uConnect 5 to uConnect 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skootter2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I purchased a RAM 1500 Tradesman with standard cab and short box. The radio is uConnect 5" with SirusXM. Is there a direct swap for a 8.4" radio? I do not need Navigation. I have key start, crank windows, manual climate and manual locks. I just need the bigger screen for the backup camera. The current bezel appears to be large enough as all radio controls are within that area and an integrated part of the radio. My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

GA_Boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just purchased a 2021 Tradesman crew cab 4x4 and it has the touch screen 5" Sirius XM radio.

I have power windows, back up camera, standard AC/Heat control.

I DID order the OEM remote start kit for it as it was less than $300 and I did miss that feature on my old truck.

I am trying to figure how to upgrade my radio to the bigger 8.4" and what all I need to do it with.

b8ascrub

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I just purchased a 2021 Tradesman crew cab 4x4 and it has the touch screen 5" Sirius XM radio.

I have power windows, back up camera, standard AC/Heat control.

I DID order the OEM remote start kit for it as it was less than $300 and I did miss that feature on my old truck.

I am trying to figure how to upgrade my radio to the bigger 8.4" and what all I need to do it with.
I just did the upgrade from 5.0 to 8.4 screen and used this thread for all info and parts to get. It was pretty easy to do, the hardest part is finding a good quality used radio. You can order a new one from MOPAR but I got one for less than half the price used on the forum here.

OP
OP
S

skootter2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2019 RAM Classic, Standard Cab, Shortbox that had a VP2 radio with Bluetooth, backup camera in radio and SiriusXM. I replaced it with a 2014 VP4 radio with Navigation and SiriusXM. Everything works except:
1) No volume control
2) Nag about my cellular not working, see dealer.

I am only looking to address the volume control issue. Even the original bezel is acceptable if I do not have to replace it. I am getting conflicting information about the solution. one source says that a VP4 radio will not work in my truck and I need the full kit (RAQ) $2600

Another source says if i buy the bezel with volume control is all I'll need. Neither source is confident enough to offer refund if it doesn't function correctly.

Anyone have actual real world experience with this combination of truck and radio. I know here most posters refer to the radios as RA2 or RA4 but mine have VP2 and VP4 on the labels.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skootter2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If anyone is interested, my uConnect 5 to uConnect 8.4 process in a 2019 Classic.

I removed the VP2/RA2 radio, and replaced with a 2014 VP4/RA4 plug for plug.

1) Radio installed easily with minor issues.
2) I do get the 911 nag about every 2 or 3 starts only lasts a couple seconds, I won't bother fixing it.
2) I had no volume control, so I purchased the steering wheel volume controls (ebay $$129)
3) I used the original radio bezel, looks OK and I retained all original climate controls

As the radio was given to me the total cost was $129. If you have a Classic, I doubt the looks with the original bezel will bother you and you will save $$$

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
At least one company makes a 8.4" bezel with a volume knob & you need a small harness to go with it

Another option is the steering wheel with the control buttons

Last edited: