Uconnect 4 w/ 8.4 display question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This may be a dumb question but I know nothing in regards to this system on a Ram truck. I'm looking to order the unconnect 4 with 8.4 display screen and will be using the Apple CarPlay with my iPhone. If I'm using google maps will it be displayed on the uconnect screen? I don't want to spend the extra $795 to get the Uconnect 4C NAV if my google maps will work. I'm ordering my truck right after new years. Thanks

Red

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you can use google maps in car play. Or the iPhone maps, or Waze app. No need for a unit with a navigation system anymore when you have a smart phone and can use much better apps.

OP
OP
Papa Red

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So it does show up on the uconnect screen. That's what I didn't know. Thanks

Red

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as your iPhone is post iOS 13 update, it’ll work. Pre iOS 13, Google Maps and I’m pretty sure Waze wasn’t car play compatible apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the phone map apps work great for navigation..... as long as you have cell phone data service. Not so great out in the “boonies” with no cell service.... been there done that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the phone map apps work great for navigation..... as long as you have cell phone data service. Not so great out in the “boonies” with no cell service.... been there done that.

True, that may be the only real notable setback but if you were spending a lot of time in patchy service areas, they do make cell signal boosters. Or if your fortunate enough to have built in WiFi in your vehicle, sometimes it’ll have service even when your phone by itself won’t.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may be a dumb question but I know nothing in regards to this system on a Ram truck. I'm looking to order the unconnect 4 with 8.4 display screen and will be using the Apple CarPlay with my iPhone. If I'm using google maps will it be displayed on the uconnect screen? I don't want to spend the extra $795 to get the Uconnect 4C NAV if my google maps will work. I'm ordering my truck right after new years. Thanks

Red

Yes, Google/Waze works with Apple Phone on Carplay. If U have an older phone, sometimes U have to play with settings to get to work. I had an I Phone 5S that I used, and I got it to work. If U have a newer phone at least IOS 11.xxxxx U be OK. Since I just upgraded to an IPhone 11, of course no issues. PPL R correct though, if U get in a sketchy cell area, may be an issue. The straight 4 Units do not have Nav/911/WI-FI/Guardian. Straight radio comes with Sirius and uses UConnect as an OP system, but not all the crazy updates PPL running the Whole UConnect deal with. U can run some of yer stuff thru phone, but the straight RA 4 is limited. At least this is how it is on MY 19. All above IMHO.............

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm not often in area's without service, but several times on road trips I have been without service so I too like having the trucks NAV. However, I like the trucks nav anyway, I haven't had bad experiences with it like seemingly most people on here. Also really like the instructions popping up in the screen between the gauges as reminders.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, Google/Waze works with Apple Phone on Carplay. If U have an older phone, sometimes U have to play with settings to get to work. I had an I Phone 5S that I used, and I got it to work. If U have a newer phone at least IOS 11.xxxxx U be OK. Since I just upgraded to an IPhone 11, of course no issues. PPL R correct though, if U get in a sketchy cell area, may be an issue. The straight 4 Units do not have Nav/911/WI-FI/Guardian. Straight radio comes with Sirius and uses UConnect as an OP system, but not all the crazy updates PPL running the Whole UConnect deal with. U can run some of yer stuff thru phone, but the straight RA 4 is limited. At least this is how it is on MY 19. All above IMHO.............

According to this....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...w-to-use-google-maps-on-apple-carplay.amphtml

... which, I have to apologize, I was under the impression it was iOS 13 but it’s actually after iOS 12 was when we could start having Google maps on CarPlay.

But what did you do to make your much older iPhone project google maps on the radio screen?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to manually turn on Siri, Locale, in both Settings and Apps, and Cellular devices, and run all off of Cell "minutes". Good thing I have unlimited. There was another thing had to manual turn on, and I do not remember what it was. But maybe the MY 19 system also upgrades and works betta, Heck, I not know. I only max travel 5 miles normally, except for trip to NC last year. And I had my I Phone 5 using google maps... U know, since Senility and Dementia setting in every day, I need to look at my ID card to remember name, ROFLMAO.

I just renewed my DL early (2 years) to get a REAL ID COMPLIANT DL (drivers license)... All good, I think.....

Looked at yer URL ref in post #9, I see wat they say, but my Google Maps worked with my I Phone 5S with had a locked IOS of 10.3. That being said, it just Is what It is.

OP
OP
Papa Red

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks all. I have an iPhone 8 plus with the 13.2.3 software version so I should be all set. I don't really want to spend the $795 for the 4C NAV if I don't need to. Maybe that will be a free upgrade in January when I order my truck. One can only hope. The Hemi was a free upgrade on my 2007 Ram so crazy stuff does happen. Thanks again.

Red

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For what’s it worth I’ve found that with CarPlay and Google Maps so long as I start the navigation while I’m service it seems to work when I lose it. I think Google buffers it quite a bit.