Tuner for mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamst60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 19 ram 1500 bighorn. I average 16 mpg to work and back. I calculated it both by hand and watching the dash. I recently took a long trip hauling a 7 x 14 open trailer with 2 Harley's on it. I averaged 10 mpg. I know how tuners work and all of that stuff, I want to know if anyone has found a tuner that actually gives you better than 1 - 2 extra mpg. My truck is stock other than a front leveling kit. So that isn't going to change anything.
Thank you in advance

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leveling kit is costing you some mpg.
I don't know of any tuner that gives much better mpg as most are tuned for performance.
The newer vehicles are actually tuned pretty well from the factory and any tuner for your truck is also going to need an unlock PCM, so you are looking at $300-500 for the tuner and PCM. Payback is going to take a long time.

Now if you had a diesel, that's a different story.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Like Pacofortacos says, the tuning on new trucks is good.... REALLY good in fact. As in so good that there is really nothing to be gained with a tuner any longer. Manufacturers are under incredible scrutiny and competition to produce the highest MPGs they can. Their teams of engineers spend a ton of time working on it. 1-2 MPGs? I'd be shocked if you found a tuner that resulted in 1/10 of that.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 19 ram 1500 bighorn. I average 16 mpg to work and back. I calculated it both by hand and watching the dash. I recently took a long trip hauling a 7 x 14 open trailer with 2 Harley's on it. I averaged 10 mpg. I know how tuners work and all of that stuff, I want to know if anyone has found a tuner that actually gives you better than 1 - 2 extra mpg. My truck is stock other than a front leveling kit. So that isn't going to change anything.
Thank you in advance
I would double the price mentioned above. You need unlocked PCM, either swap or spare unlocked. Tuner/Licenses/cable(or module)
Unless you are good at Tuning, you'll need pay someone to Tune for you.
Also as mentioned above, the leveling is going hurt.

If you are towing often. "Maybe" could get better MPG with higher octane gas and proper tune. Likely take years, or never get back the money.

OP
OP
S

stamst60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with all you on almost everything. I did change my driving and I'm at 17.2 or so. That's pretty good. It's way better than other trucks I've owned. Thank you all.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with all you on almost everything. I did change my driving and I'm at 17.2 or so. That's pretty good. It's way better than other trucks I've owned. Thank you all.
This may sound far fetched and quite possibly it may be a placebo affect but I installed an oil catch can and a drop in K&N air filter into the stock air box and I removed the charcoal filter from the stock air cleaner cover and it seems I gained a mile or two per gallon. I never hand calculated the mpg but it seems the dash shows it improved slightly

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try running some Redline Si-1 or Seafoam through the tank, you might pick up an mpg or two if you have some buildup that you can get rid of.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow.....that's not good mileage.....I have a 19 Tradesman.....crew cab...4x4......I average 21mpg when not towing and 16 to 17 pulling our 3500 lb travel trailer. I have a 3.92 rear end and a tow package. I use 89 gas. I drive reasonable.....not fast. Good luck.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get 16mpg on the highway with no trailer, And I have to use 91 :cool: dont get me started on MPG around town... lol...

Airstray

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015, 2012
Engine
3.0L Eco diesel 4.7l
I’ve driven eco’s my last two Rams with great MPG’s. I was visiting my Son in Bullhead City,AZ Christmas of 21 and dropped in the local Ram dealership where my wife took a shine to a used 21 BMW X5, well I thought, what the hell. I’ve always bought Rams so we settled for car for a change. We drove it back to Waxahachie, TX. Now this X5 had every bell and whistle this side of the North Pole including ambeance lights across the dash with a choice of 43 colors. About the middle of May, 2022 my wife looked at me and said “I miss my Ram” and that was all it took. We raced down to our friendly Ram dealership and was about to finalize signing for a nice white Laramie Eco-diesel when our young salesman asked if we knew the BMW had been in an accident. You could have heard a pin drop. He handed us a CarFax copy and that was that. We left and have been fighting with the Ram dealership in AZ ever since.
My wife and I have contacted every agency, official, attorney and the AZ dealership to no avail yet. I tried to to trade it with Carvana, Car Max, Auto Nation and even a few car rentals. Sure we’ll trade if you buy a new vehicle and we’ll allow about $22,000, maybe a $25,000 trade-in.
To make a long story short, LOL I don’t think the car was even in an accident. I took it to 2 different Collision Center’s the entire front-in checked out as “factory paint”.
All is not lost. Pegasus Ram in Ennis, TX gave us $44,000 on a 23 Lone Star with a 5.7 Hemi so we didn’t loose out to bad.
Oh,You can bet your ass this is not over. The AZ dealership claims they use “Car Check, not CarFax.
So, what say you, who is responsible here? Jim

Airstray

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015, 2012
Engine
3.0L Eco diesel 4.7l
I meant to mention I’m only getting about 14.4 mpg’s so far.
Thanks

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s a tread on here about tuners.