UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crap! sounds like you need three hands to get into the menu.
I think I'm still running the older version. I'll check tonight when I get home.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Crap! sounds like you need three hands to get into the menu.
I think I'm still running the older version. I'll check tonight when I get home.

Thank you.

I've already called UConnect support and voiced my, ahem, displeasure.

audiomikej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OK, here's what I've found out. To see the software version you need to enter the dealer service menu.

To enter the dealer service menu you put the key in the accessory position, truck is not running, and simultaneously hold down the driver temperature control UP and DOWN buttons as well as holding down the Front Defrost button.

Then you tap on System Information > Radio Part Information

Scroll down to see everything.

I'm running software version: 18.20.2e

I'm running EQ version 3.4

I presume EQ version refers to the equalizer software. If so, this update SUCKS. I had modified the stock 6 speaker system with Polk dash speakers with 4 ohm resistors inline, Pioneer 6"X9" front door speakers, and a powered 8" subwoofer box. It sounded great! Just awesome.

Now it's way overly bass heavy, almost no treble. It's muddy and muffled sounding. I just did the 4 ohm resistors in the dash speakers last weekend and now I'm considering taking them out!

I've now got the Bass turned down to -3 and the Treble turned up to +4 (before update was at Bass +2 and Treble 0)

If someone that hasn't gotten the update could go into their truck's dealer service menu and report back what version of EQ you are running I would really appreciate it.

They've got to change this back to what it was before. It ruined my stereo.
Yep, same truck, same software versions, same totally crappy muddy muffled sounding radio.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried calling uconnect support yesterday...after telling 3 different people I couldn't understand a word they were saying, I got told that I have to take it to a dealership.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I tried calling uconnect support yesterday...after telling 3 different people I couldn't understand a word they were saying, I got told that I have to take it to a dealership.
I'm going to the dealer in 2 hours. They say they can't roll back to a previous software version. They told me all updates are done over the air via Sirius XM Guardian.

I brought up the problem of the Uconnect voice being extremely loud when it breaks in and gives you a notification, and they said a possible fix might be to reset the radio. So I'm going in for that and also the cruise control recall. And to ***** some more about the software update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe uconnect (the company) has a presence on Twitter and Facebook. Hit them up publicly and they may have a social media intern who can respond and tell someone.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA doesn’t necessarily control UConnect updates. Try contacting @ramcares to maybe get connected with a uconnect engineer directly.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I emailed UConnect customer support with some questions.

Here is the response I got from UConnect customer support:

1. Your vehicle's software should be at 21.9

2. You can check the current software by the following steps -Push and hold front defrost, driver temperature up and down and dealer mode will appear -radio part information -software application version

3. The update fixed the following issues:
  • Antitheft code request message.
  • Backup camera screen is blank.
  • Lines appear across screen.
  • Radio control screen is blank or locked.
  • Radio reset intermittently.
  • Unable to adjust audio volume.
  • Unable to switch modes between AM, FM, SAT or Media.

In addition the following enhancements are included in this update:
  • Improvement to Bluetooth phone pairing.
  • Bluetooth devices unresponsive.
  • Improved sound quality when using a Bluetooth phone.

Yeah, about that last "enhancement"...can I get rid of that one?

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PowerRam
I checked my software version. I have not gotten the update yet. From what i hear i dont want it.

software version: 17.43.44
EQ version: 3.4

My stereo still sounds the same as purchase date. Sound is not muddy/muffled. I hope they get this fixwd

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
PowerRam
I checked my software version. I have not gotten the update yet. From what i hear i dont want it.

software version: 17.43.44
EQ version: 3.4

My stereo still sounds the same as purchase date. Sound is not muddy/muffled. I hope they get this fixwd

Thanks for the info.

No, if you like your stereo as is, or you don't want to make it sound worse, you definitely do not want this update.

