UConnect 4 versus 4C Nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I've had the Uconnect 4C Nav since it came out and found it to be quirky at times. Additionally, I was never impressed with the Uconnect app nor the ridiculous subscription price they wanted to charge after the first year. Well, I found the solution on my 2020 as the salesman convinced me to get a Ram that has Uconnect 4 only, and utilize my iPhone via Apple Carplay for navigation, weather, etc., that would normally be provided by the 4C Nav (some of you young guys may know this but some of us older guys have to be dragged into these concepts).

I had my choice of the 12", 4C Nav and 4. I didn't want the 12" due to what appears to be a plethora of issues with it. The 4C Nav is a great unit but I really don't want UConnect/XM Guardian nor did I ever use the XM Traffic as it wasn't applicable to my area of the U.S. Likewise, the annual feel is ridiculous, the 4G WIFI hotspot useless given I had an iPhone which provides the same service (why pay twice), and the Nav always had issues understanding me thus I had to repeat myself when asking for "her" to find an address.

I found the Uconnect 4 to have everything I needed including reliability. Before I made my decision on the Ram I purchased, I researched this forum for both 4th and 5th gens, and found very few issues with the Uconnect 4 (other than update issues which seems to impact the 12, 4C Nav and 4.

For anyone looking to purchase, you might consider what you get with the 4 versus the 4C (plus the cost additional $795 for the 4C Nav) as I've found it more than adequate for my ears even without the HD radio which comes with the 4C.

4C
Total control is at your fingertips with Uconnect® 4C NAV, featuring an 8.4-inch touchscreen, SiriusXM Guardian™( Disclosure5) (12-month trial), Apple CarPlay®( Disclosure7) support, Android Auto( Disclosure8) integration, a 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot( Disclosure9) (3-month/1GB trial), Navigation, integrated Voice Command, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio, SiriusXM®( Disclosure2) (12-month trial), SiriusXM Traffic Plus( Disclosure10) (5-year trial) and SiriusXM Travel Link( Disclosure11) (5-year trial).

UConnect 4
Control is at your fingertips with Uconnect® 4, featuring an 8.4-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay®( Disclosure7) support, Android Auto (Disclosure8) integration, integrated Voice Command, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio and SiriusXM®( Disclosure2) (12-month trial).

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the Uconnect 4C Nav since it came out and found it to be quirky at times. Additionally, I was never impressed with the Uconnect app nor the ridiculous subscription price they wanted to charge after the first year. Well, I found the solution on my 2020 as the salesman convinced me to get a Ram that has Uconnect 4 only, and utilize my iPhone via Apple Carplay for navigation, weather, etc., that would normally be provided by the 4C Nav (some of you young guys may know this but some of us older guys have to be dragged into these concepts).

I had my choice of the 12", 4C Nav and 4C. I didn't want the 12" due to what appears to be a plethora of issues with it. The 4C Nav is a great unit but I really don't want UConnect/XM Guardian nor did I ever use the XM Traffic as it wasn't applicable to my area of the U.S. Likewise, the annual feel is ridiculous, the 4G WIFI hotspot useless given I had an iPhone which provides the same service (why pay twice), and the Nav always had issues understanding me thus I had to repeat myself when asking for "her" to find an address.

I found the Uconnect 4 to have everything I needed including reliability. Before I made my decision on the Ram I purchased, I researched this forum for both 4th and 5th gens, and found very few issues with the Uconnect 4 (other than update issues which seems to impact the 12, 4C Nav and 4.

For anyone looking to purchase, you might consider what you get with the 4 versus the 4C (plus the cost additional $795 for the 4C Nav) as I've found it more than adequate for my ears even without the HD radio which comes with the 4C.

4C
Total control is at your fingertips with Uconnect® 4C NAV, featuring an 8.4-inch touchscreen, SiriusXM Guardian™( Disclosure5) (12-month trial), Apple CarPlay®( Disclosure7) support, Android Auto( Disclosure8) integration, a 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot( Disclosure9) (3-month/1GB trial), Navigation, integrated Voice Command, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio, SiriusXM®( Disclosure2) (12-month trial), SiriusXM Traffic Plus( Disclosure10) (5-year trial) and SiriusXM Travel Link( Disclosure11) (5-year trial).

