Tuner for efan engage temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LIRR_Lineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi and sorry if this has been beaten to death already. I have a 2012 ram 5.7 hemi. I replaced the thermostat to 180⁰ and am replacing the water pump as well (just hit 90k) due to a little leaking. In my research i saw a cool V6 efan mod so me being me i figured I'd do that. My question is what tuner do I use to change the efan engagement tempature? I have never used a tuner and am totally clueless. Please tell it to me like i am a child and need specific directions on which one and how to do it lol.

OP
OP
LIRR_Lineman

LIRR_Lineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K, I'm putting the mechanical fan back on lol... every time i try something like this it becomes a big mess.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K, I'm putting the mechanical fan back on lol... every time i try something like this it becomes a big mess.
Wait, what went sideways???
It's a pretty well documented mod. Alfa should be able to handle the on temp. Removal doesn't look "too" bad. I'm planning to do the delete soon, and the temp change, but haven't convinced myself the v8 fan is actually unable to do the job. I haven't found exact specs either, but... It doesn't look that much smaller, so I don't believe the V6 fan gives that much more air flow. Especially if the grill flap BS is already removed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wait, what went sideways???
It's a pretty well documented mod. Alfa should be able to handle the on temp. Removal doesn't look "too" bad. I'm planning to do the delete soon, and the temp change, but haven't convinced myself the v8 fan is actually unable to do the job. I haven't found exact specs either, but... It doesn't look that much smaller, so I don't believe the V6 fan gives that much more air flow. Especially if the grill flap BS is already removed.
I'm just running the factory e-fan on my truck,and have never had any issues with it running hot,also have a buddy down in Georgia getting away with just the stock e-fan,and he tows roughly 5,000 lbs with his truck fairly often. If you do the mechanical fan and shroud delete,keep the mechanical fan in the box or under a seat with you for the first few times you're using the truck,that way if it does run hotter then you like,you can spin the mechanical fan back on to get you home,and then go from there.

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wild one
I'm just running the factory e-fan on my truck,and have never had any issues with it running hot,also have a buddy down in Georgia getting away with just the stock e-fan,and he tows roughly 5,000 lbs with his truck fairly often. If you do the mechanical fan and shroud delete,keep the mechanical fan in the box or under a seat with you for the first few times you're using the truck,that way if it does run hotter then you like,you can spin the mechanical fan back on to get you home,and then go from there.
So you just removed the mechanical and shroud? Thats what I have been wanting to do !!!
If I disconnect the efan from the factory wiring and run an aftermarket electric thermostat to operate the fan instead of the factory wiring, would it through a code???

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild one

So you just removed the mechanical and shroud? Thats what I have been wanting to do !!!
If I disconnect the efan from the factory wiring and run an aftermarket electric thermostat to operate the fan instead of the factory wiring, would it through a code???
I'm guessing it would,as even pulling the relay and jumping it on my 14 and just driving it from the pits to the staging lanes at the track turns on a check engine light.If you're not going to tune it,leave the stock mechanical fan and shroud in place,you could still run a cooler thermostat like a 190F though,it'll still help with temps even with-out tuning

Eeyor16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done the mechanical fan/shroud delete as well as the ac fan delete and put the v6 efan/180 tstat in. Plugs directly to a/c fan plug. No codes. Pulled a 31’ trailer through the mountains in summer. Zero heating issues. All with no tune adjustment.
Now though. I would like to set the on temp proper with alphaobd. But can’t seem to find the sequence.

Last edited:

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I have read in several different forums AlfaObd can not do the temp thing you would need to buy a tuner. And if you are like me your computer is locked it gets really expensive. I was thinking I could put one way choke in line to keep the power from feeding back into the computer and run a in the head temp sensor to turn the fan on at 195 or so and that would let the computer control the fan otherwise but havent dug into the wiring diagram to figure out how to do that yet. Someone will figure it out I am sure. I read where someone was writing code to turn something on when the ac preasure reached a certain psi. So someone out there is going to figure out a way around the computer controlling the fan. I think it could be done by tying into the ac compressor led that triggers the fan when it is on. just tap into that with a temp sensor and it would fire up the fan as if the ac compressor asked for it to be on. Hope this makes some kind of sense it does in my head but may be just a thought too.

Eeyor16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I have read in several different forums AlfaObd can not do the temp thing you would need to buy a tuner. And if you are like me your computer is locked it gets really expensive. I was thinking I could put one way choke in line to keep the power from feeding back into the computer and run a in the head temp sensor to turn the fan on at 195 or so and that would let the computer control the fan otherwise but havent dug into the wiring diagram to figure out how to do that yet. Someone will figure it out I am sure. I read where someone was writing code to turn something on when the ac preasure reached a certain psi. So someone out there is going to figure out a way around the computer controlling the fan. I think it could be done by tying into the ac compressor led that triggers the fan when it is on. just tap into that with a temp sensor and it would fire up the fan as if the ac compressor asked for it to be on. Hope this makes some kind of sense it does in my head but may be just a thought too.
Thank you sir