Uconnect 17.11.17 & RAMs with Cargo & Rear Cameras in Separate Displays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762-MM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yesterday, I OTA updated Uconnect software to version 17.11.17. Like many of us, I’ve been waiting for a while to see what this added to vehicles a few years old.

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 2500 Limited 6.4L
Radio: 8.4AN/RA4

I noticed a specific bug that affects those of us with a Cargo-View Camera AND Parkview Rear Back Up Camera with the display in the rearview mirror (2014 & 2015).

As pointed out by others, toggle buttons for backup and cargo cameras were added to older units. However, for those with separate displays I noticed a couple things:

1. When manually activating the cargo camera, the screen defaults with the cargo camera toggle ON but with a blue screen. I have to press/toggle to the rear back up camera to activate the cargo camera. When I toggle back to the cargo camera, I get the blue screen. See video of cargo camera operation: https://youtu.be/osRhtQiHEuU

2. When shifting into reverse, the backup camera and rearview mirror display activate as normal and as before the update. But with the update, the cargo view display also shows while in reverse (both cameras and both displays). No big deal really. However, the cargo camera toggle button still indicates the view is the rear backup view. See video of me shifting into reverse a couple times: https://youtu.be/Ra0naB4-gFw

Has anyone else observed this?

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I have the same issue on my 2014.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Looks like the new v17 radio software update has the backup and cargo (CHMSL) camera inputs swapped (to match the setup on the 16-17 radios).

Not sure if either of you are willing to post a picture of the back of your radio connector that clearly identifies the wires/colors at the 2 camera inputs, but it would help a lot.

Just a minute...

Original inputs (13-15 radios... w/o mirror bu cam)
______ (Sig / Sig Rtn / Shld)
Backup Cam: 31 / 32 / 33
CHMSL Cam: 21 / 22 / 23 (via CustomTronix Jailbreak)
Front Cam: . 24 / 25 / 26 (or VES via CustomTronix Jailbreak)

Edit:
Your Factory 2014 truck (CHMSL & Bu Cam Mirror) ...
______ (Sig / Sig Rtn / Shld)
CHMSL Cam: 31 / 32 / 33
Backup Cam: Mirror display
Spare input: . 24 / 25 / 26

NEW 16-17 Radio Setup (& radios w/ v17.x SW)
____ (Sig / Sig Rtn / Shld)
Backup Cam: 31 / 32 / 33 (if not in Mirror)
CHMSL Cam: 24 / 25 / 26
Front Cam: . 21 / 22 / 23 (VES - Req's custom SW or module)

Swap 31,32,33 with 24,25,26 and report back.
Reference post from camera thread for getting the pins out...Installing OEM backup cam - Page 3 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Mpg2 Tailgate 11a-1 v2.jpg

Radio C1 & TPA Depopulate Pictures.jpg

General TPA Depopulate steps.jpg

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Actually it doesn’t have it swapped per se. Pre MY16 trucks that have both the cargo cam and backup cam had the backup cam in the mirror and the cargo cam on the radio. The backup cam routes through the mirror jumper up to the mirror. The cargo cam routes to the radio on pins 31,32,33.

The 17.11 firmware replicates the logic of MY16 and up trucks that have the backup cam and the cargo cam on the radio. Th backup cam pins to 31,32,33 on the radio and the cargo cam pins to 24,25,26. To fix the issue, pins 31,32,33 needs to be moved to 24,25,26 and then the backup cam needs to be rerouted from the mirror jumper connector over to pins 31,32,33 on the radio.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Edited previous post with corrected info. I overlooked the fact that you have not rerouted the backup camera display to the radio. DeereGuy was on top of it and explained it better.

If you decide you want the bu cam to display on the radio also (or only), just let us know and we can make you a Reroute harness.

OP
OP

762-MM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the information. When you get a moment, can you confirm back that I am understanding things correctly?

1. To get the cargo/CHMSL cam to operate correctly, I should move pins from 31, 32, 33 to open/spare positions 24, 25, 26. Then when selecting the cargo cam I should get the video feed correctly under the default cargo cam toggle button. If I then toggle the onscreen button to the rear back up cam I’d get the blue screen since nothing is connected to that input. However, shifting into reverse would activate the rear back up camera in the mirror, as usual.

2. If I wanted to have the rear backup cam on the radio screen, I’d need to reroute wires from the rearview mirror jumper connection to the radio, open positions (assuming above was done) 31, 32, 33. Mirror screen would then be dead, but other mirror functions intact (dimming, 911/Assist). Two questions: a) where is the mirror jumper connection located? b) where is the reverse signal that tells the camera/mirror to power up coming from if I am rerouting to the radio…I get how it powers up via radio when manually selecting rear cam, but not exactly how it activates in reverse after reroute.

Hopefully that all made sense.

Again, thanks for spending time on this. I really do appreciate the detail and your effort. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at how FCA could release an update that overlooks something like this. But really, wow.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the information. When you get a moment, can you confirm back that I am understanding things correctly?
Why FCA changed the 2 video inputs around for 16 & 17 would be a great question.
F riggin
C onnector
A narchy

You are exactly correct. Plus...

If you do the backup reroute from the connector behind the passenger side air vent (i340/mirror jumper Connector, pins 8,9,10 I think, don't have my notes in front of me) you have the following 2 possible scenarios...

1) splice/Solder into the 3 video wires at the connector and send it over to the radio at 31,32,33. This would display the backup camera in the mirror, AND on the radio correctly via the menu button/while in reverse.

2) Disconnect the 3 video wires at the i340 going up to the mirror and replace with 3 new, pinned wires that route over to the radio at 31,32,33. Backup camera would display in reverse on the radio (or with menu button), and the mirror would should a blue screen in reverse.
To prevent the mirror display from turning on, you'd need to disconnect the Lin Bus CBC 2 signal (pin 6 I believe), but this may affect AutoDim/Auto High Beam features unless you replaced with a mirror without the display (plug n play).

Last edited:
OP
OP

762-MM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Moved Pin Connectors...but....

Thanks guys – again, I appreciate the time and instruction.

I pulled the radio and moved the 31, 32, 33 CHMSL/cargo cam pins to 24, 25, 26. Now I do get cargo video when selecting cargo cam with the correct camera indicated on the screen. And, as anticipated I get the blue screen when manually switching to rear back up camera on the radio.

However, what was not expected is now when I shift into reverse, not only do I get the video feed (correctly) into the rearview mirror, I get a blue radio screen any time I’m in reverse. It makes sense I guess since the system/updated software is asking for backup video…and now it isn’t getting anything (before the pin relocation it was getting the cargo view incorrectly).

I’m still partially disassembled and may pull it out again and go back to original incorrect pins just so I don’t get a blue screen in reverse. I cannot believe how poorly FCA planned this. Why ask for a video signal that doesn’t exist (at the radio) AND ask for it in the mirror?!

Unless I splice or divert the mirror backup cam feed to the radio, it appears I’ll be stuck with a blue screen either way:

CHMSL Cam 31,32,33 – blue screen when selecting cargo cam (at least I can toggle over to backup cam button and get cargo view, per original video) OR

CHMSL Cam 24, 25, 26 – blue screen any time I am in reverse. Could split or reroute signal from mirror to 31, 32, 33.

What would happen if I routed CHMSL cargo cam into open 21,22, 23?

Maybe I should just stick a front cam into 31,32,33. CHMSL cargo cam in 24,25,26. Then I could manually toggle between Front (under the guise of backup rear cam) and Cargo. When shifiting into reverse, I’d get rear back up in mirror and then at least get a front cam view in the radio…albeit while backing up.

Also to note from a reference in the last post above – MY14/15 did not allow auto dimming/auto high beam and rain sensing wiper options if you had the CHMSL cargo cam…assuming because the screen mirror was not compatible. But the mirror does have the manual dimming via radio and 911/Assist function. Not sure if that matters…just throwing it out there because it was mentioned.

What a mess – thanks again for your time and thoughts. Oh, and thank you FCA!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Updated post 3 with info to assist those that need to swap the cargo/camera inputs after the v17.x update

yardsale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wanted to thank everyone in this thread for the Informations provided. I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Limited that has the rearview mirror backup camera. After the 17.11.07 software update I had the same problems as stated above. I followed this thread to a T and everything works as it should now. Took me 2.5 hours to complete.

OP
OP

762-MM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hi Yardsale - thanks for posting. Would you mind clarifying what your issue(s) were and what you did to did to resolve those issues? There are so many variants to this thread that specific issues seem sometimes get generalized.

For me, my system Over-The-Air updated to SW version 17.11.17, like a lot of folks. However this version seems to be for those models with both cargo and tailgate cameras routed to the radio. Certain 14/15 models (mine is a 2014 with 8.4AN) have the cameras routed to radio screen and rearview mirror. 17.11.17 added a toggle button and camera defaults that don't correspond to my camera layout/video function.

I checked Mopar/Uconnect website and it shows my VIN needs: "UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.11.07_MY14"...aka 17.11.07...not what was sent via OTA (17.11.17).

