U Connect with mind of its own!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilkster66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys, hoping someone can help with this. Last year my 8” display started doing some things that weren’t normal. Started with message about setting the clock, then started clicking noise while flashing a bit and one time the radio automatically went to maximum volume. This issue came and went a few times and usually stopped for a bit after turning off truck. Earlier this year when using Waze with my IPhone connected all kinds of things started happening…station changed from SXM to FM, screen came up that was trying to play music from a playlist I didn’t have, wanted to play Pandora even though the app was closed and I lost all control of the screen. I disconnected my phone and the clicking and flashing were still there. The problem has only gotten worse as today I tried to answer a call and couldn’t. Then the screen started scrolling through my contacts on my phone and really went crazy. Weird thing is these issues don’t start right away any usually take between 10-20 minutes to start.

If anyone has experienced this or can shed some light on this I’d greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance!!
Matt

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
What was reported by other owners, usually it ends up with a replacement happening of the unit.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could try contacting Ram Cares but since you have the dreaded 2018 melting radio there are options.
Search this site for digitizers. You’ll see a lot of info. I tried to clean the melting glue but was too hard on the digitizer and had to replace it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi guys, hoping someone can help with this. Last year my 8” display started doing some things that weren’t normal. Started with message about setting the clock, then started clicking noise while flashing a bit and one time the radio automatically went to maximum volume. This issue came and went a few times and usually stopped for a bit after turning off truck. Earlier this year when using Waze with my IPhone connected all kinds of things started happening…station changed from SXM to FM, screen came up that was trying to play music from a playlist I didn’t have, wanted to play Pandora even though the app was closed and I lost all control of the screen. I disconnected my phone and the clicking and flashing were still there. The problem has only gotten worse as today I tried to answer a call and couldn’t. Then the screen started scrolling through my contacts on my phone and really went crazy. Weird thing is these issues don’t start right away any usually take between 10-20 minutes to start.

If anyone has experienced this or can shed some light on this I’d greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance!!
Matt
What you are referring too is called "ghost touches" and it will occur because of a combination of over heating and a bad adhesive used between the screen and the digitizer.

If caught early enough (before the screen delaminates) it can be fixed. It requires opening the radio and replacing the inferior thermal material with better thermal material (~$20) and in my case I added two 80mm fans to the back of the radio to provide active cooling. I also insulated between the HVAC ducts with rigid pieces of foam as the ghost touches would occur sporadically again when I had the heat on full blast in the winter.

The aforementioned fixes cost about $50. To fix it with a new digitizer is about $120-$200 and pretty labor intensive. To replace the screen assembly (digitizer and LCD) is about $400 and finally to replace the radio will cost anywhere between $600-$1200 (used to new).