light blinks , because I unhooked batteries hopping for a reset , radio is also locked, lights also say service electronic braking , service abs

This definitely sounds like the batteries got too low and were charged in the vehicle, and maybe still aren't charged enough either.

You have to leave the battery unhooked for a good 10 minutes or so to let things reset on newer vehicles, a quick disconnect/reconnect won't reset things. Sometimes even then it won't reset things.

I'd start with what crash68 pointed out and go from there.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If it was built with a clutch pedal and a shifter, A.K.A a stick, it's a manual regardless of what it thinks it is.:)