Uconnect Radio Sporadic Operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NolaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2011 with Uconnect touchscreen radio. Here’s the order of events:
1) radio turned on but never had any sound
2) I realized if I let the radio power up with the battery then turn it on, it would work fine.
3) radio would get a white screen and sometimes restart while driving. Sometimes it would just not work at all.
4) radio would show white screen, but would not ever work
5) radio completely unresponsive. Found out that disc player motion works only if truck is completely powered down (battery and engine off)

I’ve changed the fuse and also disconnected negative terminal for 5 mins to restart radio around events 4 & 5. Also, I’ve pulled the radio out and checked the wiring in the back to find nothing wrong.

Any ideas on what else I can do? Replacement prices are really steep and I don’t even think the radio itself is the issue when I discovered the disc player motion was still operating when the truck was completely powered down.

Attachments

• A6DE2786-B125-4E4B-9736-EF4CE04B3DBA.jpeg
    A6DE2786-B125-4E4B-9736-EF4CE04B3DBA.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 9

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's most likely the Hard Drive that is failing. What 3 letter Code is on the bottom right of the radio?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
NolaRam
i'm trying to get some history

did that radio ever work as designed in your Ram ?

Did that radio come with your Ram ?

Have you owned the Ram since new ?

The reasons for the questions are that:
2009 & newer Ram uses a High Speed Can Bus
Chrysler made several MYGIG radios with the same 3 letters
They made RBZ radios in both High & Low speed
( all 2009 -2012 Rams & 2 Jeep models used the High Speed Can Bus, all of the rest of the Chrysler radios were Low Speed in those years )
Low speed Can Bus radios will not work correctly, if at all in Rams during those years.

I attempted to find a Do It Yourself Trouble Shooting Guide for Chrysler's 430 radios, it is a picture guide, not a video.
I almost understood what the author was saying & i have troubles using a light switch.

this might possibly give you some answers

under system failure options

Last edited:

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would replace it with an aftermarket radio, and gain Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The RBZ can be replaced with an aftermarket radio(with an iDatalink Maestro) and the Factory Bluetooth Handsfree will keep working.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
its best if you can retain the steering wheel controls
some adaptors allow you to do that