TT/5wheel lengths

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 ram big horn 2500, 3:73 , 8 speed
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If a TT is measured from center of coupler to rear bumper and a 5wheel is measured from the king pin to rear bumper, could one assume that say a 34 ft 5wheel would have more living space than an34 ft TT? Considering that the new 5wheels have the king pin even with the front cap and the TT has part of the A frame included in measurement. Thanks in advance

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do be careful though as lengths of both are all over the map when listed for sale, etc. Some dealers list from ball/pin to bumper while others just list the actual living area. Also, the model numbers used to have some relationship to length but as time goes on that's becoming less common. For example a 34RL used to be a 34' with a Rear Living area. The numbers still do often mean something but it's not as sure as it once was.

In general your suspicion is correct though. 5th wheels, of course, also stick off the back of you truck less for the same length.... but then you lose the use of your truck bed. Tons of trade-offs between the two. I've had several of each and can't say I like one better.

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks for that opinion. I’m still not sure I want to trade in a good 34ft 2021 TT for a little bigger 5w for basicly my wife and I and an occasional grandkid.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Having towed both travel trailers and 5th wheels, my personal favorite is a 5th wheel. Virtually no sway, especially with my dually and by far more storage. It's just the 2 of us in a 39' fifth wheel. It's in my photo.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Go to your local RV dealer and do some walkthroughs. There is no comparison, a 5er is way more roomy and usable then a tag along trailer of same or even less length. We had a 34' tag along I went to a 32' 5er and never looked back. You may find a smaller 5er will be more fitting than a longer tag along plus get the added stability and maneuverability.
Watch in your area for RV Shows too to get a better idea.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with above, forget the model number and measure for yourself to find out actual interior dimensions. But, include tongue of TT in overall measurement because that is how you report length when finding a campsite. Some advantages we have found with 5th wheel after many of both types: tow better; don't have to lose camping space to hitch area of TT and overhang of 5th great place to store bikes, etc. We always tie with 8' bed so we lose no real storage in bed for light items like our bikes, we just remove front wheels and lay one in another with moving blanket in between and cover them (keeping payload under max).

But, as also mentioned above, get in a bunch and really check out living space. We have had bigger trailers that just weren't laid out as well as shorter ones and felt cramped. Good luck.

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Having towed both travel trailers and 5th wheels, my personal favorite is a 5th wheel. Virtually no sway, especially with my dually and by far more storage. It's just the 2 of us in a 39' fifth wheel. It's in my photo.
Nice, maybe we will meet someday.

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Agree with above, forget the model number and measure for yourself to find out actual interior dimensions. But, include tongue of TT in overall measurement because that is how you report length when finding a campsite. Some advantages we have found with 5th wheel after many of both types: tow better; don't have to lose camping space to hitch area of TT and overhang of 5th great place to store bikes, etc. We always tie with 8' bed so we lose no real storage in bed for light items like our bikes, we just remove front wheels and lay one in another with moving blanket in between and cover them (keeping payload under max).

But, as also mentioned above, get in a bunch and really check out living space. We have had bigger trailers that just weren't laid out as well as shorter ones and felt cramped. Good luck.
Makes sense, thanks

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Go to your local RV dealer and do some walkthroughs. There is no comparison, a 5er is way more roomy and usable then a tag along trailer of same or even less length. We had a 34' tag along I went to a 32' 5er and never looked back. You may find a smaller 5er will be more fitting than a longer tag along plus get the added stability and maneuverability.
Watch in your area for RV Shows too to get a better idea.
That is kind of how I have been thinking too, thanks. This whole pin weight thing has me very cautious. I don’t want to overload my truck. I have a 10kgvw but even with an 8k dry wt 5er its at 1500 to 1600 pin wt to start. Thanks again.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My experience is that 5w’s tow better, you get more space for a given length and the ceiling heights are much greater. Walk thru several of both types and I’m betting you’ll prefer the 5er.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
With my 39' Vanleigh Vilano, we are right at or slightly above 25% pin weight. 16000 gvw on the trailer. Your mileage may vary, we are fulltime. Last scale ticket was about 4200lbs. Way above any 2500 capacity.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is kind of how I have been thinking too, thanks. This whole pin weight thing has me very cautious. I don’t want to overload my truck. I have a 10kgvw but even with an 8k dry wt 5er its at 1500 to 1600 pin wt to start. Thanks again.
The more important number is your payload capacity, the number is on a sticker on your door jamb. That is the maximum weight you can safely add to your truck, which means every pound of the driver over 150 pounds ( which 150 plus full fluids including gas are already accounted for so you don't subtract again), all other passengers, any gear you carry, your fifth wheel hitch, and any accessories added after the truck was built at the factory. For example, my 2500 has a 2,950 payload capacity so I subtract 350 pounds family and pets, 130 pounds running boards, 70 pounds bed cover and about 500 pounds in bikes, tools and generator, and this leaves about 1,900 pounds for a fifth wheel. In our past we have found the pin weight to be about 18-20% of the loaded trailer weight, so that leaves us with a wet weight trailer of 9,500 as a maximum. As I have said elsewhere, assume you'll run out of payload capacity before you run out of towing capacity.

OP
OP
josie

josie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks tron, nicely said, thats what I’m thinking too. That being said how big of a fifth wheel do you have and what is the pin weight. You said you only had 1900lbs left. Thanks. Happy new year

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We had an older 5th wheel a Holiday Rambler Alumascape and actually sold it, it had a pin weight fully loaded of 1,800 pounds (we never carried much water, just enough for a couple toilet uses) and loaded weight was right around 9,900 pounds. We actually towed it more with the 2003 2500 that had a higher payload capacity because it was a 2wd. My family has a bunch of regular travel trailers and we just borrow one now and then.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Having owned three new fifth wheels so far, the brochures sometimes dont list the lengths very accurately. Take along a tape measure, thats what I now do when looking at rigs for the future. On a side note, bigger isnt always better. Anything around here that is over 30-35 ft is a lot harder to find spots at the local sate parks to fit into. Our current rig is 41 and change long, and we kinda regret buying it because its so long.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Having owned three new fifth wheels so far, the brochures sometimes dont list the lengths very accurately. Take along a tape measure, thats what I now do when looking at rigs for the future. On a side note, bigger isnt always better. Anything around here that is over 30-35 ft is a lot harder to find spots at the local sate parks to fit into. Our current rig is 41 and change long, and we kinda regret buying it because its so long.

This is absolutely true. It's more about the layout than the size. The length can allow them to cram more stuff into it, but sometimes they still feel cramped.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I would always opt for the 5er unless solo camping. Pulls way better, and ceiling height is a big deal to me at only 6’3”. The higher ceilings make it feel more roomy. Some lesser 5er s have shorter ceilings as well.