UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirelesspacket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I just spoke with a Uconnect Case manager who called me back. She said Uconnect is AWARE of the problem and is working hard to get a fix in place as soon as possible. She said they are receiving many many calls and it does appear to be restricted to the 2018 year of ram trucks. She said she will call me every 48 hours to give me an update or sooner if they have a fix ready. I'll keep the forums updated as this trails along. YAY! Good job everyone. ~cross thread posted.
They're aware of the issue, but still pushing out the OTA update. I got the update OTA today and I'm pissed to say the least.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Unfortunately you can only delay the OTA updates, you can't deny them.

M² Mods.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How are the Ota updates recieved?through the purple cell antenna or what is the pink plug.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well i will be retro fitted back to a tried and true 8.4an hopefully by friday.so you can almost put money on a fix for the new radios since I went ahead with the retro fit.losing car play and u connect not a big deal for me as I don't use them.sucks though that they screwed up a perfectly sounding and working radio.I would compare the sound of my 8.4 now to that of my trade in expresses 5.0.no offense to those with 5.0 radios.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well i will be retro fitted back to a tried and true 8.4an hopefully by friday.so you can almost put money on a fix for the new radios since I went ahead with the retro fit.losing car play and u connect not a big deal for me as I don't use them.sucks though that they screwed up a perfectly sounding and working radio.I would compare the sound of my 8.4 now to that of my trade in expresses 5.0.no offense to those with 5.0 radios.

Why not go aftermarket?

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My experience has always been that any aftermarket interface device has been glitchy.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes, the same thing happened to me. Uconnect software update pushed down Sept 4th. The morning of Sept 5th my radio sounds like crap, very flat, all bass, very muffled, like someone is talking with their hand over their mouth. I hope someone at FCA follows these forums and gets the software team to write another update to correct this issue.
What is the sw #? Mine is 16.33.29

Bubba5154

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Uconnect OTA started loading on my truck yesterday morning at 6am when I got to work, 10 Sept 2018. The radio powered up but had no audio until around 5pm that evening. I tried it at lunch and on the way home at 3pm, no audio. It sounded fantastic before the upgrade, now I have the same issue with sound quality everyone else has - overpowering bass, little treble or mid, muffled, sucks overall. Anxious to find out what the fix will be.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Uconnect OTA started loading on my truck yesterday morning at 6am when I got to work, 10 Sept 2018. The radio powered up but had no audio until around 5pm that evening. I tried it at lunch and on the way home at 3pm, no audio. It sounded fantastic before the upgrade, now I have the same issue with sound quality everyone else has - overpowering bass, little treble or mid, muffled, sucks overall. Anxious to find out what the fix will be.
I'm terribly saddened to welcome you to our crappy update club :(

It's mind boggling that the flawed update is still being pushed out even though they are aware it's no good.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Latest email I received:
-------------
The more complaints we received regarding this update and unhappy customers, the more likely a new update will be released sooner.
I am sorry to learn you no longer enjoy your driving your truck due to the update. I will note on file you feel this way for corporate to be aware.

Sincerely,
Jocelyn

Customer Service Representative
RAM Customer Assistance Center

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
What is the sw #? Mine is 16.33.29

Since you have a 2016 Ram you won't see this particular update. It's only for 2018 vehicles.

However, to answer your question the software update is ver. 18.20.2e

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Is @ramcares able to escalate this from their end also? I'm not looking forward to this update making it to my truck.

M² Mods.

Mtgldr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If we do not have any Uconnect paid services will this update still want to install, I am assuming Uconnect is using our cell connection to download?

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
If we do not have any Uconnect paid services will this update still want to install, I am assuming Uconnect is using our cell connection to download?

I don't have UConnect paid services. I don't have Sirius XM Guardian. I got the update.

I've been told the UConnect OTA updates are administered by Sirius XM Guardian. Whether or not that means the updates come via the XM radio system, I'm not sure. When I got the update I was backed almost all the way into my garage, so the XM radio "shark fin" antenna was definitely inside the garage. Typically when I'm in that spot I don't get XM radio reception.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck has it's own 4g connection even if you don't suscribe to it as far as I know.