TUNING VALUE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as stoplight fun, I did blast another Ram. That was eye opening. My neighbor has one and he is teetering on the edge of modding. He only has a MF catback, which I helped him put on. He followed me when I was datalogging for HF, just in case. One of the 0-75 pulls, he tried to keep up. Not a chance. Roughly the same truck, except he is on stock 33’s and 3.92.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actual honest user reviews are the best way to save yourself time and money!

Most people that have the PC seem to really like it.

Pulsar has been hit or miss over the years - maybe a quality control issue??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Morning all ..Great information guys..true world stuff...Yep not a warm fuzzy feeling with Pulsar after reviews I have read and then comments here...I am thinking ARHLT headers and a Chris tune.. the LT's are expensive and then there is the install..well at least I know what I am facing..thanks again.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Morning all ..Great information guys..true world stuff...Yep not a warm fuzzy feeling with Pulsar after reviews I have read and then comments here...I am thinking ARHLT headers and a Chris tune.. the LT's are expensive and then there is the install..well at least I know what I am facing..thanks again.
Stainless Works have a pretty decent set of long tubes,that's a bolt in kit. It'll hook up to your stock exhaust or their catback exhaust Dave.They're not cheap,but neither are a set of ARH's.
A tune from Chris and a set of long tubes will make a noticable differance in how far it'll spin the back tires on dry pavement,lol.Chris is strictly HP though,he doesn't tune via Diablo
If you ever stumble across a used 6.4 intake manifold for a decent price,grab it,as it's a worth while addition and compliments a set of long tubes nicely,for generating even more bottom end torque.
If you don't find a decent shop in Toon town,Tim at Total Truck in Spruce Grove is a good guy to deal with,he's also a pretty decent guy to go through for a set of long tubes,but he is a bit of a drive for you

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As always good info I did not know of..6.4 intake to the equation and the notes..Tim at Total Truck..Spruce Grove...not that far. Timing and money is everything. When I am ready it is nice to have options and people to talk to..Where does a guy watch for this 6.4 intake?..here on the forums??

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As always good info I did not know of..6.4 intake to the equation and the notes..Tim at Total Truck..Spruce Grove...not that far. Timing and money is everything. When I am ready it is nice to have options and people to talk to..Where does a guy watch for this 6.4 intake?..here on the forums??
Ebay / Craigslist / local buy and sell pages are good places to keep an eye on,along with checking with the local auto wreckers/SGI Salvage etc. You can buy them new through Matt Fikac at Moes or MMX,they both sell them in stock and ported form,but they'll make your butt pucker on price by the time you get one shipped to your front door in Canada.
They're a composite manifold,so they're easy to port at home with a dremel and shaft attachment,just a bit time consuming to do,especially if you're a bit aanal like me.I haven't ported the 6.4 truck manifold,but i have ported the stock 5.7 truck intake and the stock 6.4 manifold on the wifes car, taking my time i usually figure on a couple evenings work to port one

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rick as the man said.."You have to know your limitations"..LOL..I know mine..it will be a purchase ready to go ..when i find the $$$..Not sure if the one at MOE's indicates it will work on the 2021 Classic WARLOCK 5.7 as it is a DS...but thanks for the connects though..more notes..

Update..as i read further this will not work with my new Vararam CAI..so will pass on this probably and stick with the LT headers and Tune as you suggested earlier.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Theres a lot of truth to that. I’d 100% trade the Vararam for a 6.4 manifold/injectors. Thats a no brainer!
I need to check my IAT with the Vararam and see where that stands against a stock airbox and a CAI that sits on the fenderwell.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The beauty of the 6.4 intake is it's longer intake runners that create torque under the curve Dave. A 6.4 intake and a set of long tubes with a tune,will make you think you're driving a whole differant truck.The torque increase under 3500 rpm will put a big **** eating grin on your face.If you can keep your boot out of it,they'll also give you a nice gain in milege,probably not enough of gain to pay for themselves unless you run them out past a 100,000 miles though.

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
Looking at many many threads I beg to ask. Is the purchase of a new PCM plus a Diablo tune and install really worth all the cost and effort?
It seems first off the expense is considerable for what is gained.
THe problems encountered are many and reported as time consuming and frustrating.

There are many questions left on the table if you make the jump.
What about the consumer who does not want all the dials and read outs..just give me an honest assessment of the value to my basically stock trucks performance.

Can I get feedback pro and con on these questions..
Appreciate any input...no disrespect intended to Diablo or Tuners..just want to do my homework before making a costly decision...thank you
Having dealt with both Diablo and Holley (before they merged) - but I'd go someplace else. I've had my old dodge tuned for over 15 years and both perform well...but when you need support NEITHER of these companies are very responsive. I can't even get Holley to verify what was supposed to be shipped in one of their exhaust system boxes, and when I had issues with Diablo they said "too bad you bought it from one of our dealers so we can't interfere"...so good luck!

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't waste your money on a Diablo Dave,the good local tuners are all HP tuners now.Spring for HP. CCMR in Edmonton supposedly can unlock your PCM now.I haven't tried out their unlock,but i know a few guys who are using their unlocked PCM's and say they're as good as anybodies unlocked pcm.
I'm using HP tuners with my PCM unlocked through their service. Haven't had any issues. Got a custom tune locally, night and day difference.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noob2 ..great info thanks for keeping me in the loop with this development. CCMR ? Will look it up..thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Noob2 ..great info thanks for keeping me in the loop with this development. CCMR ? Will look it up..thanks
Dave i'd use their unlocking service,but i don't know if i'd use their dyno tuning services.They don't have a very good rep on the Jeep or Car pages.I've known Chris at CCMR for quite awhile,and like him,and i've had my truck on his portable dyno a couple times at carshows to help get the ball rolling for him,but i won't let him touch the tune.He knows Zelinsky tunes my truck,and has admitted he wouldn't be able to get more out of it,so he doesn't touch the tune ,we just use my truck to get the ball rolling at carshows and get guys interested in getting dyno numbers.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I do any tuning/dyno i will be calling you Rick for direction. Performance Plus here in Saskatoon has a good rep for tuning I hear.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Theres a fancy speed shop here in Richmond, VA, National Speed, that does a lot of Hemi dyno tuning on blown motors. Interesting…
Buddy of mine does test and tune nights at the strip, I may join him one night. Its a curiosity.