Uconnect install question (harness)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deewhy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question about my 2016 Express and upgrading the uconnect to the 8.4 model. Currently I have the 5” screen radio, but recently found and purchased a new single zone digital climate control bezel with a VP4 radio and am ready to install.

My question is about the wiring harness. Most videos and write-ups explain when doing the upgrade, you’d be going from a tradesman 4-5 speed fan to a 7 speed. Hence why you buy the harness and the new climate control module for it.

But with my current setup, I already have a 7 speed fan. So do I still need the new wiring harness and climate control module by the passenger door? Or will everything just plug and play the way it is?

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

deewhy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Asked and answered in this post . https://www.ramforum.com/threads/vp4-radio-swap.197846/post-2771275 Ironically, this post is in the first "similar threads" hit in the new thread you started. Scroll to the bottom of your thread to see "similar threads".
Am I going to need anything else to make this work…I don’t have an alpha OBD2 for truck setting tweaks. I know I’ll need to contact Sirius XM to transfer my subscription over…maybe the radio needs an update?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Am I going to need anything else to make this work…I don’t have an alpha OBD2 for truck setting tweaks. I know I’ll need to contact Sirius XM to transfer my subscription over…maybe the radio needs an update?
@Mpgrimm2 can make you the harness you will need and let you know what parts you mY still need based on your truck and the parts you already have.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes. At a minimum you will need the 8.4 conversion harness and HVAC module... Whether you need anything else depends on your exact truck setup/features & the actual year & PN radio you're using.

Send me a message if you'd like to get additional details for purchasing a harness set, etc and I'll be glad to get to squared away.