Trying to order a 2021 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slamminsalmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've been in talks with about a dozen dealerships in my general area about ordering a 2021 1500 Laramie with the Ecodiesel engine.

The other main options I would like to get are a crew cab, 6'4" box, and 4wd.

That combination of options was possible on a 2020, and according to the 2021 builder on the website yesterday (now it only shows the TRX) it should be a possibility.

Most of the dealerships are telling me that the combination isn't possible...one tells me only with the short box, another says only with 2wd...

But there are 2 dealerships telling me that they can order exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anyone here have any idea what's going on? Could it be possible that only a select number of dealerships get certain options for custom orders? Is it just some strange sales technique I'm not privy to?

All my contact has been through email and phone so far - so I don't know if I would get a different answer going in person to talk about it.

Just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience or any insight?

Thanks in advance.

habu987

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just people who are talking out of their butts.

I went through the same thing when I ordered my '19. I ordered with the Pentastar as soon as it became available and got a fully specced out build sheet from one dealer to shop around to other dealerships for quotes, while others said the Pentastar wasn't available with the Longhorn, 3.55 wasn't available with the Pentastar, and one said the short bed wasn't available with it.

Once I showed them the build sheet I already had, they changed their tunes pretty quickly.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know just what you are talking about. We have been trying to order a 2021 Ram 1500 but seems that they only come the way the factory builds them. We tried a Limited but if we wanted a different wheel then the interior was not available. So we choose the Longhorn but the interior we would like to have is not available with the 6.4 bed, crazy things like that. I didn't think about the fact that one dealer could do it and not another. Will make some phone calls and see what other dealers say.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The trucks come based on the way the buy for the dealer orders them. They want to have as many potential buyers for a truck so it does not sit on the lot. Most people want the crew cab and the short box and that is how the dealers order them. Out of 50 trucks in my immediate area only 4 have the quad cab and only 2 have the crew cab with the 6'4" box.

At least with the dealers I have visited the tech savy internet sales person was not the individual that was ordering the trucks so there is a bit of a disconnect and best to be patient.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ordered my 21 crew cab with 6-4 bed last month. Wasn’t a problem.
4x4 3.92 rear. Night edition big horn. Air suspension. Multi function tail gate. Ecodiesel.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
With the air suspension and the diesel engine it would be prudent to buy an extended warranty for the truck.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've been in talks with about a dozen dealerships in my general area about ordering a 2021 1500 Laramie with the Ecodiesel engine.

The other main options I would like to get are a crew cab, 6'4" box, and 4wd.

That combination of options was possible on a 2020, and according to the 2021 builder on the website yesterday (now it only shows the TRX) it should be a possibility.

Most of the dealerships are telling me that the combination isn't possible...one tells me only with the short box, another says only with 2wd...

But there are 2 dealerships telling me that they can order exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anyone here have any idea what's going on? Could it be possible that only a select number of dealerships get certain options for custom orders? Is it just some strange sales technique I'm not privy to?

All my contact has been through email and phone so far - so I don't know if I would get a different answer going in person to talk about it.

Just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience or any insight?

Thanks in advance.
Build the truck you want on the RAM website, print it and take it to the dealer. If it's build-able on the website, the dealer can order it. They want you to buy what they already have sitting on the lot, hence their misleading information.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the air suspension and the diesel engine it would be prudent to buy an extended warranty for the truck.
I don’t keep them long enough.
I have a 2020 that will have 50k miles on it in a couple weeks.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Build the truck you want on the RAM website, print it and take it to the dealer. If it's build-able on the website, the dealer can order it. They want you to buy what they already have sitting on the lot, hence their misleading information.

This is a exactly what I did. Built my 2021 ram 1500 bighorn in hydro blue to my specs. But my dealer said “ oh...you want hydro blue...We have a 2020 Laramie on the lot....let’s talk”

The rest...well see my signature...lol

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara