Uconnect 8.4/Radio issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tonybrown32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new radio came from Ram with the new update already installed it was 18:43:01 I think you have a RA3 8.4 radio that's why your update is different on the numbers or your truck has no bumper sensor,s on it

No... the update numbers were accurate on the screens displayed during the updates... there were differences in the pop up screens that were shown, compared to the instructions provided.. for example, the final screen pop up said something to the effect of "your update is completed, you may remove your USB drive" but the instructions said the pop up would ask "do you want to update from version XXXX to XXXXX". It did eventually ask me if I wanted to install the update again.. but just presented in a different way than the instructions..

Like I said, it was easy enough to figure out following the on screen messaging, but just didn't follow the installation guide screen shots exactly.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well their are two updates 18:43:01 also 18:45:01 My friend has the same truck year and even color but he has a RA3 radio and his update was 18:45:01 so what your saying is not accurate on that. My truck came with NAV built in radio which is a RA4 radio and I got the 18:43:01 update from the dealer who installed it I did not download it to install it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tonybrown32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well their are two updates 18:43:01 also 18:45:01 My friend has the same truck year and even color but he has a RA3 radio and his update was 18:45:01 so what your saying is not accurate on that. My truck came with NAV built in radio which is a RA$ radio and I got the 18:43:01 update from the dealer who installed it I did not download it to install it.

What I am saying is entirely accurate. My 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn came with radio version 16.51.19. I upgraded to 18.45.01 via USB after the OTA update failed. A few screens I got when updating didn't match the screenshots in the TSB update instructions. That's all I'm sayin'.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well hope it all works I was reading the update is really for the Nav system something changed on NOV 5 2019.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay folks here is correct scoop on any dealer replacing the UConnect unit in any FCA vehicle. The unit must be programmed before going to the the dealer and into a vehicle, the programming is unique to the last 8 digits in the vehicle's VIN number. One cannot expect a used UConnect from seemingly an identical vehicle in a salvage yard to work properly in another vehicle because it won't.

Ramcharger84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So.. I had a notification popup last night that I had an update available for my 2017 RAM Uconnect 8.4 right as I was turning off my vehicle... I powered the truck off, and then re-started it... and had a popup that said "update failed - see dealer", but when I cleared that message, the previous "update available" message was still there, so I chose "update now" and waited with the car in ACC mode for like 15 min, but nothing happened...

Anyway.. wen't about my business, came home, turned off the truck, and the Uconnect screen/radio stayed powered on for like 60 sec, even after opening the door and leaving the vehicle... so that was odd..

I followed the instructions I found to re-boot the Uconnect system, and that solved the problem with Unconnect staying on after the door opens... but now I have the opposite problem..

When I park and turn the vehicle off, the Uconnect/radio immediately powers off, even before I open my door. It's supposed to stay on in delayed accessory mode until I open the door.

I didn't get the update, so I was planning on downloading and installing it manually once I find a big enough USB drive that's over 4gb as stated in the instructions online... I have a 16gb USB drive but it was corrupted, and don't want to chance it..

Thoughts on doing the update manually? It is available for download, and the instructions are pretty clear...

I got the update (successfully) a few weeks ago and am having the same radio issues. Uconnect won't get back to me about it. I guess I'm stuck with this. If you get a fix, let me know.