Turn Signal Out message with LED bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdcarnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may have been covered but can't find it when searching through the forum. I had a tail light bulb go out so I went to get a replacement. Picked up some Sylvania Zevo 3157 LED bulbs at the parts store and went ahead and switched out both sides (left and right). The bulbs are working (although may not be as bright as they should be) but I am getting a message stating that both the right and left turn signal lights are out. I verified that both are working though. Is it just that these bulbs are not compatible with my truck? It is a 2014 1500 tradesman. Original bulb had a part number of 3157K.

Thanks for any advice.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s because they use less electricity so the CANBUS system that is super picky in our trucks thinks that the bulbs are out. If you have AlfaOBD you can change the setting in your BCM to see LEDs and the issue will be gone. Otherwise, you’re going to always get that notification on the dash. You can also check to see if anyone in your area has AlfaOBD and is willing to help you out??

OP
OP
cdcarnes

cdcarnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I may just take them back and replace them with regular bulbs for now. Don't have time to mess with it and honestly, they aren't quite bright enough.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Stay away from the LED bulbs they have in local stores (ie Auto Zone, AAP, Walmart, etc...). Poor quality and not much light output. To use LED bulbs in brake lights / turn signals you need to add resistors.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Stay away from the LED bulbs they have in local stores (ie Auto Zone, AAP, Walmart, etc...). Poor quality and not much light output. To use LED bulbs in brake lights / turn signals you need to add resistors.

Or get AlfaOBD and change the settings. I did that when I got LED bulbs for my cargo, reverse, 3rd brake light, and HID headlights and I don’t get any messages. You can get some good quality LEDs from Luyed on Amazon that don’t trigger the messages as well.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look for "CanBus Compliant" LED bulbs.

They are designed to show the system the proper voltage, using resistors, and are very bright compared to standard non-automotive 12V LED bulbs.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Or get AlfaOBD and change the settings. I did that when I got LED bulbs for my cargo, reverse, 3rd brake light, and HID headlights and I don’t get any messages. You can get some good quality LEDs from Luyed on Amazon that don’t trigger the messages as well.

I’m OK with Amazon, the ‘local’ stores are a no-go. I’ve been using the same company for all my LED bulbs for 10+ years no issue.

https://www.vleds.com/

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sheriff, those seem a little pricey compared to the bulbs from Amazon that I’ve been getting. But, I respect the fact that you’ve had good luck with them. Thanks for pointing out an option at least.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

HI, qq. So i replaced my 3rd brake light to an LED version. Do i need to go into AlphaOBD and enable LED for that. I am not aware if that is even an option? I know for fog lights and headlights, etc it is. Do you know?

Mattcamp5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What all settings did you change for rear turn signals. I’ve changed all settings on AlfaOBD I could find and still having issue with hyper flash and bulb out warning for rear turn signals. 13 ram 1500

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What all settings did you change for rear turn signals. I’ve changed all settings on AlfaOBD I could find and still having issue with hyper flash and bulb out warning for rear turn signals. 13 ram 1500
There's 3 total for the rear, led tail lamps, led turn and led brake. Make sure you clear any codes that are stored on the bcm using alfaobd, then let it sit for a while. If you are still getting errors after letting the truck rest, in the key off position for an hour or 3, verify that all the leds on the bulb light up, if they don't, it's enough to trigger a bulb out warning. If the bulb checks out ok, and still get the errors, it's possible the bulb socket could be faulty and triggering the code.