Turbo chargers for the 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
First you'll spend a few thousand on the turbo. Then you'll spend a few thousand on the tranny. Then you'll spend a few thousand on the rear end. Then you'll start all over again in a few thousand miles. Especially if your towing. Been there, done that.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Being a centrifugal , I don't think the drivetrain load would be nearly as bad as a positive displacement or even some turbo setups. The downside is every Procharger I've heard was pretty loud, even with the helical gear option. It also won't make low end power like a PD blower, where the Hemi really needs it.

But right now it's the only game in town and at least they delivered. Unlike Whipple, who have been promising a kit for years now.

Last edited:

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the Viking, do you still have the Hemi? hows the headers and gears treating you? yea i talked to whipple yesterday and they are "still developing" the kit. i think with the new 6.4 8spd option they are realizing guys want it!

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
In my opinion I think Whipple is so far behind that they'll never produce one for our motors.

Blue Mule

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the Viking, do you still have the Hemi? hows the headers and gears treating you? yea i talked to whipple yesterday and they are "still developing" the kit. i think with the new 6.4 8spd option they are realizing guys want it!

Love the headers, no leaks or other issues in 50k+ miles. I never did gears (just the optional 4.10's) and definitely next on my list. Having driven a new 8 speed Power Wagon helps confirm how much these trucks need gearing to help wake them up.

Really too bad Whipple never got their act together on this kit but perhaps it's for the better. I suspect the tranny would not take kindly to all the extra low end torque.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love the headers, no leaks or other issues in 50k+ miles. I never did gears (just the optional 4.10's) and definitely next on my list. Having driven a new 8 speed Power Wagon helps confirm how much these trucks need gearing to help wake them up.

Really too bad Whipple never got their act together on this kit but perhaps it's for the better. I suspect the tranny would not take kindly to all the extra low end torque.

yea i would think a 5th gen 8spd swap would be in the near future with the procharger. got a good quote in wisconsin for the kit and install, 7700 bucks. would be a week of tuning on the dyno. planning on doing the kit and headers this march when the bonus rolls in, starting a youtube channel around it.

Mach123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 6.7 diesel 350 k, 2007 f170 396k
What's the most hp you can get from a custom tune for the 6.4
Thx

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the most hp you can get from a custom tune for the 6.4
Thx

i mean its subjective and not enough to really feel. I can tell you after 2 tunes on 91 octane, the best part is the transmission tuning and shift pressures are the real sticking points. some tuners claim up to 30HP on 91 octane though.

Mach123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 6.7 diesel 350 k, 2007 f170 396k
So what's best thing to tune tranny and not cost as much to get 30hp, might as well just get the peddle commander.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pedal commander is just going to make the truck feel better, not add HP. Tuning on a stock truck isn't going to make as much sense as it would with some supporting mods (headers, etc). I haven't seen any really noticeable mods on these trucks that didn't cost some serious money.

IMO, the best thing you can do for the tranny is buy a converter.