Truck Won't Start and "4wd Service Message"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
2018 RAM 3500 w/ 6.7L diesel and manual transmission. Received a "4WD engaging" message while driving last week. Thought I had nudged the transfer case stick. Yesterday the truck would not start. Not the "click click click" like a typical low battery starter motor sound. Solenoid engaged, but truck would not turn over. Also received the "4WD service" message. I had read in the forum somewhere that it could be low battery. Both batteries checked out at 12.5 V. Put them on the charger, but no joy. Being overly cautious, I was going to have it towed to dealer. Tow truck driver recommended we try jumping with his Hi-Capacity system. Truck started right up with no messages. Battery just didn't have enough "oomph" to turn the engine (bad cell?). Let it run for a while to attempt recharge and tried restart, but no joy. Decided to just change out both old batteries with new.
Side-note, the Old OEM Mopar batteries showed they still had 5 months on "free exchange" 36 month warranty. I was standing in line to buy new batteries when I realized this. Called the dealer and they said the truck needed to be brought in with batteries installed so they could diagnose the issue (maybe a charging issue?) before they would consider a battery replacement. Rather than go through the wringer, I just bought new and I am back in business. I will need to keep an eye on things in case it is a power draw, or recharging issue.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, way back I had the "service 4wd system" in a Grand Cherokee when the battery was nearing the end of its life. It would still start the engine but voltage dropped down to 7.some V during cranking causing the transmission control module to throw an error code.

Somewhat odd that the batteries didn't last three years though.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah the batteries now days don't last at all like they used to. I would say easily half the life they were 15-20 years ago. I used to be able to go 8-10 years without replacing. I think 3-5 years is about the norm these days.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Classic bad batteries. You get about 3-5 years out of them at most. And fyi, checking the voltage is not a good indicator, they need to be load tested.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Problem solved congrats.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Classic bad batteries. You get about 3-5 years out of them at most. And fyi, checking the voltage is not a good indicator, they need to be load tested.

SO glad I did a search for "service 4WD".

Truck's starting quickly, no problem, will load test later today (I bought a good used Snap-on resistive load tester years ago when I bought my HMMWV, it's saved me a lot of time and trouble).

This JUST started about 1,000 miles ago (I was several states away) intermittently. I recall it coming up when the other battery died shortly after buying the truck (an 8 month old rental) and had it replaced by the dealer.

Fingers crossed here....

thanks.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Not batteries. They check out fine. I can switch truck into 4WD if I can do it before the "SERV 4WD" warning light comes on.

This came up around 20,000 miles ago, at 40k, dealer replaced differential fluids, transfer case fluid, $850 later, no problems until I hit 60k.

Friend has the official FCA ODB plug-in/bluetooth gadget, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Fluids are good, since when do these need to be changed every 20k?

NB