Turbo no 2 is *****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Got a check engine light while towing my fifth wheel toy hauler today. It appears to be the turbo, no power going up any kind of hill (large or small). I had this happen once before and got a shiny new turbo under warranty.
The service advisor told me the turbo was “Sooted up” When I asked him what caused the turbo to “Soot up” he stated it was because I did not use the exhaust brake enough. As my blood started to boil, I told him I was a professional truck driver and I always have the EB on. Told him it drives my wife nuts.

Retired now, but drove a Peterbilt Super Tag with a big Cummins and never drove without the EB. Never had or heard of any turbo issues due to EB. So pretty sure the service advisor was taking out his butt.

I have an apt with a dealer next week to have it looked at. My extended warranty should cover the whole thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the turbo failed again?

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They told you that because they want you to think it’s your fault, not poor build quality.
Had a friend whose bumpers rusted out on his 4 year old Tahoe. Dealer tried to tell him needs to wash his car more often and that they were not covered under the corrosion warranty. My friend listened patiently and asked “So if I washed it more often, the bumpers wouldn’t have rusted?”. Dealer said “Yes”. He then informed him that he owned the car wash on the other side of town and the car has been washed every single day if it’s life. Dealer said “We’ll order you new bumpers”.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hard to say why without knowing if it was the physical turbo or the actuator that keeps failing. Actuator failures seem to be slightly more common than physical turbo failures perhaps due to the nature of electronics. Any details on the nature of the failure?

OP
OP
J

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Not details yet. Truck sat for two days after parking 5th wheel in our spot. Had to go into town on day 3. Check engine light gone. ??? No idea whats going on. Apt at dealer on Wednesday, will see what they come up with. Stand by for more.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The government forces the engine builder to suck exhaust gases back through the engine to "control emissions" and then they wonder why everything gets sooted up and fails. Go figure. As for the exhaust brake, the turbo actuator really doesn't get any type of lubrication so corrosion will cause issues....Looking at the design, you have to wonder if maybe they need to engage some type of performance metal coatings to prevent it. I'm just thinking out loud here.

OP
OP
J

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Dealer could not find anything wrong… go figure.
Moved the fifth wheel about 120 miles, no issues. Truck ran as it should, pulled the hills great, EB worked as expected on the downhills.
Guess all is well…knock wood!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Got a check engine light while towing my fifth wheel toy hauler today. It appears to be the turbo, no power going up any kind of hill (large or small). I had this happen once before and got a shiny new turbo under warranty.
The service advisor told me the turbo was “Sooted up” When I asked him what caused the turbo to “Soot up” he stated it was because I did not use the exhaust brake enough. As my blood started to boil, I told him I was a professional truck driver and I always have the EB on. Told him it drives my wife nuts.

Retired now, but drove a Peterbilt Super Tag with a big Cummins and never drove without the EB. Never had or heard of any turbo issues due to EB. So pretty sure the service advisor was taking out his butt.

I have an apt with a dealer next week to have it looked at. My extended warranty should cover the whole thing.

He is not a Mechanic.
he is not even a 'Service Advisor'

He is a Salesmen, who recommends High Profit Work be done.
He;s not really tha Knowledgable, rarely even smart.
Can just talk tohers into doing dumb stuff, wasting their money getting it done at the triple Dealership Cost,, vs a independent shop and projects an aura of Knoweldge, since he works at a Dealership, in teh Service Dept.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
FYI the Jake Brake aka EB on a Cummins in a Semi you drove is not the same as the EB on your 6.7 Cummins, iirc it was known that some of the turbo problems on earlier 6.7 was due to soot build up that was then blamed on owners not using the EB enough an most likely why SA said what he did to you about not using EB enough...

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

Just drop an in-frame N14 in there and be done with it ;)

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Buddy's turbo/JB just went out as well at 120k miles. It was ~$4k for a small shop to fix it. You can't get individual parts, have to buy the whole assembly.

Worst - the dealer told him since the truck was over 10 years old and they're slammed, they wouldn't work on his truck (hence the small shop route). Da-hell? People just don't like money any more.

OP
OP
J

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Jake brakes and exhaust brakes are completely different. Jake brakes turn the engine into a compressor. They are not available for smaller engines like those in our pickups. Jake brakes are way more effective and are usually very loud, thats why you see signs near citys banning jake brake use. Exhaust brakes are very simple devices that partially block off the exhaust. Not as effective, but better than nothing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They told you that because they want you to think it’s your fault, not poor build quality.
Had a friend whose bumpers rusted out on his 4 year old Tahoe. Dealer tried to tell him needs to wash his car more often and that they were not covered under the corrosion warranty. My friend listened patiently and asked “So if I washed it more often, the bumpers wouldn’t have rusted?”. Dealer said “Yes”. He then informed him that he owned the car wash on the other side of town and the car has been washed every single day if it’s life. Dealer said “We’ll order you new bumpers”.
Wish I was there for that , good job !

2ndLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter Cummings Turbo Diesel
My check engine light came on for the turbo. The mechanic at my favorite shop told me to use the EB and hopefully that would clear it out some. Otherwise, he said that I would have to replace it for $3500. It is a 2008 Big Horn Diesel. Is this true or did he see me coming? He has never steered me wrong before.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What codes does it have being the CEL could be for the turbo actuator or the turbo its self... A City Diesel Rebuilt Turbo cost is $2050. not counting $1000. core and an actuator $770.: https://www.citydiesel.net/index.php?action=viewitem&itemid=10601&cat=18

From City Diesel: If you have a P226C or P226B code do not replace the actuator without carefully confirming your turbocharger is good. These codes more commonly indicate a failed/stuck turbo vanes.