UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for my ignorance, is sending a pm here the same as starting a conversation? I messaged ramcares by conversation

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is the response I got from UConnect customer support:

1. Your vehicle's software should be at 21.9

2. You can check the current software by the following steps -Push and hold front defrost, driver temperature up and down and dealer mode will appear -radio part information -software application version

3. The update fixed the following issues:
  • Antitheft code request message.
  • Backup camera screen is blank.
  • Lines appear across screen.
  • Radio control screen is blank or locked.
  • Radio reset intermittently.
  • Unable to adjust audio volume.
  • Unable to switch modes between AM, FM, SAT or Media.

In addition the following enhancements are included in this update:
  • Improvement to Bluetooth phone pairing.
  • Bluetooth devices unresponsive.
  • Improved sound quality when using a Bluetooth phone.

Yeah, about that last "enhancement"...can I get rid of that one?
Backup camera goes black still. Radio will now unmute itself randomly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not too sure, but I would think there's a process to do a soft reset without having to have the dealership do it.
I disconnected the neg battery cable on mine for a bit and after everything rebooted it still sounded like garbage

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Mine sounds muddy now. Ugh.....base sounds heavy throughout every song played.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine sounds muddy now. Ugh.....base sounds heavy throughout every song played.
Looking around the web I found a jeep forum where folks were complaining about it too so it's not limited to just us apparently.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Looking around the web I found a jeep forum where folks were complaining about it too so it's not limited to just us apparently.

Well....that's great. I'm expecting my new 6x9's to come in shortly and now am going to have to put that on hold until this "update" gets squared away. I had the eQ set where the stock speakers sounded decent to me and since this update I had to drop the base to almost zero and jump the mid and treble higher to try to balance it out. And it still doesn't sound as good as it did before.

Has anyone found out what the update was supposed to correct? Some one said it was for the park sense alert?

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm not too sure, but I would think there's a process to do a soft reset without having to have the dealership do it.
If I remember correctly, when you enter the dealer service mode (described in this thread) and you enter the Radio Part Information there is an option to reset the radio. I didn't explore that option. However, as I said, the dealer did a radio reset for me and it didn't fix the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Has anyone found out what the update was supposed to correct? Some one said it was for the park sense alert?

Described a few posts upstream.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
OK, here's what I've found out. To see the software version you need to enter the dealer service menu.

To enter the dealer service menu you put the key in the accessory position, truck is not running, and simultaneously hold down the driver temperature control UP and DOWN buttons as well as holding down the Front Defrost button.

Then you tap on System Information > Radio Part Information

Scroll down to see everything.

I'm running software version: 18.20.2e

I'm running EQ version 3.4

I presume EQ version refers to the equalizer software. If so, this update SUCKS. I had modified the stock 6 speaker system with Polk dash speakers with 4 ohm resistors inline, Pioneer 6"X9" front door speakers, and a powered 8" subwoofer box. It sounded great! Just awesome.

Now it's way overly bass heavy, almost no treble. It's muddy and muffled sounding. I just did the 4 ohm resistors in the dash speakers last weekend and now I'm considering taking them out!

I've now got the Bass turned down to -3 and the Treble turned up to +4 (before update was at Bass +2 and Treble 0)

If someone that hasn't gotten the update could go into their truck's dealer service menu and report back what version of EQ you are running I would really appreciate it.

They've got to change this back to what it was before. It ruined my stereo.

Missed this one PowrRam....

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The same BS had happened to my '16 at some point which led me to replace the stock 8.4 non NAV/Kicker Sound Stage setup I had with an Alpine iLX 207, Alpines ~40watt in line 4-channel amp, and my old 12"s from my Expy that got sold when I bought the truck in a foxbox. My sound stage had gone from sounding OK to being nothing but ear ****** highs and no lows or mids after one of the 16 MY uConnect updates so I just ripped that **** out of the truck after enough frustration and got a nice sound quality upgrade as well as Carplay in the process. Having real control over the EQ and accessing the Alpine "DSP" was also nice for dialing in the sound over uConnect's basic excuse for an EQ.