Since we have the same EQ version (3.4) I'm going to assume that is not the controller for the equalizer and there was something else in the software update from 17.43.44 to 18.20.2e that messed with my stereo.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing to note is that when I connected my phone on bluetooth, my audio sounded pretty much normal. Only on am/fm and sxm radio does it sound like fido's a**.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
One thing to note is that when I connected my phone on bluetooth, my audio sounded pretty much normal. Only on am/fm and sxm radio does it sound like fido's a**.
I'm listening to songs from my USB stick. I know what they sounded like before the update and they are not sounding the same. It's sad, really.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TSHARE18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro Blue
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the response I got from UConnect customer support:

1. Your vehicle's software should be at 21.9

2. You can check the current software by the following steps -Push and hold front defrost, driver temperature up and down and dealer mode will appear -radio part information -software application version

3. The update fixed the following issues:
  • Antitheft code request message.
  • Backup camera screen is blank.
  • Lines appear across screen.
  • Radio control screen is blank or locked.
  • Radio reset intermittently.
  • Unable to adjust audio volume.
  • Unable to switch modes between AM, FM, SAT or Media.

In addition the following enhancements are included in this update:
  • Improvement to Bluetooth phone pairing.
  • Bluetooth devices unresponsive.
  • Improved sound quality when using a Bluetooth phone.

Yeah, about that last "enhancement"...can I get rid of that one?

Unable to switch modes and unable to adjust volume were problems I have had since I got the truck in late June. So far I haven’t run into that problem since I’ve updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wtf, i just followed powrrams lead and ordered new dash speaker adapters and 4 ohm resistors. Haven't received them yet.
I pulled in my driveway tonight and the update popped up, i shut the truck off so im assuming it didn't load. My question to u guys is, my new dash speakers (kicker cs series) are crazy bright, why i ordered the resistors. Would this update actually make them sound good???

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crap, I hope not. I just went through a bunch of speaker mods and fine tuned the frequency settings, including subwoofer settings.

Me too. I was NOT happy with this at all and I *still* can't get it sounding as good as before.

Yes, the same thing happened to me. Uconnect software update pushed down Sept 4th. The morning of Sept 5th my radio sounds like crap, very flat, all bass, very muffled, like someone is talking with their hand over their mouth. I hope someone at FCA follows these forums and gets the software team to write another update to correct this issue.

For sure. We need them to un-fix this update.

Question: Can we uninstall this update or go back to last version ourselves...?

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I first got mine it sounded perfect and like you guys said it now sounds like crap no matter how you adjust eq.I don't think can go backwards with software on the new radios going to try that and maybe a factory reset.if either work going to put on a 911 plug if they still have input for one and stop the u connect update crap.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wtf, i just followed powrrams lead and ordered new dash speaker adapters and 4 ohm resistors. Haven't received them yet.
I pulled in my driveway tonight and the update popped up, i shut the truck off so im assuming it didn't load. My question to u guys is, my new dash speakers (kicker cs series) are crazy bright, why i ordered the resistors. Would this update actually make them sound good???
I wouldn't recommend it honestly. Something in the update is obviously corrupted. Personally I'd hold off and see if they patch it up.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

It might...the sound is severely muffled and flat. Brighter dash speakers might be the ticket.

I'm thinking of putting in my old Metra adapters without the resistors in line and trying that out with my Polk dash speakers. I figure it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
When I first got mine it sounded perfect and like you guys said it now sounds like crap no matter how you adjust eq.I don't think can go backwards with software on the new radios going to try that and maybe a factory reset.if either work going to put on a 911 plug if they still have input for one and stop the u connect update crap.

I went to the dealer today and they did a factory reset on my radio. Didn't fix the problem the update did to the sound quality of the stereo. The service manager at the dealer said they couldn't roll back the new update. I'm not giving up yet. I'm still trying to find out if it's possible.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well this doesn't look good unless there is a new update.theres a 19.19 but i think its for 2019 and i'm not sure it sounds any better.i may retro fit a pre 18 harmon radio.as i don't use carplay any way.