Truetrac for ZF 9.25 rear axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for newb question but in a nut shell this makes our trucks into a posi type rear rather than always being a one legger?

https://www.differentials.com/truetrac-for-ram-1500-coming-soon/
Well yes and no. Under normal circumstances it is an open diff. And just like any limited slip it still requires one tire to have traction to work properly. If one tire starts to spin faster it’ll put pressure on the opposite tire to help you get unstuck.

^^^^^ Yes, and doesn't need special additives like a posi diff does.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if an elocker will be coming next? Lol I'll hate life if I buy the TT and a few months later Eaton releases a locker for the ZF diff.

I have 93k miles and more likely it's time to refresh the LSD. I had a Detroit Truetrac in my Jeep Wrangler front diff and it was great. Best of all works great with cheap diff fluid that doesnt have FM in it. Most diff fluids have FM and that will mess with the gears and not allowed the TT to function as it should. So get used to $6 a quart bottles of diff fluid lol.

Would the non fluid modifier Redline be okay? Or are we talking non-synthetic only?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would the non fluid modifier Redline be okay? Or are we talking non-synthetic only?
Should be ok. The most important thing is for the fluid to really be FM free. If it had FM in it would prevent the diff from working correctly.

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would really love a TruTrac for the front Diff.

I don't rock crawl or mudbog, but it would be really nice when I'm chasing backcountry ski powder on the unmaintained forestry and seismic roads..

With all the trucks Ram sells it is really bizarre not to see some locker option for the front.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish they would make one for the front
Unless you are running a solid front axle I don’t see how you would use one anyways. The zf front diff cannot even have the gears swapped. that requires an entire front differential.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Raptor has a Torsen front Diff.

It has IFS.
Raptor. Not Ram. I did not say anything about it not being possible with IFS. Ram front diff the gears are welded to the carrier so in order to do anything you would have to swap the front diff unless someone makes a front gear set and carrier. You’d have to swap to a solid axle or run a different front diff if you wanted to put in any type of lsd or locker. The older style (pre zf) diff can be done but I don’t know of any company that makes an lsd or locker for it. With the ram Trx out on the playing field maybe we will get more love and someone will make a beefier drop in front diff with a locker or lsd optional.

INNATRUCK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a factory 3.21 open, so this is good news when I go to lift it and put some more aggressive tires on.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a factory 3.21 open, so this is good news when I go to lift it and put some more aggressive tires on.

I have 3.21 with 35's but still don't fully get what this improves? I remember some discussion about auto and non auto 4wd to determine what you have? I have manual 4wd.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3.21 with 35's but still don't fully get what this improves? I remember some discussion about auto and non auto 4wd to determine what you have? I have manual 4wd.
This is not related to the transfer case which is what you are referring to. It is the rear axle differential. This is a limited slip gear carrier to prevent unwanted wheel slip while off-roading or low traction situations. There are some good videos on how it operates and how it is beneficial for different scenarios.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Raptor. Not Ram. I did not say anything about it not being possible with IFS. Ram front diff the gears are welded to the carrier so in order to do anything you would have to swap the front diff unless someone makes a front gear set and carrier. You’d have to swap to a solid axle or run a different front diff if you wanted to put in any type of lsd or locker. The older style (pre zf) diff can be done but I don’t know of any company that makes an lsd or locker for it. With the ram Trx out on the playing field maybe we will get more love and someone will make a beefier drop in front diff with a locker or lsd optional.

Be sweet if an aftermarket differential case manufacturer just made a replacement diff with variations of gear choices. Make some good money with all the welded ring gear front diffs out there.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be sweet if an aftermarket differential case manufacturer just made a replacement diff with variations of gear choices. Make some good money with all the welded ring gear front diffs out there.
I agree. I would love an e locker front diff or for if needed. Was thinking about doing an e locker rear but think the trutrac will suffice for me. And can always work the brakes to assist the limited slip.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I agree. I would love an e locker front diff or for if needed. Was thinking about doing an e locker rear but think the trutrac will suffice for me. And can always work the brakes to assist the limited slip.

Had a trutrac in my 69 and it spun both back tires every time in any situation never had it spin just one.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I went through 2 stock LSD's before 15,000miles on my toy,before the dealer said they might have a hard time pushing a 3rd through under warrenty if i blew it up again.That's when i stepped up to a True Trac,that was 5 years and close to 40,000 miles ago, 400 dragstrip passes later ,knock on wood and it's still holding up great.