Truck won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow the wifes 2019 cherokee trailhawk is going on 4 years same battery just had it tested still good.
Seems like a lot of the OEM batteries are starting to get flaky on the 19's due to age. U may wanna keep a good eye on it, especially since U R in a real Cold Part of Canada, just saying.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Seems like a lot of the OEM batteries are starting to get flaky on the 19's due to age. U may wanna keep a good eye on it, especially since U R in a real Cold Part of Canada, just saying.
yes i have a back up battery sitting in the garage to get her car to can tire and get a new 5 year agm for hers when it does.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Maybe OP phone battery died now to since we never got a response

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Did you get a new battery?
How'd you make out?
Are your problems solved?

I just got an email warning that the battery in my Silverado was low. I bought the truck new in January of 2020. It was a 2019 left over. So the battery isn't that old. I only have about 15,000 miles on the clock, so maybe I just don't drive it enough. Never had a battery with such a short life. I guess it's due to all the modern electronic doo-dads. I haven't charged it or even tested it. I've been driving it and it seems fine. Winter hasn't really hit us hard yet, so maybe I'm in denial! I better get my butt in gear or I'll get stuck somewhere in a sub-zero snowstorm! Can't say I wasn't warned!
I did buy a new battery today but haven't had a chance the put it in. I'll do it tomorrow. Hopefully that will solve it. I do find it strange that my jumper pack said that there was a short or the polarity was reversed on my ram (worked fine on my wife's odyssey). Also replaced the batteries in my key fob, but that didn't help.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did buy a new battery today but haven't had a chance the put it in. I'll do it tomorrow. Hopefully that will solve it. I do find it strange that my jumper pack said that there was a short or the polarity was reversed on my ram (worked fine on my wife's odyssey). Also replaced the batteries in my key fob, but that didn't help.
Short in the battery (old one) or polarity? Did U have a Gidget moment and hook up cables wrong? LOL.

Put that new battery on a slow charger/trickle maintainer for the night since not in, so it is at full capacity, because batteries off the shelf tend to be between 70-80 % if they have sat for a while, just saying. IMHO..

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Short in the battery (old one) or polarity? Did U have a Gidget moment and hook up cables wrong? LOL.

Put that new battery on a slow charger/trickle maintainer for the night since not in, so it is at full capacity, because batteries off the shelf tend to be between 70-80 % if they have sat for a while, just saying. IMHO..
Well the jumper pack was some $60 buy from Amazon with poorly translated instructions. Was getting a warning tone indicating that either the jump pack was overheating, there was a short (didn't specify where) or the terminals we're Crossed (they weren't). Assumed the jump pack was defective but it connected to my wife's car and my motorcycle battery with no issues.

I do have the new battery on a trickle charger. Thanks for the tip though!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the jumper pack was some $60 buy from Amazon with poorly translated instructions. Was getting a warning tone indicating that either the jump pack was overheating, there was a short (didn't specify where) or the terminals we're Crossed (they weren't). Assumed the jump pack was defective but it connected to my wife's car and my motorcycle battery with no issues.

NE time suh, never hurts to put a battery to full charge before installing, because the alternator in a truck not gonna charge to 100%.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Jump-a-Pack made in China, covert attempt to disrupt American Economy, roflmao.

ADDED: I have a pretty old Sears/Craftsman Charger/trickle charger with AGM setting, 2 AMP, 10Amp, and 50 AMP starter. Have had it forever and is my Go To when in that situation, or just rely on my HD (harley) 800 mH tender.

DaPurrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-Torque
My best guess is the immobilizer system (alarm) isnt talking to a computer that it needs to. Need to scan the truck. Possibly a rodent chewed a CAN/LIN Bus wire, or something as simple as a fuse somewhere. Battery isnt the problem here if your alarm went off and your IGN lights up but wont start. Something is not letting the computer send the start signal

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A couple times I have had the fob not being picked up by the truck Both fobs the same, and I changed the battery in mine, did not help, but the truck would start when you got in and pushed the button with the fob.
BTW ,I am still running my factory battery in my 2014 Ram, but it does sit in the garage, but I don't use a battery minder, But Should put one on the wife's CRV as that little crap battery will go dead, low in a couple weeks sitting . Weather bad, she will not drive it 2008 , 80,km.
BTW that battery is almost new, old one was the same. Too small.
Getting off topic a bit , remember the stories about scumbags stealing these, I bought a couple of those little pouch for the fob , and it does work great. Wisdompro I think, 2 for20.oo

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
My best guess is the immobilizer system (alarm) isnt talking to a computer that it needs to. Need to scan the truck. Possibly a rodent chewed a CAN/LIN Bus wire, or something as simple as a fuse somewhere. Battery isnt the problem here if your alarm went off and your IGN lights up but wont start. Something is not letting the computer send the start signal

I'm thinking that you may be right. I just installed a freshly charged Duralast battery and the truck is still dead. I also tried changing the batteries in the keyfob but that didn't work either. Seems like the keyfob isn't communicating with the truck. But once I use the physical key to unlock the truck the alarm goes off... but when I go to lock the truck again it doesn't let me lock it and beeps 3 times because it thinks the fob is still in the truck. However after a few attempts it does let me lock it. I can't turn on the radio/accessories at all.

I have the extended warranty so I hope they don't say its from rodents. We don't really have rats around here. I've never once had an issue with a rat/mouse in any of my vehicles or in my house... but when the truck was new, they had to replace a wheel speed sensor and told me it was from rodents and not covered under warranty. I complained and asked them to show me the damage and then they changed their minds and decided to cover it. I think I might just take some videos of the wiring under the hood and under the vehicle...

PS- I connected my cheapo amazon jumper pack to the new battery (outside the vehicle) and it connected with no issues. Then I installed the battery in the truck and connected the jumper pack... and got the same warning beep saying that there was some sort of short/revered polarity. So there's got to be some sort of electrical gremlin

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
So what ever happened to the OP?
Fixed?

13Goat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had a similar situation recently. 2013 2500 Cummings would not start--hit the start button and only got clicks and dimming of the panel lights. Tried the push the button with the key fob trick--no dice. New batteries in the key fobs--still the same story. Both batteries under the hood are only a year old, but who knows, maybe one has a dead cell. Pulled both of them out (hello hernia!) and carried them to the parts house. They load tested them and both checked out good, with 12.6 volts or better. Put both the heavy @#$% back in, hit the button and the sucker starts every time. Go figure---did a computer reset or what?

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 bighorn 1500 with about 20,000 miiles. Drove it last night with no issues. This morning I press the unlock button on the key fob and nothing happened (doors didn't unlock and lights didn't blink on truck). Thought it was the fob battery so I tried my spare and that didn't work either. I remove the key and manually open the driver's door (which set of the alarm) then tried The key fob buttons again but they still didn't work. Then tried pushing the end of the key fob against the start button to start the truck and that didn't work either.
There were no warning lights or alerts on the instrument cluster. I tested the voltage on the battery and it's at 12.3 so maybe a little low. I hooked up the battery tender to see if that would help.
Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong?
From what you tried so far I would think it is a defective battery ... I had a similar issue with my 2013 Longhorn just a couple weeks after I bought it (new) .. I was 13 hours away from my home visiting my son and the night before leaving to return home my truck wouldn't start, and even tried boosting it with my sons truck, no luck ... Had roadside assistance tow to the closest dealership that night ... They put a charger on it and got it going then next day ... On my way back home I got about half way, when a low battery light came on ... Kept going and made it home ... Took to my local dealer the next day and they determined the battery was defective and replaced it ... Same thing happened about a month later ... My remedy ... I went out and bought at new Northstar AGM battery and installed it .. Problem solved ...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should've commented earlier, but the FOB for DT 1500s do not need battery power for manually starting the vehicle. For remote starting, lock/unlock, yes.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 81552 miles

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
From what you tried so far I would think it is a defective battery ... I had a similar issue with my 2013 Longhorn just a couple weeks after I bought it (new) .. I was 13 hours away from my home visiting my son and the night before leaving to return home my truck wouldn't start, and even tried boosting it with my sons truck, no luck ... Had roadside assistance tow to the closest dealership that night ... They put a charger on it and got it going then next day ... On my way back home I got about half way, when a low battery light came on ... Kept going and made it home ... Took to my local dealer the next day and they determined the battery was defective and replaced it ... Same thing happened about a month later ... My remedy ... I went out and bought at new Northstar AGM battery and installed it .. Problem solved ...
The battery tested ok but I still installed a new battery and having the same problem. So it doesn't look like it's the battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye