Uconnect 8.4 w/NAV to Uconnect 8.4 UAQ w/NAV - CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkell777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I purchased a Uconnect 8.4 UAQ w/NAV radio off of eBay out of a wrecked vehicle to swap for my stock Uconnect 8.4 w/NAV in my 2015 Ram. I needed to replace my radio anyway since I was having issues with my navigation, my clock would be out of time, and some reason my media hub wouldn't work at all with the stock radio so I wasn't able to update. I figured since I had to upgrade anyhow, I wanted a newer radio w/car play, and I figured it could be done. I wish I didn't go cheap on the radio and/or did a whole lot more research before attempting this project as I am still without the features I was wanting. I hope this thread helps someone learn from the mistakes I learned the hard way, and I hope that someone has some ideas for me to get this working finally.

So here's what I did...

I purchased my radio w/warranty off of eBay thinking that it would be a direct fit. All connections were the same so theoretically, it should plug and play. I also had a n Anti-Theft Code provided. When I received the radio I noticed my first problem was the two housings on the radios were different side by side. Irritating, but I figured I would easily modify and be able to make it work.

Old unit has bracket for mounting.

tempImagemlCPPA.png

New unit has molded cast for mounting I had to grind off the housing.
tempImage7hrCyw.png

I ground of the fixed mounting spots from the new unit and used the brackets from the old unit to mount onto the new unit for mounting.

I then took the new unit in my truck to install. Everything connected and worked until the install of the bezel. I was in a hurry and (being the moron I am) it wasn't lining up properly, so I decided to give a bit of a shove, which shattered the screen. Back to laying the unit on the table to inspect and order a screen, I happened to noticed that the screen (that I mistaken to be a screen protector) was delaminating. Moral of the story... inspect these not cheap items very good before grinding on them and voiding the warranty!

I finally received my brand new screen for my new unit in the mail so I started to dismantle the radio. Once I could see inside and inspect I noticed (ON MY NEW RADIO MOTHERBOARD) a wire that wasn't connected to anything and the plug it was ripped away from. Back to the computer, I ordered two different brand new mother boards for the radio.

IMG_CD8B04D87BE4-1.jpeg
IMG_1714.PNG

After all this headache, I received my circuit boards to install. I installed my circuit boards and screen with ease now, back to installing in the vehicle.

I was loads more careful when installing the unit again in my truck and was very gentle with the bezel as well. Everything went together seamlessly. Everything worked! EXCEPT... I have to update my radio to the newest software to get my car play working. My media hub does not read with my new radio either. It doesn't read any device and won't even charge my phone (even with an apple charger). There is power to it of some kind as the lights around the usb glows. Doing more research, I discovered when doing this swap that I have to swap the old media hub as well for the 2018 oblong shaped one with 2 USB ports, and that I have to also grab the wiring harness conversion kit for that to make it work. They say everything will work great except for some reason the lights on it don't (which is not a big deal to me. So, I ordered the new media hub in the center console, and the wiring harness conversion, and hooked it up as soon as I received them. I am at the same point I have been at. It will not acknowledge any device that I plug into it. I have checked breakers and all. I have no idea what else to do. Does anyone have any tips that I can try? Because I am completely lost. Radio works, NAV (finally) works, Clock works, but no car play, and I cannot update my radio to the newest software with a USB thumb drive through the media hub. Any Ideas?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I purchased a Uconnect 8.4 UAQ w/NAV radio off of eBay out of a wrecked vehicle to swap for my stock Uconnect 8.4 w/NAV in my 2015 Ram. I needed to replace my radio anyway since I was having issues with my navigation, my clock would be out of time, and some reason my media hub wouldn't work at all with the stock radio so I wasn't able to update. I figured since I had to upgrade anyhow, I wanted a newer radio w/car play, and I figured it could be done. I wish I didn't go cheap on the radio and/or did a whole lot more research before attempting this project as I am still without the features I was wanting. I hope this thread helps someone learn from the mistakes I learned the hard way, and I hope that someone has some ideas for me to get this working finally.

So here's what I did...

I purchased my radio w/warranty off of eBay thinking that it would be a direct fit. All connections were the same so theoretically, it should plug and play. I also had a n Anti-Theft Code provided. When I received the radio I noticed my first problem was the two housings on the radios were different side by side. Irritating, but I figured I would easily modify and be able to make it work.

View attachment 493631

View attachment 493630

I ground of the fixed mounting spots from the new unit and used the brackets from the old unit to mount onto the new unit for mounting.

I then took the new unit in my truck to install. Everything connected and worked until the install of the bezel. I was in a hurry and (being the moron I am) it wasn't lining up properly, so I decided to give a bit of a shove, which shattered the screen. Back to laying the unit on the table to inspect and order a screen, I happened to noticed that the screen (that I mistaken to be a screen protector) was delaminating. Moral of the story... inspect these not cheap items very good before grinding on them and voiding the warranty!

I finally received my brand new screen for my new unit in the mail so I started to dismantle the radio. Once I could see inside and inspect I noticed (ON MY NEW RADIO MOTHERBOARD) a wire that wasn't connected to anything and the plug it was ripped away from. Back to the computer, I ordered two different brand new mother boards for the radio.

View attachment 493632
View attachment 493633

After all this headache, I received my circuit boards to install. I installed my circuit boards and screen with ease now, back to installing in the vehicle.

I was loads more careful when installing the unit again in my truck and was very gentle with the bezel as well. Everything went together seamlessly. Everything worked! EXCEPT... I have to update my radio to the newest software to get my car play working. My media hub does not read with my new radio either. It doesn't read any device and won't even charge my phone (even with an apple charger). There is power to it of some kind as the lights around the usb glows. Doing more research, I discovered when doing this swap that I have to swap the old media hub as well for the 2018 oblong shaped one with 2 USB ports, and that I have to also grab the wiring harness conversion kit for that to make it work. They say everything will work great except for some reason the lights on it don't (which is not a big deal to me. So, I ordered the new media hub in the center console, and the wiring harness conversion, and hooked it up as soon as I received them. I am at the same point I have been at. It will not acknowledge any device that I plug into it. I have checked breakers and all. I have no idea what else to do. Does anyone have any tips that I can try? Because I am completely lost. Radio works, NAV (finally) works, Clock works, but no car play, and I cannot update my radio to the newest software with a USB thumb drive through the media hub. Any Ideas?

My guess is since it wasn't a Ram radio it doesn't have the Ram USB hub drivers. Flashing the right Ram firmware to it might correct this and you can try bypassing the USB hub to update the radio using this adapter plugged directly into the radio...

USB Host Cable Mini B Male to USB A Female OTG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JK1OFOM/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_2ER36ZW4M1C5FABCJTW6

Conversely, you could try the USB hub that works in the source vehicle you got the radio from.

Last edited:

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500

So here's what I did...

View attachment 493631

View attachment 493630

View attachment 493632
View attachment 493633

Is your last pic the actual part number of the radio you purchased? If so, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's a 2017 MY radio, it doesn't support carplay. That started in 2018, part number needs to begin with 683xxxxx.

More info in this thread

swoyekr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a Harman unit, they don't have car play. You need a 2018+ Pioneer.

OP
OP
J

jkell777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just a thought, I have a friend that is head of mechanics for one of the Chrysler/Ram Dealerships and when I spoke with him I was sure to ask if this radio even had car play like claimed. After he looked it up he said yes, and he was even able to tell me what vehicle it came out of. So (even if I update this radio) this unit does not in no way have car play then?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just a thought, I have a friend that is head of mechanics for one of the Chrysler/Ram Dealerships and when I spoke with him I was sure to ask if this radio even had car play like claimed. After he looked it up he said yes, and he was even able to tell me what vehicle it came out of. So (even if I update this radio) this unit does not in no way have car play then?
If I'm not mistaken, some 2017s had Carplay, just not the RAMs. The insides look like a newer one too. Also, the broken/missing connector on the board may be inconsequential. Flip over the board and see what color the FAKRA connector is just on the other side of the missing connector. I intentionally disconnected one of those to stop OTA updates.

Last edited:

Axefall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You also need to swap the usb hub to the one that supports CarPlay if that’s indeed a CarPlay radio.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The manufacturer date was 2017 it s a 2017 charger challanger 300 radio.a couple things where did you get the motherboard from most I have seen on ebay are rest of world ones.the wire that was broke goes to the air card.the radio will work without it just find you just won't have uconnect wifi which has gone away anyway from what I hear.but a guy sells the card with harness that was broke for 40.00 on ebay.its the board on the side of the radio.also you can buy a ram mount on there also for 50.00.about the carplay issue will the hub not read a USB stick either?

OP
OP
J

jkell777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So finally! I finally got car play to work and media hub is working (although not sure what I did tbh). I also bought the Magic Brand Magic Box so my car play is also wireless! So im super stoked! But, I tried connecting my thumb drive with the connect update and its saying that it won't read it. Do I need a certain thumb drive?

tempImage7TcuAt.png

OP
OP
J

jkell777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The manufacturer date was 2017 it s a 2017 charger challanger 300 radio.a couple things where did you get the motherboard from most I have seen on ebay are rest of world ones.the wire that was broke goes to the air card.the radio will work without it just find you just won't have uconnect wifi which has gone away anyway from what I hear.but a guy sells the card with harness that was broke for 40.00 on ebay.its the board on the side of the radio.also you can buy a ram mount on there also for 50.00.about the carplay issue will the hub not read a USB stick either?
I believe I got the motherboards off of eBay. They were both brand new and exactly the same. I got CarPlay now but its saying that it can't read the data from my thumb drive which has the uconnect update on it that my Chrysler head of mechanics friend put the update on after I supplied him the thumb drive. I'm not sure why it won't read it. Maybe I need a different thumb drive?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So finally! I finally got car play to work and media hub is working (although not sure what I did tbh). I also bought the Magic Brand Magic Box so my car play is also wireless! So im super stoked! But, I tried connecting my thumb drive with the connect update and its saying that it won't read it. Do I need a certain thumb drive?

View attachment 493698
Personally, I wouldn't try to flash it if everything is working to your liking.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with setkneelbend if everything is working let it be.curious what your current application is.since you replaced the motherboard it is probably different than what you had .if you wouldn't mind pm me the ebay sellers name.i have all the parts for another unit I am just missing the motherboard.

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem with my old RA4, it will music from the USB, I bought the Uconnect MAP update but when it is inserted it say it can read the drive. So I called HERE tchsupport and they said it was the radio so I just quit trying.

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone here have a extra hub power adapter and/or hub they want to sell?

Cool_Hand_Luke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congratulations on getting CarPlay on your RAM. I'm in the same predicament. I have 2013 RAM 1500 and just installed radio VP4R off of 2018 RAM. The round sticker on the radio says it got 18.13 Firmware. There is a way to find out the latest version via dealer mode but i don't know how to access that. After rebooting I noticed that i had no navigation. it would be stuck somewhere else. SXM would work and RED/BLUE temp buttons would not work 100%, so I'm hoping to do firmware update and see if it fixes the issue. I'm also worried about bricking the radio as some have mentioned but if done right i should be successful. SO can someone direct me to the steps? I believe i need to do 2 step process. Also, What is the latest Uconnect firmware that i cam update this radio with? PART# 68331632AF
Thanks!