Truck won't start in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pathale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I own a 97 1500 5.2l 4wd, and whenever I try to start it with the shifter in park it will not even engage, but if I drop it into neutral it starts right up. Anyone know why this happens? Or how to fix it?

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have you tried moving the shifter around like pushing it up. I know on my dads old buick with the shifter on the column you would have to push it up to start it.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I vote on the neutral safety switch, although the hung up shift lever sounds plausible as well...

OP
OP
P

Pathale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have tried moving it around, has no effect, and sometimes it says it's in drive but is not fully engaged, could this be caused by the same thing too?

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
how is your linkage done? solid pieces the whole way, or a cable at some point to move solid parts? i can look at my truck and tell you how my truck is set up, but i don't know if it would help. if there is a cable, the cable may be stretched and needs replaced. otherwise, neutral safety switch. do you have an electrical tester?

HUNTERRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l 318 magnum
have you figured this issue out yet, i just had the same issue today and fixed it...........:Wedgie:

OP
OP
P

Pathale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I bought a neutral safety switch today and plan on replacing it tommorow, anyone know how to replace it?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Yes..first safely raise vehicle on drivers side and secure. Safety first! Parking brake engaged etc.

BTW...I note your transmissionis not in drive when the indicator states so. Before following the rest of my directions... you might want to make sure the shift linkage is adjusted. If it isn't that probably explains the issue. BTW your symptoms suggest this, not a neutral switch.

To adjust shift linkage, first have a helper run the gears so you can watch the linkage.

To make sure your linkage is in park with the shifter in park, remove the linkage rod from the column to the transmission and then see if the linkage pops into park all the way. Many times the park pawl will engage but linkage will not close the electrical circuit in the switch.

Make sure there is no mud, dirt, wasps nest, dead animal or anything jamming the linkage. It can be adjusted by either a clamp bolt on the transmision shaft link, or on the shifter rod itself.

Once you've determined this isn't the problem....

Get a drain pan, you'l need one/ Also some tranny fluid.

Remove positive battery cable.

Locate the neutral safety switch on drivers side of transmission.

Remove electrical plug. Note: To ensure diagnosis is correct, carefully inspect plug and its wiring for several inches to make sure the harness is not damaged be exhaust heat or physical means.

Place drain pan under tansmission. Have new switch ready to install, because when it comes out so will ATF!

Remove and replace switch quickly (with appropriate wrench or socket) to minimize fluid loss.

Rest of installation is reverse of removal. Top off transmission as needed.

Last edited:

Arlie Anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol, having the same problem with my 96 ram van. have replaced battery cables, safety switch, wiring harness connector and about to replace the starter. the shift linkage is a cable and does not appear to have an adjustment.