Turbo life expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have seen various threads of turbo failures at various mileages but mainly below 150K. What is the realistic turbo life expectancy in these 6.7 Cummins? Can they go 300K+ miles or is that a fantasy?

I understand failures for a given item are a running average but people are not going to post when things are going good, so all the anecdotal info is just on the failures.

Thanks for any input.

Reactions: SyN

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem is the answer is based on use. A stock truck unloaded will have a lot less stress and heat cycling on a turbo and its bearing and seals more than a truck that works it entire life loaded to capacity, or a tuned truck running more boost than the factory settings. The turbos are designed with an expected replacement of 250,000 miles but this can vary greatly based on load, location, and maintenance. Most turbo failures Ive seen are based on the bearing wearing out, it is spinning in 6 digit rpm range quite often so its a part that does a great job, but lubrication is its key to life. Oil not only keeps it happy, but also takes a part in cooling the center section, I know there is a water jacket as well, but both do the job of removing heat.

So the real question is, what will you be doing with your truck? Will it be a hopped up tuned up tweaked out racer, loaded up with a 15k trailer every day of its life, or just a grocery wagon?

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

So the real question is, what will you be doing with your truck? Will it be a hopped up tuned up tweaked out racer, loaded up with a 15k trailer every day of its life, or just a grocery wagon?

Thanks for the input. I kinda figured it would boil down to duty cycle. Most towing will be a horse trailer every other weekend and the rest a daily driver.

I am a by the book scheduled maintenance kinda of guy and mainly run just stock and have no plans to run any deletes or tunes. I even actually follow the recommended idle cool down times before turn off. Nor am I racing or flogging it from point to point when I drive it. Basically drive it like "Grandpa" for the most part.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id see no reason it wont last into the 200k range then. Like you said originally there are off the wall cases of a premature failure and people lose their mind over it and its posted everywhere. I can assure you working for a Big 3 dealer, Ive seen very few Turbo replacements in my many years in the car business.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly of the few failures I have heard of, 95% of them were on tuned and deleted trucks. A well maintained stock truck the Turbo should easily last 300K.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly of the few failures I have heard of, 95% of them were on tuned and deleted trucks. A well maintained stock truck the Turbo should easily last 300K.

At least its not the 6.0 Powerstroke. Regardless of internet folklore it was a great motor, once tuned it was trash unless you fully built the top end "bullet proof" if not it was a hand grenade with the pin pulled

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
At least its not the 6.0 Powerstroke. Regardless of internet folklore it was a great motor, once tuned it was trash unless you fully built the top end "bullet proof" if not it was a hand grenade with the pin pulled

^^^ yeah at least it’s not a 6.0 powerJOKE ^^^

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I even actually follow the recommended idle cool down times before turn off. Nor am I racing or flogging it from point to point when I drive it. Basically drive it like "Grandpa" for the most part.

It's not the flogging of the turbo (unless your tuned) that's hard on it, but not letting cool down before shutting down(especially if your running dino instead of synthetic). I've been told this by a couple of mechanic friends.

GunnerJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then I'm screwed in 10k, dangit
Damn...that means my truck is going to turbo hell in 50K miles then. :D

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
08 6.7. Deleted, edge w/juice, 99% of run time towing (heavy). Turbo smoked at around 90k.

This is my dads truck and it was run hard by “disgruntled employees”.

90K under these conditions is pretty impressive. Not kidding about the 99% of the time towing. This truck switches between 2 different long goosenecks, the longer one is 40’. Yes it’s a dually. The 6 speed auto has been rebuilt and upgraded 3 times. It now has almost 113k

IMO, the old 94 with a 12 valve (still being used) is a way better truck. Odo stopped a couple years ago at 240K. 5 speed manual of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tucka71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
K
The problem is the answer is based on use. A stock truck unloaded will have a lot less stress and heat cycling on a turbo and its bearing and seals more than a truck that works it entire life loaded to capacity, or a tuned truck running more boost than the factory settings. The turbos are designed with an expected replacement of 250,000 miles but this can vary greatly based on load, location, and maintenance. Most turbo failures Ive seen are based on the bearing wearing out, it is spinning in 6 digit rpm range quite often so its a part that does a great job, but lubrication is its key to life. Oil not only keeps it happy, but also takes a part in cooling the center section, I know there is a water jacket as well, but both do the job of removing heat.

Keep up on keeping egr clean....every 75k miles

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Unfortunately my turbo just failed. Not deleted, fully stock only 25 K on the truck but warranty ran out 12 days ago. Not looking forward to it. dealership said they would try and cover about $2K of it. They told me they reset the P00AF code under a TSB and that might work, but I have my doubts. I might have to contact head office to see if they'll help. Which I doubt. After that I guess maybe a lawyer as I contact the dealership the day my warranty ran out for a check engine light but no codes, they told me not to worry about it, if anything came up they would help, now 12 days later blown turbo but little help.