Trying to decide Cummins or Rebel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys so I'm brand new here and will be buying my ram in the spring. Years ago I owned a 2002 5.2l and a 2002 5.9 magnum. Since I was a kid I've wanted a lifted ram and with recently taking a new job, that will become a reality in the spring.

I am researching now between a 4th Gen Cummins or Rebel. My plan had always been a Cummins but a friend recently mentioned the rebel to me for the fact of ride comfort. I'm a bodybuilder and beat the hell out of my body, so some vehicles wreck my low back on long drives. I have a 40min daily commute that is 90% highway.

I drove a rebel and they're awesome, extremely comfortable but got a bit disappointed that looking at pics of a rebel lifted 6 inches on 37s looks no where near as big as a Cummins lifted 6 inches on 37s. Admittedly the truck will rarely see off road and won't be hauling. It's just simply what I've wanted forever and now the money isn't a big deal.

If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate it. Why would you suggest one over the other, without factoring in cost? How's the ride quality on say a 4th Gen crew cab Cummins that's lifted?

natethecarlover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome!

Sounds like you want a lift and I am not sure if it was the Rebel suspension that gave you the impression it would provide ease on your back. If you lift it you are going to change most of that suspension anyway, Rebel or Cummins.... Not sure what it is that hits your bad nerve(s). IMO, I would get the Cummins and buy a quality lift if money is not a factor. And I'm curious, you talking spring as in the next 14 days or are you talking about 2020? LOL. Good luck with your purchase!

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome!

Sounds like you want a lift and I am not sure if it was the Rebel suspension that gave you the impression it would provide ease on your back. If you lift it you are going to change most of that suspension anyway, Rebel or Cummins.... Not sure what it is that hits your bad nerve(s). IMO, I would get the Cummins and buy a quality lift if money is not a factor. And I'm curious, you talking spring as in the next 14 days or are you talking about 2020? LOL. Good luck with your purchase!
Haha spring as in 2020. My busy season at work is October until January so I'll be able to afford exactly what I want.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I drove a rebel and they're awesome, extremely comfortable but got a bit disappointed that looking at pics of a rebel lifted 6 inches on 37s looks no where near as big as a Cummins lifted 6 inches on 37s. Admittedly the truck will rarely see off road and won't be hauling. It's just simply what I've wanted forever and now the money isn't a big deal.

Comparing both trucks lifted, about the only thing significantly different visually between the Rebel vs HD truck is the front grill. The truck bodies themselves are identical (CC w/6.4' bed)
You'll probably have a better riding truck going with the Rebel even lifted, but the CTD will probably better economically if you plan on rolling 37s(not so much in the cost of the fuel, but you won't have to find the fuel stations as often).

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Comparing both trucks lifted, about the only thing significantly different visually between the Rebel vs HD truck is the front grill. The truck bodies themselves are identical (CC w/6.4' bed)
You'll probably have a better riding truck going with the Rebel even lifted, but the CTD will probably better economically if you plan on rolling 37s(not so much in the cost of the fuel, but you won't have to find the fuel stations as often).
Well that's interesting to hear. When I look at pictures of both, the CTD seems much larger. Having some local friends advising me to go for the rebel since I don't need the towing capacity of a CTD and factoring repair costs over the long haul of owning the truck.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cummins 100%

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Well that's interesting to hear. When I look at pictures of both, the CTD seems much larger. Having some local friends advising me to go for the rebel since I don't need the towing capacity of a CTD and factoring repair costs over the long haul of owning the truck.

It's the taller profile of the front grill/hood that makes the HD truck appear larger. You can add the larger towing mirrors to the Rebel. For the '19s the HD trucks are about 2" taller overall compared to the Rebel.
If you go with the Rebel and plan to lift the truck, your probably not going to want the air suspension. I think people have successfully ran 35" on an air suspension Rebel(someone correct me if wrong).
Your buddies do make a good point about going with the CTD if you were planning towing with the truck.
Probably best to weigh the options that will matter to you most, do you sacrifice the driving comfort for a slightly bigger truck? that will rarely go off-road?
I know where your at, looking at what you want vs what will be a better fit for how your going to use it. I too was thinking of buy a CTD, mainly just because I wanted a diesel. I bought an EcoDiesel because it is just a better fit for how I'm using the truck. It's quiet, great on fuel and will still pull the 8K lbs trailer I need it to.

