Uconnect 8.4 Screen delaminating 2018 Ram 1500 Limited 63K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timothyraso

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
My Uconnect 8.4 screen is becoming to delaminated on my 2018 ram 1500 limited, the system is beginning to fail i.e. random calling, GPS issues and possible other integrated safety features. The problem has been reported however it is not covered. there are numerous posts and complaints regarding similar occurrences and it has not been issued as a recall. this shouldn't happen on new vehicle.

Has anyone had luck getting this replaced? Has their been a safety recall?

Attachments

• delaminating screen2.jpg
    delaminating screen2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 15

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can contact @RamCares or Uconnect directly and they may be able to help. The first step is to have the dealership diagnose the problem and quote the repair (assuming the dealer says its not covered).

Many of us were out of warranty in years but not miles. So if you have less than 36,000 miles you may be in luck. It never hurts to ask. Dealership will probably quote right around $1, 200 to replace the radio BTW.

I just saw in another thread that infotainment offers a repair service. Here is a link to the site. I'd suggest calling them if the options above don't pan out.

Last edited:

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fact that this is happening to, what seems like a large number, of 2018 Rams is crazy. It's one thing to have an issue with a large number of vehicles. It's another for them to ignore it since its out of warranty. This has to be either a design or manufacturing default for this many to be having the same failure, and seemingly a lot starting recently.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told by @RamCares that there was a STAR case released in May 2021 in regard to Bubbles or Delamination On The Radio Display. So they certainly know about it and are obviously trying to avoid a recall.

RL508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am having the same issues with my 2018 Ram 1500. delaminating screen and ghost touching. I brought it to my local dealer yesterday. They told me I need a new radio. It has been ordered and is covered by warranty. The truck just went over 30k miles. The service manager told me that it Is practically every model with the 8.4 uconnect. I’m just glad im covered by warranty.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reminder. I have been looking for a Kenwood to replace my 8.4 ever since it began delaminating, and I found one today. Just wish the price was $150 lower like it was before the chip shortage.

I was not going to put up with the BS of having the dealer replace it with the same thing. Sure, they may have fixed the delam problem, but UConnect can still force crappy downloads on us like they have in the past. Plus, this Kenwood has 4 camera inputs, more memory for favorites and stations, and plays movies with the DVD player.

LTC_GBH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Greetings everyone! This is my second RAM truck (first was a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi) and I absolutely love my truck BUT I'm having huge problems with my UConnect system. My truck only has 49,107 miles on it. The dealership in Lenoir City, TN and Knoxville, TN have both worked on my truck. I always pointed out the bubble forming on my screen but they would never replace it because it was still working (it was under full warranty). Now my 3 year warranty has expired and the UConnect has gone crazy. It constantly changes channels, switches to heat and a/c and changes the temperature and many other crazy things. It even turns on the heated seats and steering wheel. I try to keep it on radio so it doesn't mess with the climate or other settings but sometimes it just plain goes wild. I cannot listen to any station on the radio without it constantly channel surfing. The dealership in Lenoir City now states that I need to replace the UConnect center for $1600. I cannot afford that. I have since moved to Oro Valley, Arizona and I made the entire drive without music. So here I am with a great truck that doesn't have an operational UConnect. I can't listen to the radio nor adjust the temperature in the cab. I saw in the forum that some people get dealerships to replace the UConnect for free or at a reduced price.

SwitcherLP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings everyone! This is my second RAM truck (first was a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi) and I absolutely love my truck BUT I'm having huge problems with my UConnect system. My truck only has 49,107 miles on it. The dealership in Lenoir City, TN and Knoxville, TN have both worked on my truck. I always pointed out the bubble forming on my screen but they would never replace it because it was still working (it was under full warranty). Now my 3 year warranty has expired and the UConnect has gone crazy. It constantly changes channels, switches to heat and a/c and changes the temperature and many other crazy things. It even turns on the heated seats and steering wheel. I try to keep it on radio so it doesn't mess with the climate or other settings but sometimes it just plain goes wild. I cannot listen to any station on the radio without it constantly channel surfing. The dealership in Lenoir City now states that I need to replace the UConnect center for $1600. I cannot afford that. I have since moved to Oro Valley, Arizona and I made the entire drive without music. So here I am with a great truck that doesn't have an operational UConnect. I can't listen to the radio nor adjust the temperature in the cab. I saw in the forum that some people get dealerships to replace the UConnect for free or at a reduced price.
This issue is actually pretty easily addressed, it happened to my Charger, many of the vehicles with the 8.4" screen are suffering this. You just remove it from the dash, remove the metal outer trim piece, and then flip the screen over. The purpose is to clean the adhesive goo from the head unit and the back of the screen, and as much as you can get off the frame as possible. Once you do this, you can either just put a thin layer of double sided adhesive around the frame, or apply a full layer of double sided adhesive across the whole screen. I fixed mine with just a thin layer around the frame 2 months ago. Working fine so far.

dodge6th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Uconnect 8.4 screen is becoming to delaminated on my 2018 ram 1500 limited, the system is beginning to fail i.e. random calling, GPS issues and possible other integrated safety features. The problem has been reported however it is not covered. there are numerous posts and complaints regarding similar occurrences and it has not been issued as a recall. this shouldn't happen on new vehicle.

Has anyone had luck getting this replaced? Has their been a safety recall?
Also affects the heat and ac. Got chili and turned on heat and it went crazy.

dodge6th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is not the only year of this issue. I had a 2009 Ram 1500 and it did the same thing. Dodge would not help then either.

dodge6th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It controls your ac and heat . Mine went crazy when I switched from ac to heat so if you live where it gets really cold get it fix asap...! You will freeze your butt off waiting for the heat to figure out what it wants to do..

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has been a problem in every model pretty much since the middle of the last decade for CJDR. My 2018 Charger RT had this issue (thankfully was still under warranty) and the new to me 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie I just bought is starting to do this already. What’s worse is the infotainment screen isn’t covered by my extended warranty... I’m pretty pissed off. THIS is why I went with Toyota (Lexus) after I sold my last Charger and Grand Cherokee. This level of quality issues and the fact that they (FCA) don't care about them. I’ve had Lexus replace misc components for free on my 2010 Lexus GX460 with over 150k miles the past two years. Think about that for a moment, you read that right a 2010 year model with 150k+. We needed a heavy duty truck so that’s why I bought a RAM 2500 (screw Ford and GM) otherwise I would of bought a Toyota if they built a 3/4 ton truck.

It is very irritating that FCA doesn’t care enough to go with a different screen vendor. I’ve never seen ANY other mfg have this problem.