UConnect 4
Control is at your fingertips with Uconnect® 4, featuring an 8.4-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay®( Disclosure7) support, Android Auto (Disclosure8) integration, integrated Voice Command, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio and SiriusXM®( Disclosure2) (12-month trial).

WHEN I bought MY 19 5th Gen in 2018, there were no 12" yet and I honestly did not know the difference between U 4 and U4C. Well I got the standard U4 with the 8.4" screen, no issues.. WELL, the only issue is: these radio's do not OTA update. ANY updates that are out there U need to go to dealer. But if system working all OK< why even mess with something not broken. So mine does fine in concert with my Overly expensive I Phone, LOL, all IMHO.......

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Agree on the OTA. In fact, my salesman stated this and indicated it was actually a huge selling point of the Uconnect 4 over the other two in that you could control when the update was done. Why be a guinea pig for FCA? Let the other guys suffer the issues with a new update and then decide after a period of time if you want to take the risk to update. Likewise, he showed me how you can go to the UConnect website (see link below), enter your VIN and it will provide a link to the latest update which you can save to a USB and load it yourself - no need to go to the dealer for it unless one prefers to do so. I have to hand it to Jim at Texan CJDR of Humble as he clearly knows his product and reads this as well as other forums.

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree on the OTA. In fact, my salesman stated this and indicated it was actually a huge selling point of the Uconnect 4 over the other two in that you could control when the update was done. Why be a guinea pig for FCA? Let the other guys suffer the issues with a new update and then decide after a period of time if you want to take the risk to update. Likewise, he showed me how you can go to the UConnect website (see link below), enter your VIN and it will provide a link to the latest update which you can save to a USB and load it yourself - no need to go to the dealer for it unless one prefers to do so. I have to hand it to Jim at Texan CJDR of Humble as he clearly knows his product and reads this as well as other forums.

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Have had MY 19 for over 2 years now and the site last time I checked listed no Update, But I know there is an update ref TSB. Maybe be bored one day and drive to Dealership 1 hour away and let em mess with it, but really not wanna mess with Karma.

FYI: If in the future U see an update and decide to do so, MAKE SURE U follow the destructions exactly cause if U do not, U will brick yer radio (especially on USB stick advice).

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Agree with your recommendation 100%...have read far too many horror stories of owners with update issues.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I upgraded my 2015 to a 2018 4C Nav with the carplay and really like the NAV unit way better then the build in maps on my iphone. I really like the "highway panel" showing upcoming gas rest stops and things like that. I also really like the built in weather and other travel link features in the NAV unit and GPS features of the Nav unit are great. I drive cross country this summer and all these features made a huge difference in my opinion. Phone Maps keep getting better but for me anyway the extra features that come with the NAV unit are well worth the extra money.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
The sale staff suggested that I should not purchase a truck for the 12 inch screen alone. If that truck came with it, then okay. My Tradesman has the 8.4 without the nav. I do use Waze for local in the city. But when towing, I use my RV760 GPS for routing according to my height, weight and length. In dash GPS units for me are not practical. And some can cost money to update. My Garmin GPS units all have 'lifetime' maps updates.

I am an Android guy, and find the Android Auto inconsistent. Especially the auto unlock for the Uconnect device. I do still have the free Sirius/XM subscription. We frequently travel to remote locations (mountains) often where data service are not available, and phone service is 1 bar.

I did look at the cost of all the services, and knowing what I know about the Sirius/XM traffic lack of availability in my areas, I knew it was not worth it for me.

tdb94tim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi e torque
Does anyone know if this is the current update etc for Uconnect 4c 2021 ram 1500 Larime? Thanks in advance…….website keeps saying no update available per vin# but I cant see how there’d be no updates at all.

Attachments

• 1713F1CE-06AB-425D-BD5A-AD66BE2795EA.jpeg
    1713F1CE-06AB-425D-BD5A-AD66BE2795EA.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 6

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you upgrade your 8.4 RA4ANav maps
by going to the DriveConnect website
They tell you to first update the radio, before you update the Nav maps

I don't use a smart phone, so fancy gimmicks that Chrysler is coming out with won't be emptying my wallet

Chrysler has added more & more equipment that requires subscriptions

My next Ram, i'll be buying the cheapest radio available & i will be finding a good non Chrysler radio on the Crutchfield site

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye