Uconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonkajo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just bought my first Power Wagon yesterday (2019 2500). Can somebody explain this uconnect thing and if/how I can get the navigation system on it?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
does your radio have a Navigation icon on it ?

Or if you push the Menu button, does NAV show up ?

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may also be nav ready and not have it installed. Which system do you have? Also which antenna do you have do you have the shark fin? If you don't have nav but it's nav ready you can buy the code and turn the system on. Without more information kind of hard to tell

Three Rivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the shark fin but no NAV, 8.4 Uconnect. If there is a way to install NAV I'd love to know about it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, being kinda cheap that the factory NAV is, if you all have Apple CarPlay or Android Connect capabilities in your trucks, I wouldn’t even fool for one second with that factory stuff because it’s junk and it’s expensive. Your ability to mirror Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps or whatever you have is worlds better than the factory navigation.

Three Rivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys, being kinda cheap that the factory NAV is, if you all have Apple CarPlay or Android Connect capabilities in your trucks, I wouldn’t even fool for one second with that factory stuff because it’s junk and it’s expensive. Your ability to mirror Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps or whatever you have is worlds better than the factory navigation.
Speaking of cheap, I'm so cheap that I don't have unlimited data, so I can't run Waze/Google maps for hours on end lol. But I do like that option though!

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Speaking of cheap, I'm so cheap that I don't have unlimited data, so I can't run Waze/Google maps for hours on end lol. But I do like that option though!
Go to your Google Maps on your phone, tap your icon in the upper right corner, go to Offline Maps, click Select Your Own Map. Then, select the area that you want to download. Do that for the areas you think you will be in. Now, your phone will have data for areas with no signal or if you put it in airplane mode to not use data.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
For Nav, just go to Best Buy & look at GPS units

Many ppl like the Garmin GPS with FREE Lifetime Maps & Traffic

You can buy a 5, 6, or 7 inch screen
Some of the better ones allow you to talk to it & the mid priced ones talk to you

Some even come with a built in dash cam, like my Magellan GPS

Jensben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6 Pentastar
Just bought my first Power Wagon yesterday (2019 2500). Can somebody explain this uconnect thing and if/how I can get the navigation system on it?
Me too with this. I called Vehicle care @1-800-247-9753. They said: "need 4GB flashdrive to update. A Sony Memorex or Infinity ONN. "Customer No Service " for me. Good Luck..

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You never need the factory NAV, Google Maps is the best Nav app and it's free. With Andriod Auto or Carplay, it can be used with UConnect.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Garmin or another equal GPS is the way to go
Get it with Free Lifetime Maps & Traffic

If you were to upgrade your Ram's radio to have navigation, it would cost you something like $600 or more & every 3 or 4 years you would want to update the Maps & that would cost you $140 plus each time

It just is not worth it

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. No reason for anyone to pay for GPS navigation any more,
I have the factory Nav and I don't even use it. It pales in comparison with Goggle Maps. Don't waste a penny on it. It might look nicer at first glance, but in actual operation where it counts, Google Maps cannot be beaten.

Garmins and the like are ok, but Google Maps is better and is free. And with Google Maps you don't need to install any clunky GPS on your windshield or dash, you simply mirror it to your OEM infotainment unit via Android Auto or CarPlay.

There is no reason not to use Google Maps. Even if you don't have a data plan on your smartphone (most people do nowadays), you can very easily pre-download all the maps of the area you drive into Google Maps using your home wi-fi. Then you don't even need a data plan.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I have the factory Nav and I don't even use it. It pales in comparison with Goggle Maps. Don't waste a penny on it. It might look nicer at first glance, but in actual operation where it counts, Google Maps cannot be beaten.

Garmins and the like are ok, but Google Maps is better and is free. And with Google Maps you don't need to install any clunky GPS on your windshield or dash, you simply mirror it to your OEM infotainment unit via Android Auto or CarPlay.

There is no reason not to use Google Maps. Even if you don't have a data plan on your smartphone (most people do nowadays), you can very easily pre-download all the maps of the area you drive into Google Maps using your home wi-fi. Then you don't even need a data plan.
Same with Waze. I use the basic free version app in my iPhone. Pops up full screen on the 8.4.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same with Waze. I use the basic free version app in my iPhone. Pops up full screen on the 8.4.
Yes, Waze is also owned by Google and is another great option especially if you want to see any upcoming road hazards or speed traps. The Nav is as smooth and as accurate as Google Maps and is also free. Both are great choices.

Some people prefer Waze, others prefer Google Maps, try them both. You can't go wrong with either.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

How do you PRE-DOWNLOAD GOGGLE MAPS ? I am a old person.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ DITTO ^^^

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interested in how this feat is accomplished. I always use the iphone maps the traditional way with audio through UConnect, but don't have the map displayed on screen. If that's possible, I'm missing out!

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Interested in how this feat is accomplished. I always use the iphone maps the traditional way with audio through UConnect, but don't have the map displayed on screen. If that's possible, I'm missing out!
I just open up the Waze app on my phone and it pops right up on my 8.4 screen.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s really not hard. If everything is set up correctly on your iPhone, all you should have to do is once your phone is plugged in underneath the center console lid, it should go right to it but if it doesn’t, you should see the Apple CarPlay symbol down there in the lower right hand corner of your radio screen so you just click on that and it should open up CarPlay to where depending on what screen you’re looking at, it’ll look like the screen on your iPhone so click on the apps and click on Apple Maps and it’ll fill the entire screen.
If you don’t see the Apple CarPlay symbol down there in the lower right then you may have to go to your phone settings and enable it. Just go to general and then scroll down to CarPlay and it should be able to allow you to add your vehicle so that when you’ve done it correctly, underneath where it says my cars, it should read Uconnect right there.