Turbo/Exhaust Brake/??? Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My4x4tune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. My 2015 RAM 6.7 Cummins has decided to give me fits lately. I recently had to replace the turbo (warranty covered that heavens!) in my 2015. Due to the ”pandemic” there has been, as most know, a shortage of chips used for the various controllers in new vehicles as of late. This has had a direct impact on parts for earlier model vehicles too. Anyway, I had to replace my turbo and due to the chip shortage there were literally NO factory turbos available from ANYONE! Seriously, no one in the continental US had one, so I had to go with a reman from a reputable (??) parts place. After 2 turbos my mechanic got one that ran more than a week. A month later (and now OEM turbos are limited in supply, too late for this guy) I start having an issue where the exhaust brake, whether switched on or off, seems to kick in while decelerating and coming to a stop. The problem seems to be that the exhaust brake doesn’t kick off and the engine bogs down and quits. Sometimes after stopping and sometimes just before, anytime after going below 1200rpms. The engine will restart immediatly and runs fine until I prepare to stop again, then rinse and repeat. This happens with exhaust brake on or off (in any mode) or the tow/haul on or off, but not every time. My truck will do this until it drives me mad, then will stop and the problem will go away for whatever time my truck feels I’m getting my sanity back then it does it again! ANY ideas, experiences, fixes or ??? Love my truck and even after this I wouldn’t even consider getting rid of it, so a fix is the desirable outcome. Otherwise I’ll just have to take up drinking to cope!! LOL!! Thanks in advance to all! Also, No warning or check engine indicators but did have my mechanic check for any codes…none, thanks!!!

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Surprised nobody responded to this. I'd check linkage and the wiring to the exhaust brake.

gregjo1948

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9l
I have an exhaust brake on my 2001 5.9L with a manual trans. and it is on whenever I completely let off on the accelerator. It does not kill the engine.

OP
OP
My4x4tune

My4x4tune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
I meant to get back to this thread with my resolution and forgot. Anyway, my mechanic found an issue with the chip (imagine that) for the VGT. Completely replaced the VGT setup and no issues since. Thanks for the feedback from you folks.