Trying to help my dad out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MooseOHJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good morning all. My Dad called earlier and wanted me to look at some performance options for his truck. He will be buying out of his lease soon.
What he has: 2021 RAM 1500 Warlock package (20" wheels) with the 5.7L Hemi and he's 4X4 with the 8 speed.
What he wants: More power. He threw a supercharger idea at me which is great, but I also want to give him simpler options.
What he will be doing: NOT doing racing or other such high spirited pursuits. Just wants to smile when he puts his foot down.

He does intend to do a CAI, header, and exhaust system. Now the rational part of me says just do a tune. Engine and transmission probably. What is out there thats available? I realize the truck being a 21 that options may be limited.
Other options: Supercharging it? Obviously low boost and I've seen Procharger mentioned here but that that might be more for high rpm racing type situations, and otherwise I've seen Whipple. Also keeping in mind they live East of Pittsburgh PA so i'm not sure if theres any tuning places out that way because I know he's not doing the mods himself. Any help appreciated.

- A helpful son

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Skip the CAI as they're mostly for looks unless you go with a Vararam. Using the lower part of an EcoDiesel air filter box does help out with the engine breathing better.
A tune is probably the best bang for the buck to make power, and aftermarket exhaust will make it sound good. From what I've read you need to go with long-tube headers(w/tune) to really make a power difference.
As for supercharger, unless you decide to beef up the engine internals most you'll want to run is about 6lbs of boost.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good morning all. My Dad called earlier and wanted me to look at some performance options for his truck. He will be buying out of his lease soon.
What he has: 2021 RAM 1500 Warlock package (20" wheels) with the 5.7L Hemi and he's 4X4 with the 8 speed.
What he wants: More power. He threw a supercharger idea at me which is great, but I also want to give him simpler options.
What he will be doing: NOT doing racing or other such high spirited pursuits. Just wants to smile when he puts his foot down.

He does intend to do a CAI, header, and exhaust system. Now the rational part of me says just do a tune. Engine and transmission probably. What is out there thats available? I realize the truck being a 21 that options may be limited.
Other options: Supercharging it? Obviously low boost and I've seen Procharger mentioned here but that that might be more for high rpm racing type situations, and otherwise I've seen Whipple. Also keeping in mind they live East of Pittsburgh PA so i'm not sure if theres any tuning places out that way because I know he's not doing the mods himself. Any help appreciated.

- A helpful son
For what it'll cost him to boost it,why not look into swapping a 6.4 into it instead. Easier to tune and more reliable then throwing boost at a stock 5.7. The SRT 6.4 is rated at 485 hp and 470 lb-ft,and if he swaps in a 6.4,he can then sell his 5.7 and recoup some of his costs.

OP
OP
M

MooseOHJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all thanks for the info so far. What kind of tunes are available? Engine AND Transmission separate? Or just do engine? Thanks

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all thanks for the info so far. What kind of tunes are available? Engine AND Transmission separate? Or just do engine? Thanks
It's the 8 speed so you'd do both at the same time.

OP
OP
M

MooseOHJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so: can I get a link to some reliable tunes? Are there any plug and play/canned tunes available? Or is it all custom stuff?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok so: can I get a link to some reliable tunes? Are there any plug and play/canned tunes available? Or is it all custom stuff?
He needs an unlocked PCM and the bypass cable before he can tune it,so he's looking at about $1100+ just to tune it.

OP
OP
M

MooseOHJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow they lock the Engine computers these days?

Edit: so for an unlocked PCM and Diablo tuner he's looking at probably $1500 or so. I'll pass it on.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow they lock the Engine computers these days?

Edit: so for an unlocked PCM and Diablo tuner he's looking at probably $1500 or so. I'll pass it on.
That's why I recommend the exhaust and pedal commander first, give some time to budget for the tune money and will have a definite smile impact in the mean time.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
My opinion which probably will be unpopular; in order to have a seat of the pants difference, which is what you're looking for, you'd have to spend a lot more than $1500 so I would skip mods. I think you (and your dad) will be disappointed in the long run and may be setting yourselves up for problems with codes, etc. The 5.7 is pretty stout as it is and I think he'll enjoy it in stock form. A CAI is the least expensive "Mod" and overrated. The numbers manufacturers provide are in the best possible conditions and probably never reached in the real world, and many CAI's allow more of the real world dirt into the engine. In order to get a real seat of the pants increase you'd probably have to do a super charger, which then would require exhaust change (more air out) and you're looking at big money just for those two.

OP
OP
M

MooseOHJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I passed everything on to the old fart. :) He does want to do the exhaust system, pedal commander, and maybe an intake system if one can be found thats decent. Maybe down the line new PCM with a tune but nothing past that. Thanks everyone. He's buying out of the lease NEXT March so he's got time to save and figure it out.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

- A helpful son
Go to a reputable shop for a tune. Likely need to upgrade exhaust and intake. Don’t supercharge or turbocharge it. Lots of performance upgrades are available that make more sense.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Well I passed everything on to the old fart. :) He does want to do the exhaust system, pedal commander, and maybe an intake system if one can be found thats decent. Maybe down the line new PCM with a tune but nothing past that. Thanks everyone. He's buying out of the lease NEXT March so he's got time to save and figure it out.
Best advise you can give to your dad is not to mess with the truck, enjoy it, and cruise it around. It's not slow with a hemi as is.

When you start messing with it, bad things can happen, which aren't good for wallet or retirement. And could easily void warranty too