Uconnect radio updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicatine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have purchased a 8.4 Uconnect radio for my 2017 ram 1500 slt which came with the smaller screen 5” Uconnect and now I’ve just installed the 8.4 upgrade and my question is how do I do an update to my 8.4 radio ? I’ve gone to the Uconnect site and punched in the vin# and it says no updates required , I’m thinking it’s for the 5” Uconnect I had , now would I have to take it to the dealer and have them update it for me ? Is there any other way to do it on my own with no cost ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure from your post, did you use the donor VIN or your VIN? You need donor VIN to get updates

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have purchased a 8.4 Uconnect radio for my 2017 ram 1500 slt which came with the smaller screen 5” Uconnect and now I’ve just installed the 8.4 upgrade and my question is how do I do an update to my 8.4 radio ? I’ve gone to the Uconnect site and punched in the vin# and it says no updates required , I’m thinking it’s for the 5” Uconnect I had , now would I have to take it to the dealer and have them update it for me ? Is there any other way to do it on my own with no cost ?

You can use the vin# of the truck it came out of if you have it. If you don't have it you can go on ebay and go to the 2017 Ram trucks for sale with the same radio and use that vin# to go to the Uconnect site to download it to a USB for free. Make sure you know what radio you have. The RA3 is not factory Nav but the Nav can be enabled and the RA4 is Nav from the factory so some people can get confused if they have an RA3 that's had the Nav activated. if it's an RA3 it will Not have HD radio. If it's an RA4 radio it will have AM/FM HD radio. There is also a thread on the forum posted by @Mpgrimm2 that has links to previous firmware versions that you can download. I can't post links for whatever reason but it's called
(Info- 2013-2018 8.4A/AN FW notes) hopefully someone who can will post a link to the thread. I reccomend you read it. The latest Firmware for all the RA3/RA4 US radios is 18.45.01. This is the update that corrects the GPS issues after the satellite upgrade in November of 2019. You may need to update it in steps depending on what firmware version you are currently running. Some firmware versions won't update directly the 18.45.01. All the firmware updates are year and model specific until the latest 18.45.01 version which is compatible for all years. In other words if you have a 17 RA4 VP4 NA radio you will want to update with specific Firmware for that year and model number until you get to the 18.45.01. If your radio is currently running 17.xx.x Firmware you should be able to update directly to the 18.45.01. Remember this is for VP3 NA/VP4 NA (North America) radios only. If the part# on the label on the back of your ends with a CA (Canada) or MX Mexico they will need different firmware.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
From PMs....
Is it a 13-17 Ra3/Ra4 or 2018 UAS/UAQ radio with AndroidAuto & CarPlay?

13-17 RAx had PN sticker on the back with 68224525Ax or similar and you can go into dealer mode >> radio information
(Temp up + Temp Down + front defrost for 6-10secs). To get PN and SW version.

18 radios have PN sticker on side with 6833xxxxAx... only way to verify PN is the sticker, but dealer mode can be used to id the application version for an update)

Okay so I got ...
68224537AE

That's a 2014 Canadian Ra4 VP4-CA radio
I don't really keep up with the non-usa radios but... You're in luck this time @skuppy069 had that ... See here...
https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1125843.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should have asked him what he had before I explained it all! I figured since he didn't say that he might not know. People keep putting in these Canadian radios and a lot of times they don't realize it until it's time to update or they have other issues. If you want to put in a CA radio to save some money that's fine but be prepared to deal with it being harder to find firmware updates.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nicatine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks guys I’ll be sure to try this out

OP