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the taller profile of the front grill/hood that makes the HD truck appear larger. You can add the larger towing mirrors to the Rebel. For the '19s the HD trucks are about 2" taller overall compared to the Rebel.
If you go with the Rebel and plan to lift the truck, your probably not going to want the air suspension. I think people have successfully ran 35" on an air suspension Rebel(someone correct me if wrong).
Your buddies do make a good point about going with the CTD if you were planning towing with the truck.
Probably best to weigh the options that will matter to you most, do you sacrifice the driving comfort for a slightly bigger truck? that will rarely go off-road?
I know where your at, looking at what you want vs what will be a better fit for how your going to use it. I too was thinking of buy a CTD, mainly just because I wanted a diesel. I bought an EcoDiesel because it is just a better fit for how I'm using the truck. It's quiet, great on fuel and will still pull the 8K lbs trailer I need it to.
Thank you, I really appreciate your input. I was looking at the 6" lift from bds with fox shocks for the rebel which would eliminate air ride. One person I spoke with running that same set up said it rides just as smooth as stock. Whichever I choose I want to build it right with quality parts.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
991834A9-5DCB-48B3-BE6F-E3682FEDD62E.jpeg First OP welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on here.

If I understand your original post you are looking at 4th Gen Rams. If that is the case the CTD is larger than the Rebel as you can get a 6’4 bed in a CC CTD, the 4th Gen Rebel is only available with the 5’7 bed and CC. They did not make a Rebel with the 6’4 bed. The other issue is if you get a Rebel with the air suspension you only have two choices for lifts and the are both 4 inches and expensive. Your other option would be to convert your Rebel to coil spring suspension and that would open you up to multiple 6 inch lifts.

Now, I am not trying to talk you out of the Rebel. I have a 17 and love the damn thing. Even when I am ready for my next truck I haven’t decided if it will be a 1500 or 2500 but since I don’t tow anything significant it will be a Hemi and not diesel. If you don’t absolutely need the CTD look at a Power Wagon.

Above is my Rebel, 295/60/20 Nitto’s and suspension set at “normal.”
Good luck.

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you @Hawkman, I would be looking to switch to the coilovers. Can I ask your reasoning for the power wagon vs the rebel? Your truck looks awesome by the way!!!

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The PW looks very similar to the Rebel but is a 2500. Plus because of the suspension, designed for more articulation than a regular 2500 in my opinion it rides smoother than a regular 4X4 2500 series truck. It also comes in a CC with the 6’4 bed.

There are a lot of members on here who have PW’s and could provide you with a lot of valuable on lifting one.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hey guys so I'm brand new here and will be buying my ram in the spring. Years ago I owned a 2002 5.2l and a 2002 5.9 magnum. Since I was a kid I've wanted a lifted ram and with recently taking a new job, that will become a reality in the spring.

I am researching now between a 4th Gen Cummins or Rebel. My plan had always been a Cummins but a friend recently mentioned the rebel to me for the fact of ride comfort. I'm a bodybuilder and beat the hell out of my body, so some vehicles wreck my low back on long drives. I have a 40min daily commute that is 90% highway.

If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate it. Why would you suggest one over the other, without factoring in cost? How's the ride quality on say a 4th Gen crew cab Cummins that's lifted?

A 25/3500 Cummins is gonna have a straight front axle and the Rebel is a (IFS) independent front suspension setup. The IFS will always have a smoother ride. You loose some of the ride quality with the larger heavier tires
I’d still recommend the Rebel with the air ride suspension and no bigger than a 35” tire.
JMHO
I would also like to recommend a Power Wagon lots of options for mods on them.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Last edited: