Turning 71 and just need to rant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, it has the different driver options. Sorry to hear about your Pacifica.
We had two and that last one was awful. Both were bought new. Watch out for that stop start battery ours left us stranded. The different driver options are neat.

MN2500

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr ecoTorque
I have wi-fi and really like it because it is AT&T. Not so much because it is AT&T but because our phone service is with Verizon and where Verizon does not have service AT&T does. We have wi-fi calling on our phones so we always are able to make and send calls no matter where we are. Whitewater State Park, just north of here is in a valley that does not get Verizon, but there is an AT&T tower real close.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have wi-fi and really like it because it is AT&T. Not so much because it is AT&T but because our phone service is with Verizon and where Verizon does not have service AT&T does. We have wi-fi calling on our phones so we always are able to make and send calls no matter where we are. Whitewater State Park, just north of here is in a valley that does not get Verizon, but there is an AT&T tower real close.
Blast from the past! I used to hunt deer and trout fish in Whitewater State Park. Lived in Rochester for 30 years. Beautiful park. The "little people" kind of overran the place though. Hopefully that is not an issue anymore.

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
The 3G cell system was supposed to end in 2021 but was extended into 2022.
Different providers will stop at different times but from what I've found, by mid year they're most likely all done with 3G.
Check with yours.
I have a friend who had an older flip phone and her provider sent her a new flip phone that works on the 4G system no charge.
I think the big providers will probably completely discontinue the flip in favor of smart phones...more money for them.
We have an '18 Grand Cherokee but it doesn't have the UC system.
I didn't really know about it when we bought it.
Even without it, it handles phone and text and I can connect to it by cable to use Google Maps on the display.
It's the wife's vehicle and she has enough figuring out working the phone.
We do have the Sirius XM which is great.
Too much gadgetry means more to go wrong.....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that i have had my new Flip Phone for maybe 7 months
New Company i believe
called
Sonim
FirstNet and B14 ready, Military rated and with Noise Cancellation
I am around running semi trucks all the time & need a loud speaker phone

100dB+ speaker with noise cancellation​

I have no idea if it is 3G or what ?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I just saw this article for NJ today talking about it. They list providers and when you'll most likely lose the 3g service

DJ18hemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Blast from the past! I used to hunt deer and trout fish in Whitewater State Park. Lived in Rochester for 30 years. Beautiful park. The "little people" kind of overran the place though. Hopefully that is not an issue anymore.
Definitely depends on the day for who is at Whitewater. Big flood re-routed a lot of stream beds in 2014.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
The '18 and newer radios support AndroidAuto/CarPlay, basically your phone works through and on the radio screen. Navigation along with voice texting and dialing are massively better than UConnect. Being that it comes from your phone, there no UConnect charge to use it.
I'm using a GPS system as my Navigation System. When I purchased my year old Ram Truck the sales guy showed me how I could use my Android Phone via UCONNECT for my Navigation needs. However, this would require me to use my Data on my phone. My Verizon agreement gives me 4G of data a month. So I'm concerned about using too much on my Navigation needs.

Am I looking at this wrong? Is there a way to have live Navigation without over using my Data?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The '18 and newer radios support AndroidAuto/CarPlay, basically your phone works through and on the radio screen. Navigation along with voice texting and dialing are massively better than UConnect. Being that it comes from your phone, there no UConnect charge to use it.
^^^ DITTO ^^^

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using a GPS system as my Navigation System. When I purchased my year old Ram Truck the sales guy showed me how I could use my Android Phone via UCONNECT for my Navigation needs. However, this would require me to use my Data on my phone. My Verizon agreement gives me 4G of data a month. So I'm concerned about using too much on my Navigation needs.

Am I looking at this wrong? Is there a way to have live Navigation without over using my Data?
I'll make a suggestion, don't beat me up. U should have Car play/Android capable being a MY 19. Uconnect navigation and paying for it a joke,. Upgrade your phone plan to unlimited and use your phone for all your needs w/o Data Limitations and funky Uconnect service. Just a suggestion. Why when I bought MY 19 Bighorn, it has a Plain Jane Uconnect 4 Radio: No NAV/Guardian/911, do all over phone through Car Play and Other features in radio not Uconnect.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Turkeybird56,

I appreciate the feedback. It looks like we have a few things in common. I ride a Harley as well as respect Reagan and his kind. I'm just starting to look at a different way of Navigating with my Ram 2019. After buying it used in 2020 I thought the best way to navigate was via my GPS which I have connected sitting on my Console.

I would like to have it displayed up on my UCONNECT/Radio screen. It seems like you understand all of this. Would you connect with me via my email contact? I use a Android Phone (I'm not an Apple person and refuse to go that side) and would like to look at another way vice the small GPS sitting below my eyeline.

[email protected]

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ARGH, Android, I have a "apple", ie., I Phone 11. Not know ne thing on Android. But the Radio System is Android Capable, not remember wat they call it. Do a screen shot of your screen display on yer 8.4, so I have a clue what U have. There are a lot More PPL way smarter than I on this and maybe they can chime in. Not sure if your screen will display a GPS (like a Garmin), there is no input, but PPL have modified stuff. I use Maps off of my Phone and/or Google Maps, which will display on U connect screen when U hook up with a cable into the radio system. Actually running through your phone but displayed.

ADDED: Can somebody chime in here and help this OP, who R better than me and know ANDROID systems, since I have I Phone.

CAVEAT: I have an old Garmin that I carry when I take a trip for emergencies, used to Ride HD, but went to Honda for wife.

DSCN0319a.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Navigation doesn't use much data at all, it's when you start stream video or music that racks up the data usage. You should be able to set a data usage alert that will warn if you get close to your limit.
Are you sure it's 4Gig? That seems like an odd number. Go talk to your Verizon sales rep, there's has to be a better data plan than 4Gig nowadays. They're pushing unlimited plans pretty heavy and the defined data plans can actually cost you more per month.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turkeybird56,

I appreciate the feedback. It looks like we have a few things in common. I ride a Harley as well as respect Reagan and his kind. I'm just starting to look at a different way of Navigating with my Ram 2019. After buying it used in 2020 I thought the best way to navigate was via my GPS which I have connected sitting on my Console.

I would like to have it displayed up on my UCONNECT/Radio screen. It seems like you understand all of this. Would you connect with me via my email contact? I use a Android Phone (I'm not an Apple person and refuse to go that side) and would like to look at another way vice the small GPS sitting below my eyeline.

[email protected]
Sent U an email.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Navigation doesn't use much data at all, it's when you start stream video or music that racks up the data usage. You should be able to set a data usage alert that will warn if you get close to your limit.
Are you sure it's 4Gig? That seems like an odd number. Go talk to your Verizon sales rep, there's has to be a better data plan than 4Gig nowadays. They're pushing unlimited plans pretty heavy and the defined data plans can actually cost you more per month.
YUP, he needs to upgrade to unlimited than use his Android phone thru Uconnect 4 radio and he be good to go.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Agreed. How close to your limit do you come each month? How much will you be using nav in your truck? Sounds like you already have it interfaced via Android Auto, so just use it for a while and watch your usage.

I played the "stay under X amount of data per month" game for a long time. Finally upgraded to unlimited for not much more money. Has opened up the world of online content (blogs, music, etc). Glad I did it.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
YUP, he needs to upgrade to unlimited than use his Android phone thru Uconnect 4 radio and he be good to go.
Turns out I found that I will use little data (about 200 MB) for over 450 hours of use. So my 4G of data is more than enough.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Agreed. How close to your limit do you come each month? How much will you be using nav in your truck? Sounds like you already have it interfaced via Android Auto, so just use it for a while and watch your usage.

I played the "stay under X amount of data per month" game for a long time. Finally upgraded to unlimited for not much more money. Has opened up the world of online content (blogs, music, etc). Glad I did it.
I use very little (about 0.2 G of my 4G Monthly Data) After some help I believe I will use very little of my Data. One Report stated I would use about 200 MB of data for 450 hours of use on the GPS Uconnect and Google Maps.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Download the maps to your phone when you're on your home network. Google maps lets you download both routes and general areas so the map is already on your phone and the only data used is traffic data, etc. We routinely do this when traveling to areas that have lousy coverage (say, Death Valley) or where our data will be limited (say, Madrid). You use almost no data that way. Then you can delete the maps you don't need any longer if you aren't going back to that area or keep them and it'll automatically update occasionally on your home network.