My '17 Challenger on the other hand is a major ***** to get updates since 17 MY Cars have no OTA and the uConnect site regularly gives me VIN errors, yet I still get VHR emails for it... Luckily it sounds fine, but I do have to pull the USB hub fuse every couple of months to keep carplay/android auto working. It will likely get a replacement at some point in the future if uConnect gets really broken since its a weekend warrior and I mostly only use Carplay or Android Auto for real time traffic avoidance (Does get super annoying when you're out somewhere and have to pull the USB hub fuse after getting in the car to find your phone wont connect... again).

musicwatkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cylinder
hi everyone, i am new here. i just wanted to chime in on the latest uconnect update. i'm on my 3rd ram now and i've been highly satisfied with them all but, this latest software update really stinks. like most everyone else in here my stereo sounds totally different now. terrible actually. it's like someone swapped my high end stereo for some cheap piece of crap. also, i noticed in this thread someone gave a list of what this update was supposed to correct, one being better bluetooth connectivity. funny, i never had problems with this before, now every time i get in my truck it doesn't read my phone, i have to unpair and then re-pair my phone. i too called uconnect and spoke with customer service. she tried to do a reset but it did nothing. she told me i had to go to my local dealer service dept and have them do it. i called the service dept, the guy told me they've tried doing a hard reset on them twice and both times it locked up the radio, essentially making it useless and will have to replace the entire system which will take a week to 10 days. so, i'm very frustrated to say the least. i hope someone comes up with a fix here soon.

musicwatkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cylinder
hi everyone, i am new here. i just wanted to chime in on the latest uconnect update. i'm on my 3rd ram now and i've been highly satisfied with them all but, this latest software update really stinks. like most everyone else in here my stereo sounds totally different now. terrible actually. it's like someone swapped my high end stereo for some cheap piece of crap. also, i noticed in this thread someone gave a list of what this update was supposed to correct, one being better bluetooth connectivity. funny, i never had problems with this before, now every time i get in my truck it doesn't read my phone, i have to unpair and then re-pair my phone. i too called uconnect and spoke with customer service. she tried to do a reset but it did nothing. she told me i had to go to my local dealer service dept and have them do it. i called the service dept, the guy told me they've tried doing a hard reset on them twice and both times it locked up the radio, essentially making it useless and will have to replace the entire system which will take a week to 10 days. so, i'm very frustrated to say the least. i hope someone comes up with a fix here soon.

Sportsman11669

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have been having issues with my truck not being able to communicate with AT&T to activate my WiFi in the truck. 2018 Big Horn with the 8.4Nav. Anyone else experiencing this? Never once been prompted to do any sort of update. I think I’m rocking 17.26 software.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have been having issues with my truck not being able to communicate with AT&T to activate my WiFi in the truck. 2018 Big Horn with the 8.4Nav. Anyone else experiencing this? Never once been prompted to do any sort of update. I think I’m rocking 17.26 software.
Hold temp up + temp down + front defrost buttons for 10 secs to get into dealer mode. Then you can check the "application version" to see what you have.

M² Mods.

DCD5907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought it was only me, I had to set the bass -4 and set the kids to -3 and boost the highs. Still not where it was pre update. Dealer said it must be me and my ears, that the update couldn’t have caused this. Thank god for the forums.

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well so far called RAM, Uconnect, and Sirius XM. No help at all. Just 1 hour wasted that I'll never get back. Nobody knows who or how to get ahold of the group responsible for the OTA updates.

So frustrating.

Help....?

thomas5853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just got the notice to update and set it for this afternoon. I hope i get back in time top push it off. I have a 2018 Laramie 8.4 with NAV. Have had no problems and love the sound the Alpine with sub. Wish it could go louder, lol.