Truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spencer Appleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have an 06 dodge 2500 4x4 that won’t start. It started and drove great one day and the next morning I got in it to go to work and it would not start. The lights, radio, Ac, and everything comes on, but it won’t start. I replaced the starter relay, the starter, and cleaned the terminals. The batteries still have juice on them, but it still won’t start. I hear a click when I turn the key but nothing after that. Can anyone tell me where to go from here?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm assuming cummins since you said batteries. I would still be looking at the batteries being bad, or one of them being bad and not letting it start.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Check all grounds too, there is quite a few of them and can cause all sorts of issues if they are corroded, burnt, rusted or missing.

OP
OP
S

Spencer Appleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I checked both the batteries yesterday with my meter and they are reading good. And I checked what I thought was all of the grounds. Would adding a ground from the motor to the frame help at all?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I checked both the batteries yesterday with my meter and they are reading good. And I checked what I thought was all of the grounds. Would adding a ground from the motor to the frame help at all?
It wouldn't hurt that's for sure, but, if you checked them all then it's something else. Have you check to see if the starter is getting power? These 3rd gens are notorious for Tipm (fuse box next to battery) problems.
Also if the batteries check good doesn't mean they can hold a load, try and have them load tested, any parts store can do it.

OP
OP
S

Spencer Appleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It wouldn't hurt that's for sure, but, if you checked them all then it's something else. Have you check to see if the starter is getting power? These 3rd gens are notorious for Tipm (fuse box next to battery) problems.
Also if the batteries check good doesn't mean they can hold a load, try and have them load tested, any parts store can do it.
I put the new starter relay on it and all the fuses are good. But I haven’t looked at replacing the whole box. And I’ll try to have the batteries load tested when I can. Thanks

OP
OP
S

Spencer Appleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Alright so I got the truck running a couple days ago. I had the batteries tested and they did fine. I cleaned the terminals again before pitting the batteries back in. And after that it fired right up. So I drove it to work today and it did fine. On the way home I stopped at a store amd it wouldn’t start again. The terminals were tight and a buddy came to try to jump me off but it still wouldn’t start. It has an automatic transmission so we put it in neutral and it fired up. Any ideas on that?

OP
OP
S

Spencer Appleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Also once I got it started on the way home it wasn’t wanting to shift right and seemed to be slipping at times.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Check your brake switch. If it is bad, it won't let the truck start and will affect shifting. Maybe push the brakes and have someone check to see if the brake lights come on.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Alright so I got the truck running a couple days ago. I had the batteries tested and they did fine. I cleaned the terminals again before pitting the batteries back in. And after that it fired right up. So I drove it to work today and it did fine. On the way home I stopped at a store amd it wouldn’t start again. The terminals were tight and a buddy came to try to jump me off but it still wouldn’t start. It has an automatic transmission so we put it in neutral and it fired up. Any ideas on that.
I had starting and stalling out at traffic lights problem when I changed trans fluid, took it to my local indy shop and they said it was because of air in the system.