@ramcares, dealer, Uconnect support, etc. don't seem to understand the issue. A few on this forum and others do grasp the issue and I've read that 17.11.07 might fix the issue. However, It sounds like you updated to 17.11.07 but had the same issues. I have not been able to figure a way to load that version since my head unit was updated to a "higher" version.

Anyone out there find a resolution? I still have my pins rerouted as mentioned above but that is still not correct.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I believe someone in the know posted (or texted me) that 17.11.07 and 17.11.17 are the same except that one was the OTA and the other is the public download. No other difference.
If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

M² Mods.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
762-MM,
It seems to me the only thing you still need to do is to reroute or splice into the mirror camera feed and pin into 31,32,33. And leave the CHMSL pinned to 24,25,26. Sorry if you already did this and I missed it...

cuttymcgavin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I just got a 15 ram 2500, have the cargo cam on the 8.4 display and bu cam on rear view mirror. was searching how I can swap them or splice them to the large screen and came across this post. So I checked my current version software and need to update to this current software. If I do, will it be a smooth transition or will I need to swap pins for it to work correctly?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey I just got a 15 ram 2500, have the cargo cam on the 8.4 display and bu cam on rear view mirror. was searching how I can swap them or splice them to the large screen and came across this post. So I checked my current version software and need to update to this current software. If I do, will it be a smooth transition or will I need to swap pins for it to work correctly?
Yep. You will likely want to swap the inputs after the update at some point. They won't match the buttons on the screen.

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458159]M² Mods.

cuttymcgavin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah thats what its doing! LOL! I called uconnect and they said they are launching the next update to remedy the hazy screen, and a bunch of other issues and mentioned cargo cam problems. Its supposed to be out end of this month or april, so I am going to wait and see what this next update brings and proceed from there. Thank you for the pin ID's they will come in handy if I am not happy with this next update and want to customize my camera screens! ;)

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Hey guys,

Since my truck is a 2013 but the 8.4 VP4 NA is from a 2016 (I think) can I still do over the air update? I can't do the USB since my USB in the jump seat no longer works. I know I have the 911 stub antenna and I see "3G" on the radio so maybe OTA? If it is possible did I hear correct that after the update my USB port would work again? Looks like there might be a bit more iphone options that will work also. Any information is appreciated :) Thanks!
Jon aka 69mach1 (just finishing up a Mopar backup camera install also)
Now in Fernley,

8_4AN Levi label.JPG Nevada :)

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Since my truck is a 2013 but the 8.4 VP4 NA is from a 2016 (I think) can I still do over the air update? I can't do the USB since my USB in the jump seat no longer works. I know I have the 911 stub antenna and I see "3G" on the radio so maybe OTA? If it is possible did I hear correct that after the update my USB port would work again? Looks like there might be a bit more iphone options that will work also. Any information is appreciated :) Thanks!
Jon aka 69mach1 (just finishing up a Mopar backup camera install also)
Now in Fernley,

View attachment 122539 Nevada :)
The USB in your jumpseat should still work as long as it's connected. I have heard of some people having issues with the media ports showing on the radio with the conversion. Is the USB option not showing on your screen? Your radio should show USB,AUX and Bluetooth. Also in many cases even if the USB doesn't show on your radio if you put the USB stick with the new firmware on it the radio will pick it up and in some cases you can install it that way. You're going to want to make sure you know exactly what year your radio is before you update the firmware because they're all different for the year. You will not be able to do any OTA updates because you are not in the Uconnect system.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Nuts. Not exactly sure just yet whether it's a 2015 or 2016 radio, when I signed up for SiriusXM Radio they said it was a Jeep Cherokee or something like that. I thought the Radio was a 2016 but when I look at my SiriusXM account it now says 2015 Ram. Any definitive way I can find out with the Head unit model & serial number? Since it was a later model radio the USB port didn't work as it only has the blue tooth Icon, no USB or Aux Icons :-( Maybe a mini USB stick (is there such a thing?) could plug directly in the back of the radio? Or maybe I have to get a OBD Genie to enable the USB port and then download the update.

The USB in your jumpseat should still work as long as it's connected. I have heard of some people having issues with the media ports showing on the radio with the conversion. Is the USB option not showing on your screen? Your radio should show USB,AUX and Bluetooth. Also in many cases even if the USB doesn't show on your radio if you put the USB stick with the new firmware on it the radio will pick it up and in some cases you can install it that way. You're going to want to make sure you know exactly what year your radio is before you update the firmware because they're all different for the year. You will not be able to do any OTA updates because you are not in the Uconnect system.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk