Uconnect in my 17 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got an email from Uconnect which says:

“The capacity and coverage of the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is expected to change between now and the time that the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is fully decommissioned. Once decommissioned, the features of the Uconnect Access Advantage Package will no longer operate in your vehicle, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.’

Whats the best solution to replace the system and not lose any capabilities?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You'll have to buy one of these. They sent out an email on these last year I think?
I don't use it so no big deal to me.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I wondered about this, but do not have a subscription, and understand that all the cell companies are dumping their 3G stuff. Parts and equipment availability (the lack thereof) is forcing the change, much the way 1X, etc have been dropped.

Is UConnect charging extra for the adapter, or including it at no extra (apparent) charge if one has a subscription? As I do not have a subscription to UConnect, it is just an issue and not a problem for me, but for those who subscribe, that may be a problem.

Do the 2021 and newer Rams come equipped with a system that includes 4G? If so, is it still through Sprint/T-Mobile, or is Stellantis going to change that, too.

My preference would be a system that can receive OTA updates via one's phone (i.e., Bluetooth and/or wi-fi connection) and just leave Sprint out of the mix altogether.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was under the impression that the 911 function button on the mirror did not require a subscription. Yes? No?

i don’t use WiFi or other Uconnetc services, so as long as radio, control screens, and Nav work I’m good. But keeping the 911 button active would be nice…but not $10/mo nice.

best,
DG

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I subscribe to UConnect, and my adapter (free) is due to be delivered tomorrow. Monthly fee even went down. Win win, IMO.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stays in the port. Got mine yesterday. Don't notice any difference, I guess that's the idea. It's functioning as intended, per the LEDs on the unit. So yes, when you need a code reader, you'll have to unplug it.

Dr B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got mine too. New to RAM products. Where is the location of the OBDII port on 2016 1500?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the added OTA BS and Sprint BS< T-Mobile, all dat stuff makes this BOIRD happy that all I got is a Plain Jane Uconnect 4 Radio in MY 19 Bighorn,. No OTA, or ne of that stuff. U want an update, the only option is Dealer. As long as all stuff works, BOIRD not concerned. All IMHO.....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't use any of the FEE based part of Uconnect
The Sierra Air Card has never been used on my vehicles

I make my calls using my phone & the Rams Bluetooth
It is all that i need
I don't do texting so that solves that too

Howdy JimmyO, i see you live in El Cajon also
There are 2 Orange Rams in town, one i used to own, the other one is my current Ram, i'm the guy with a long beard & longer hair

q7wCVK.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just got mine too. New to RAM products. Where is the location of the OBDII port on 2016 1500?

They are all in the same place, under the drivers side dash. Near the hood release.

OP
OP
JimmyO

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't use any of the FEE based part of Uconnect
The Sierra Air Card has never been used on my vehicles

I make my calls using my phone & the Rams Bluetooth
It is all that i need
I don't do texting so that solves that too

Howdy JimmyO, i see you live in El Cajon also
There are 2 Orange Rams in town, one i used to own, the other one is my current Ram, i'm the guy with a long beard & longer hair

View attachment 471433
Hi there!

Need to update my profile… I moved out of El Cajon in September 2021… now live in Orange Park Florida.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That is quite a change, moving from the once in a great while earthquake
to the land of hurricanes & a lot of Blue Hairs

At least the law makers back there are friendlier to the wallet

Comer17BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve had the 4G adapter for over 6 mos, and am ready to yank it out of my truck! Operation is sporadic at best (already have issued one trouble ticket due to no connectivity). Today, found my truck battery dead because the dongle didn’t go into sleep mode (another trpuble ticket). If Uconnect is going to rely on the 4G adapter to keep remote services going, then good luck to all that decides to keep it.
Plus, since the 4G adapter is in no way connected to the communication side of the 8.4 system (no handshake), how are they going to use the dongle to receive remote commands? It needs a signal to wake from sleep mode, but is offline from network while in sleep mode, so how’s it gonna get the signal to wake up? And unless they somehow link the 8.4 to the dongle IP address (I haven’t found that yet, how they going to establish the handshake? Or are they going to make you perform a system upgrade at a $$$ cost?
Sorry for the long post, just really getting frustrated with Uconnect!!

CWP21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are in the same boat with out 2017 Dodge Ram, For over 2 months now this adapter has not been working and after about 10 calls to uconnect, trouble ticket after trouble ticket we are being told that the uconnect features on the app will no longer be working. The texts/calls, etc no longer work either. When we stated we no longer the service then, since nothing is working, we are being told we will have to pay for the adapter! (8 months ago we were sold the adapter which would be free with a two year subscription), how they can charge for something that doesn't work is beyond me. Anyone else having the same issue?