Uconnect 5.0 no volume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthews1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 tD
Hey guys... Have a 2014 2500 with what I'm assuming is the uconnect 5.0 system. Have rarely had any problems out of it other than maybe Bluetooth syncing at times. However the other day I pulled my camper home and parked it in the driveway with the power still hooked up. Next day had power but not enough to crank it over. Hooked my batter charger up to jump it over. After it was started drove fine, radio worked per usual. Parked it and decided to put the charger on and do a maintenance charge. After fully charged hooked battery up again and started like normal. Went down the road and realized the radio wasn't working. Display was on but no sound. No radio, no Bluetooth sound, when twisting volume knob it's not even showing that the supposed volume level... wouldn't even make the button sounds when touching the touch screen. Not sure if it was the jump, or the charge, that could have caused this. I know there are threads on this but can't really find anything that has worked. I've unplugged the battery again, pulled radio inline fuse, amp fuse... Even looked to see if there was an update available on the uconnect site. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a hard reset? Or am I SOL? If it comes down to a replacement of the head unit, what is a viable option? Do any integrate the vehicless options from the factory uconnect unit? Lights, locking options, hill assist ects?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys... Have a 2014 2500 with what I'm assuming is the uconnect 5.0 system. Have rarely had any problems out of it other than maybe Bluetooth syncing at times. However the other day I pulled my camper home and parked it in the driveway with the power still hooked up. Next day had power but not enough to crank it over. Hooked my batter charger up to jump it over. After it was started drove fine, radio worked per usual. Parked it and decided to put the charger on and do a maintenance charge. After fully charged hooked battery up again and started like normal. Went down the road and realized the radio wasn't working. Display was on but no sound. No radio, no Bluetooth sound, when twisting volume knob it's not even showing that the supposed volume level... wouldn't even make the button sounds when touching the touch screen. Not sure if it was the jump, or the charge, that could have caused this. I know there are threads on this but can't really find anything that has worked. I've unplugged the battery again, pulled radio inline fuse, amp fuse... Even looked to see if there was an update available on the uconnect site. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a hard reset? Or am I SOL? If it comes down to a replacement of the head unit, what is a viable option? Do any integrate the vehicless options from the factory uconnect unit? Lights, locking options, hill assist ects?
So first step is to wait. Sometimes when these radios loose power completely, they take several power cycles to reset completely and read the vehicle they are installed in.

OP
OP
M

Matthews1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 tD
Kinda wondered about that honestly... I know a time or two it took a few cycles to reset other issues with the truck in general. Hopefully that's it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Kinda wondered about that honestly... I know a time or two it took a few cycles to reset other issues with the truck in general. Hopefully that's it.
If after say, 48 hours and three driving cycles (without the battery or fuses being disconnected) it hasn't corrected check back in.

OP
OP
M

Matthews1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 tD
So first step is to wait. Sometimes when these radios loose power completely, they take several power cycles to reset completely and read the vehicle they are installed in.

If after say, 48 hours and three driving cycles (without the battery or fuses being disconnected) it hasn't corrected check back in.
Yeah so, It hasn't reset.... Been out of town working or would have posted sooner. Been using my work radio for music in the meantime. Leaving for vacation in a few weeks. Hoping I can get some insite. If it boils down to a new head it is what it is. Just want to make sure that will fix it for sure and it not be something else. Anyone ideas?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah so, It hasn't reset.... Been out of town working or would have posted sooner. Been using my work radio for music in the meantime. Leaving for vacation in a few weeks. Hoping I can get some insite. If it boils down to a new head it is what it is. Just want to make sure that will fix it for sure and it not be something else. Anyone ideas?
Ok, you haven't tried a donor radio yet from another ram right? Here are some options from cost low to high...If you know anyone with a 2013+ Ram, you can swap radios briefly to test. Conversely, you can pick up a used RA2 (5") or RA1 (base radio) from the junkyard and test or replace that way too. If you decide to upgrade, I'm a fan of the UAS or UAQ 8.4" upgrade in these trucks (piece the upgrade together yourself for huge cost savings).

Scrufy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Several times I went to AM, then back to SIRIOUS. Later went to dealer who got my model phone in the sys, all worked after that.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First, it would not be uConnect 5. That is '22 and later. On my 18 and 22 Ram's, I can hold down the volume and channel select knobs at the same time to do a soft reboot of the radio. Not sure if that's possible on a 14 but worth a shot. You have hold them down for a while, like 15-30 seconds.

OP
OP
M

Matthews1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 tD
If I find a factory ra2 head unit to swap and it doesn't work is there another component in the audio system that could be the culprit? Does anyone know if there are more components?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If I find a factory ra2 head unit to swap and it doesn't work is there another component in the audio system that could be the culprit? Does anyone know if there are more components?
To my knowledge, not in your trim level. A factory Alpine system has a separate amp but your base sound system does not.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As Sitkneelbend stated on the base radio system there is no external amplifier, it’s all contained within the OEM head unit. If your radio is still usable for ancillary functions like climate controls, heated or cooled seats, lighting options, keyless entry functions, etc and you have no sound coming from ANY speaker it’s most likely the preamp assembly or final output transistor inside the radio. These things can be repaired but you’d have to have some experience and or knowledge of what to do. It’s possible to remove the radio and send it out for repair although I have no idea how much that would cost. Any chance you have an electronics savvy friend? The parts are fairly inexpensive but the ability to diagnose and repair is the expensive part. Personally I like Sitkneelbends recommendation to upgrade to a UAS or UAQ radio from 2018 or later to take advantage of android auto or CarPlay. It may be the cheaper option in the long run. You asked if there is availability of alternative head unit that handles the factory functions of the OEM radio. Yes there are ways to keep factory functionality with aftermarket units. Several manufacturers make electronic devices that allow factory functionality. iDatalink Maestro is a unit that allows many aftermarket radios to operate like the factory units. Keep in mind that a good aftermarket radio plus steering wheel controls, maestro unit, T-harness, wiring, setup and install time can be much more than a replacement radio.

OP
OP
M

Matthews1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 tD
Ok, so again if I were to just replace the head unit is there any viable option for uconnect? The only steering wheel function I have is voice recognition and voice call... Which I gather many options are available.with aftermarket units... But I also have several push button menus on the factory unit like hill assist, power motor options, trailer brake settings ect. that come in handy. Any reasonable aftermarket options or am I looking to just bite the bullet and say goodbye to them for good unless I find a factory unit.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, so again if I were to just replace the head unit is there any viable option for uconnect? The only steering wheel function I have is voice recognition and voice call... Which I gather many options are available.with aftermarket units... But I also have several push button menus on the factory unit like hill assist, power motor options, trailer brake settings ect. that come in handy. Any reasonable aftermarket options or am I looking to just bite the bullet and say goodbye to them for good unless I find a factory unit.
Those options become available on aftermarket radios with the correct interface modules. If you use a site like Crutchfield and enter your vehicle information, it will let you know the adapters needed to retain factory options/menus.