Truck wont stay on after oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel. 3.0
2014 Eco Diesel 1500 3.0 will only stay on for 5-10 seconds and have no oil pressure after oil change. Not a newbie on working on vehicles but this has me stumped. Any suggestions?

Update: Got it fixed!! So my lovely gal was helping me work on her truck. I was changing oil and she took out the air filter to blow it out and check it. She seated it back in and snapped the clips amd all looked good. However after changing a few parts (cheap and easy replacements) the truck still wouldn't stay on for more than 10 seconds. This is day two mind you. I started tracing different lines to see of I could find anything else that it may be. I found that the air inlet hose was not sitting right. She pulled it out a little too far and it came unconnected from the back. Once I got it connected correctly it started and is running great. It is dark back there and the hose is black and there is only about an inch of overlap. I forgave her❤

Last edited:

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
2014 Eco Diesel 1500 3.0 will only stay on for 5-10 seconds and have no oil pressure after oil change. Not a newbie on working on vehicles but this has me stumped. Any suggestions?

Filter change also? I've seen bad filters in my days.

OP
OP
L

Lee59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel. 3.0
I did that and it still doesn't work.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I did that and it still doesn't work.

Check to see if you inadvertently disconnected the oil pressure switch changing the filter, after that I'm out of ideas. Only two things changed, new oil and new filter.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CRASH, ne ideas? OP has a 1st Gen ED. I had a 2nd GEN ED like you and neva heard ne body have an issue he has.

OP, how much OIL did U put in the motor on the change??? They take 11 quarts, I assume U know that. NOT trying to insult you, grasping straws.

There is a check valve in the oil filter housing. Did U possibly jam it closed???

WHEN U went in and pulled out the new oil filter, was there any oil on the filter, in the housing???

DID U wait at least 156 minutes for the oil to drain down to the pan and the pick up before trying to start?

SORRY, all I got,. Not enuf of a mechanic to assist ne other way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lee59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel. 3.0
I took the filter out and the check valve was working. Yes I did put the proper amount of oil. No insult taken. Now I have the accurate pressure on the gauge, but truck wont stay on. Keeps shutting off. Do you think like a vapor leak?

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don't think diesels vapor lock like a gas. Diesel does not off gas or evaporate untill between 125 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit (52 to 82 degrees Celsius)

plus if it cranks its not that or losing prime. I would run a scann see of it has a code throwing.

OP
OP
L

Lee59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel. 3.0
Its fixed!!!!! Read the original post, I posted an update!!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Update: Got it fixed!! So my lovely gal was helping me work on her truck. I was changing oil and she took out the air filter to blow it out and check it. She seated it back in and snapped the clips amd all looked good. However after changing a few parts (cheap and easy replacements) the truck still wouldn't stay on for more than 10 seconds. This is day two mind you. I started tracing different lines to see of I could find anything else that it may be. I found that the air inlet hose was not sitting right. She pulled it out a little too far and it came unconnected from the back. Once I got it connected correctly it started and is running great. It is dark back there and the hose is black and there is only about an inch of overlap. I forgave her❤
HEY, CONGRATS, ALL GOOD !!!!!