Uh Oh Mobil 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone, first thread! Went to my local auto part store to get oil and a filter for my ‘16 1500 with a 5.7. The miserable old man behind the counter went up one side of me and down the other because Mobil 1 didn’t have a Chrysler certification and I should have been using an OEM filter instead of a Mobil 1. I’ve been using Mobil 1 in my truck since brand new every 4-5k miles I now have a tick over 50k. Plus I’ve been using Mobil 1 going on 20 years without any issues. Has anyone else been running M1 in their 4th Gen without issues? Am I causing damage I’m unaware of? I know some people believe if you don’t use strictly OEM your truck will burst in flames and satan will take your first born son.

Octane

Reaction score
LOL. I use Havoline oil and even Satan is scared of that! I will never believe Mobil 1 is anything but good for any engine.I do not care for most dealer recommended anything myself, but I am a rebel.But my equipment lasts almost forever anyway!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nobody was denied warranty work for using m1, man if any manu was this stupid m1 would sue their ass. You are fine using m1, the second most used oil on the forum.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which Mobil 1 are you using? There are three that their website shows have the MS-6395 certification??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I use the Mobil Super 5w20 which is their synthetic blend. Changed every 6-7k miles for 124k miles. No leaks or burning oil. Comes out slightly darker than the fresh stuff. Will switch over to their high mileage full synthetic if it ever starts to leak or use oil.

OP
OP
C

ChrisWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which Mobil 1 are you using? There are three that their website shows have the MS-6395 certification??

Just the original Mobil 1. The bottles I bought don’t show the Chrysler MS6395

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar experience looking for the Mobil 1 synthetic blend. The store didn't carry it and the old man wanted to push the advanced synthetic extended performance. I just nodded and agreed that it wouldn't cause any issues but my OCD would drive me crazy knowing I don't have that MS6395 certification [emoji38]

FaceDeAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sun set on Mobil 1 many years ago.
There are superior offerings available.

Kevin Barker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I’ve been using Mobil 1 in my truck since brand new every 4-5k miles I now have a tick over 50k.

My truck has now been at the dealer since December 10th, 62,260 miles, Last oil change was with M1 5w20, The wait list for service at our dealer was 3 weeks out for an oil change, so I had to use a local company that I have used in the past on other hemi's I have owned with no issues, I have always had the "Hemi Tick" but after swapping to M1, I am now waiting for the "NEW" Engine to get installed.... Lifters, Rockers, Camshaft, valve springs, pushrods, and also there was something eating up the main bearing as well...

PLEASE HAVE IT CHECKED BEFORE YOU RUN OUT OF YOUR WARRANTY!!!!!!!!

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone else use the Rotella Gas Truck oil?

I just changed my oil to PUP 5w30, but I'm going to use Rotella Gas Truck with my next change. I bought a bunch of it while it was on sale on Amazon. Unrelated, I put RGT 5w30 in my 2000 Jeep and it seems fine so far.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My truck has now been at the dealer since December 10th, 62,260 miles, Last oil change was with M1 5w20, The wait list for service at our dealer was 3 weeks out for an oil change, so I had to use a local company that I have used in the past on other hemi's I have owned with no issues, I have always had the "Hemi Tick" but after swapping to M1, I am now waiting for the "NEW" Engine to get installed.... Lifters, Rockers, Camshaft, valve springs, pushrods, and also there was something eating up the main bearing as well...

PLEASE HAVE IT CHECKED BEFORE YOU RUN OUT OF YOUR WARRANTY!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Ram Forum, you should look around the lubrication threads, much interesting info. Thanks for posting, this is kind of new as in I haven't heard cam/lifters and main bearing, so thanks for sharing. Interesting FCA raised viscosity to fix the eco diesel main bearings that were failing, but they haven't got off 20 weight for the hemi despite plenty of evidence there are issues with our trucks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lubegard 30902 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant is still only 6 bucks for 10 ounces at amazon, it's a huge deal for an additive with good science behind it. It will dress up any oil you use to help protect these cams. It has the same stuff in it that they pack the cams with when they install them.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Welcome to Ram Forum, you should look around the lubrication threads, much interesting info. Thanks for posting, this is kind of new as in I haven't heard cam/lifters and main bearing, so thanks for sharing. Interesting FCA raised viscosity to fix the eco diesel main bearings that were failing, but they haven't got off 20 weight for the hemi despite plenty of evidence there are issues with our trucks.
That's why a few have gotten new engines from dealer instead of cam & lifters.
Filter doesn't catch the bearings will.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else use the Rotella Gas Truck oil?
I use it in mine. It is the only oil I use now. I've seen multiple people go over a million miles on their cummins diesel engines using the shell rotella oil in it, so I switched to it once they started offering it for the gas engines.

So I use 5w-20 Shell Rotella in my 5.7 Hemi 2012 4x4 lonestar. It's at 147k miles now.

-----‐--------------------------------------------------
Nod for 8 when they open the gate.
--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Bill G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a similar experience looking for the Mobil 1 synthetic blend. The store didn't carry it and the old man wanted to push the advanced synthetic extended performance. I just nodded and agreed that it wouldn't cause any issues but my OCD would drive me crazy knowing I don't have that MS6395 certification [emoji38]

The sun set on Mobil 1 many years ago.
There are superior offerings available.

Bill G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t know it’s pretty popular. What are you using?

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
As I recall, Mobile 1 and Ram/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat.....whatever, had a ******* contest about paying bills. Mobile 1 retaliated by not certifying their oil for use in our engines. Tribal knowledge or truth?