OP
OP
Ryno1500

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I went through the same steps as listed above, but now I got a blank dark screen. I can still confirm that the radio still illuminates lights from the screen and that's it. Is the screen just dead?
Also, check that the individual wire connections are properly seated back in place. They do take a small amount of force.

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check the ribbon cables. They likely aren't seated properly or are installed backwards...the ends are labeled for the connection side they get plugged into (ie display). They can plug in to either
Apparently I had the ribbon for video feed installed the wrong way. Thank goodness it's not dead. Everything works fine now except I'm unable to choose the "select source" button on the screen, but I have other ways of playing music with Android Auto.

Last edited:

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m in the process of tackling this job except I am going to use loca. Sounds like most just used some double sided tape between the digitizer and LCD. Gonna be a couple of days before I can finish up as I’m waiting on the loca, but at least the cleaning is done for the most part.

After cleaning the digitizer and LCD, I separated the LCD from the backlight and there was more loca in the bottom of the backlight. Well I took the backlight apart and cleaned it up as well. Since I have a few days, I may go back and clean everything a little more before I attempt to apply new loca. Hopefully all goes well. Photo was before I dug into the backlight.

Attachments

• B460A4C0-A222-4802-A9D1-61DD261CA91D.jpeg
    B460A4C0-A222-4802-A9D1-61DD261CA91D.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 4

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m in the process of tackling this job except I am going to use loca. Sounds like most just used some double sided tape between the digitizer and LCD. Gonna be a couple of days before I can finish up as I’m waiting on the loca, but at least the cleaning is done for the most part.

After cleaning the digitizer and LCD, I separated the LCD from the backlight and there was more loca in the bottom of the backlight. Well I took the backlight apart and cleaned it up as well. Since I have a few days, I may go back and clean everything a little more before I attempt to apply new loca. Hopefully all goes well. Photo was before I dug into the backlight.
I did this too but I was unsuccessful at ridding the display of ghost touches. That may not be an issue for you though, especially if you are digging deeper and cleaning more. I also think the ghost touching may be the result of not replacing the factory adhesive around the perimeter of the screen that contains the Loca to a specific area and also creates a uniform gap between screen and digitizer.

To pile on something else I've found. I was able to correct a early screen that has bad loca by managing heat around the radio. The fans and replacement thermal pads I added prevented the screen from delamination so far but were not enough to stop infrequent ghost touches when using my heat in the winter. Adding thick rigid foam insulation between the radio and the air vents flanking it removed all ghost touch issues for me.

I suspect that the bad local would have been "good enough" if these radios didn't get so hot under normal operating conditions.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this too but I was unsuccessful at ridding the display of ghost touches. That may not be an issue for you though, especially if you are digging deeper and cleaning more. I also think the ghost touching may be the result of not replacing the factory adhesive around the perimeter of the screen that contains the Loca to a specific area and also creates a uniform gap between screen and digitizer.

To pile on something else I've found. I was able to correct a early screen that has bad loca by managing heat around the radio. The fans and replacement thermal pads I added prevented the screen from delamination so far but were not enough to stop infrequent ghost touches when using my heat in the winter. Adding thick rigid foam insulation between the radio and the air vents flanking it removed all ghost touch issues for me.

I suspect that the bad local would have been "good enough" if these radios didn't get so hot under normal operating conditions.
Funny you say that, I also ordered a roll of adhesive tape marketed for cell phone repair (very thin) that I am going to use to replace all the tape that I took off while cleaning everything. I’m hoping that helps as well. I should be able to start putting it all back together Thursday night. My biggest concern right now is the UV light and Loca that I ordered. I really hope it does the trick. The light takes a specific battery that I also had to order and am waiting on.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Funny you say that, I also ordered a roll of adhesive tape marketed for cell phone repair (very thin) that I am going to use to replace all the tape that I took off while cleaning everything. I’m hoping that helps as well. I should be able to start putting it all back together Thursday night. My biggest concern right now is the UV light and Loca that I ordered. I really hope it does the trick. The light takes a specific battery that I also had to order and am waiting on.
One thing I found when curing the Local was that the UV flashlight I used appeared to cure the Local in the shape of the light (I could see circles in the screen in certain lighting conditions. You might be able to mitigate this by using a large light that covers the screen completely or mounting the light high up enough that its light covers the screen and cures uniformly (might need to cure longer with the light farther away)...

Good luck! I'll be interested to hear your results!

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
got the loca today (amazon purchase) and of course it's expired. Gonna test it out before I attempt to use it. Really hoping it's still good. And the light I have is pretty small. Wondering if I can keep it moving if I can avoid that. Lot to think about.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
got the loca today (amazon purchase) and of course it's expired. Gonna test it out before I attempt to use it. Really hoping it's still good. And the light I have is pretty small. Wondering if I can keep it moving if I can avoid that. Lot to think about.
I tried to keep it moving but apparently it cures very quick and will leave optical imperfections...

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried to keep it moving but apparently it cures very quick and will leave optical imperfections...
Here is the end result. Everything is working as it should. I took your advise and let it cure outside in the sunlight. Only issue is the digitizer moved ever so slightly to the left when I carried it outside and I didn’t notice it in time. Was already stuck in place.

There is one small mark at the bottom left of the screen but doesn’t effect the digitizer. Not sure if that is a burn mark in the LCD or possible a low spot in the loca? Either way, for a $200 radio and probably close to $50 in supplies I take it. Just need to check it at night time to make sure there is no loca between the LCD and backlight (assuming I’ll be able to see it better at night).

Edit: those are finger prints on the glass in the first photo from testing it out.

Attachments

• 78FF6BB3-2C74-4AD3-AD3E-577BDE4288B8.jpeg
    78FF6BB3-2C74-4AD3-AD3E-577BDE4288B8.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 4419BA6A-2892-4D26-BBDD-2799BFC273DD.jpeg
    4419BA6A-2892-4D26-BBDD-2799BFC273DD.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DE7A28CA-2F4E-4D48-A542-44044A776F30.jpeg
    DE7A28CA-2F4E-4D48-A542-44044A776F30.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is the end result. Everything is working as it should. I took your advise and let it cure outside in the sunlight. Only issue is the digitizer moved ever so slightly to the left when I carried it outside and I didn’t notice it in time. Was already stuck in place.

There is one small mark at the bottom left of the screen but doesn’t effect the digitizer. Not sure if that is a burn mark in the LCD or possible a low spot in the loca? Either way, for a $200 radio and probably close to $50 in supplies I take it. Just need to check it at night time to make sure there is no loca between the LCD and backlight (assuming I’ll be able to see it better at night).

Edit: those are finger prints on the glass in the first photo from testing it out.
Glad it worked out for you! Maybe I'll give the one I have another go and be more careful this time...