Tune-up Tools - What's your go-to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeD03Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Gas V8
Electronically, my go-to is the VOLTAGE/MULTIMETER

I recently copped an 03 1500 in great shape that's been sitting for 5 years. So I'm doing an overhaual and invite you to join me on this journey.

My 2mo old batter is dead so I need to hunt down the power drain. The multimeter will earn its weight in gold if it helps me identify it. I'm eyeing the basic $7 option @ Harbor Freight to keep it simple and yeet informative. And will likely buy 2. I hear having 2 is handy when it comes time to hunt down a power drain.

Please feel free to share any insight you might care to share about going about doing this.

Thanks!!

Regards - M.
Mike

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You get what you pay for. I've got a fluke (granted mine cost me a replacement 9v battery lol).

DefiantRage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am currently looking to rebuild my 2003 ram 1500 5.7 hemi as well, so I am excited to hear about your ideas on the rebuild if you sort out that electrical issue.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MikeD03Ram1500

MikeD03Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Gas V8
I am currently looking to rebuild my 2003 ram 1500 5.7 hemi as well, so I am excited to hear about your ideas on the rebuild if you sort out that electrical issue.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I figured out the electrical issue - an old alarm system fuse for sure, but I'll also checking the alternator this week.

I'm easing into the rebuild status @DefiantRage but once I get it rolling smooth and stopping promptly, then I'll move on to more fun stuff.

OP
OP
MikeD03Ram1500

MikeD03Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Gas V8
So far I have replaced most of the front suspension (shocks, ball joints, control arms, bushings, linkages, all but the rack & pinion). Replaced the speed/ABS sensor in the differential, but it whining and LOUD! So now I'm interested in addressing that before the differential is totally shot. I'm considering upgrading it for more tow capacity and acceleration. I hear differentials from Gen 4s are compatible, but I'd like to keep it simple. So perhaps just sticking with the OEM ratio is best. I'm looking for you seasoned gear heads to help me out.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you're looking to do something specific, I'd keep it stock.

Curious about the gen 4 compatibility. The whole third member can swap?