Truetrac for ZF 9.25 rear axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll definitely be doing this when they come out as long as they seem to work well. My truck has the factory limited slip but its not very effective if one tire is unloaded to a certain extent. I had it replaced under warranty when the truck was about a year old but the factory design still leaves a lot to be desired.....at least mine does.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FINALLY, the ZF getting some aftermarket love!

I’ll be swapping to one of these when my factory LSD finally gives up the ghost.......though FWIW the stocker still leaves a nice “two track“ @115k miles!

now if they’d just make a replacement carrier with a traction aid for the front (I can dream, right?)

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the stock lsd from factory. With stock tires it was good. Now running 35s and it’s ok but leaves a lot to be desired and this truetrac should clear all that up for me. I know it takes a little for it to load up but these 35s really stress it out.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the stock lsd from factory. With stock tires it was good. Now running 35s and it’s ok but leaves a lot to be desired and this truetrac should clear all that up for me. I know it takes a little for it to load up but these 35s really stress it out.
Yip I have 35" tires too and it works ok but not great. Looking forward to the Truetrack.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question, If I am not doing gears, can I just do this on a bench and re-install? Thank-you, Nick

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if an elocker will be coming next? Lol I'll hate life if I buy the TT and a few months later Eaton releases a locker for the ZF diff.

I have 93k miles and more likely it's time to refresh the LSD. I had a Detroit Truetrac in my Jeep Wrangler front diff and it was great. Best of all works great with cheap diff fluid that doesnt have FM in it. Most diff fluids have FM and that will mess with the gears and not allowed the TT to function as it should. So get used to $6 a quart bottles of diff fluid lol.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if an elocker will be coming next? Lol I'll hate life if I buy the TT and a few months later Eaton releases a locker for the ZF diff.

I have 93k miles and more likely it's time to refresh the LSD. I had a Detroit Truetrac in my Jeep Wrangler front diff and it was great. Best of all works great with cheap diff fluid that doesnt have FM in it. Most diff fluids have FM and that will mess with the gears and not allowed the TT to function as it should. So get used to $6 a quart bottles of diff fluid lol.
The new off-road edition comes with an e locker and it’s the same rear axle just different wheel hub as far as I know so should be a direct fit.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see an Eaton part# for the DT truck, i'd guess some sort of ZF propietary elocker ?
In anycase here is also more info regarding the TT for the 4th gen RAM

https://www.differentials.com/truetrac-for-ram-1500-coming-soon/
I’ve yet to find it listed but if you go to the 5th gen pages you can find some info. I’m wondering if the dealer can order it. Would be interesting but I’m ok with a truetrac myself. An e locker would be nice but overkill for me. I’m actually somewhat curious how the factory brake limited slip will function with the truetrac. I wonder in the 4th gens if the e locker may pose some issues with the computer

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve yet to find it listed but if you go to the 5th gen pages you can find some info. I’m wondering if the dealer can order it. Would be interesting but I’m ok with a truetrac myself. An e locker would be nice but overkill for me. I’m actually somewhat curious how the factory brake limited slip will function with the truetrac. I wonder in the 4th gens if the e locker may pose some issues with the computer

I'd think we should have zero issues in both instances. If anything BLD should work better with an LSD as the mechanical action on the diff itself will prob be faster to engage than the electronic action from BLD, and BLD can assist the LSD in the TT so it's a very nice combo if you're not into rock crawling and want the best of both worlds. The action of the factory LSD and TT should be about the same. Don't know which one locks faster or longer, but the TT has gears instead of clutches so as long as you maintain proper lubrication the TT should live forever while clutches wear out and eventually they won't work anymore.

Jeep Wranglers like our trucks do come with the factory LSD (also clutch assisted) when optioned that way, and it's an common upgrade to go with TT or Elocker or Air actuated ARB. You don't have to do anything with the computer in either case and all those options are literally plug and play in the rear.
12-13 Jeep Wrangler models equipped with Auto trans had an issue with Auto lockers (Detroit locker, Spartan lockers and the like) where the computer will go into limp mode at speed. Something to do with both wheels spinning at the same time past certain speed. Auto lockers are locked all the time until you take a turn, then they unlock. TT's are open all the time until one wheel loose its traction, similar to our factory LSD. Elockers or Air lockers are fully open until you flick the switch.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be interested when this comes out. I have a 3.21 open and would like to go 3.91 or 4.10 with LS. A TT would be perfect vs the Mopar clutch rear carrier.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
These have been out for quite a while. The 2010 and older trutrac works in 2011+ trucks, same ZF axle, you just have to switch the diver side axle to a passenger axle which is longer. Other than that it's drop in.
I just ordered two passenger side axles from Moser when I installed mine.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These have been out for quite a while. The 2010 and older trutrac works in 2011+ trucks, same ZF axle, you just have to switch the diver side axle to a passenger axle which is longer. Other than that it's drop in.
That’s the whole point of this. No need to swap axles. I understand that the truetrac has been out for a while but this is a model specific to the ZF axle that requires no modifications whatsoever. The 2010 and prior model axle is a corporate 9.25 design. The zf Model is an “updated” version

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Retrofitting the older TT into the ZF axles is much more expensive, you need a new gears (older 9.25" ring/pinion), a 2nd 9.25F Driver side rear axle shaft.

Total cost from Moes was nearly $1500 bucks.

The new ZF version is half the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo