UltraGauge ot ScanGauge users?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
or any other tool that scans the OBDII information.
I am looking for a way to read transmission temps. I know i can add a stran along auge for transmission temp, but I see these OBDII tools that can access so much info, I wonder if one will read trans temps?
I have read enough to understand that the OBDII protocols do not include transmission temp data, but some manufacturers do read that info and it can be displayed by one of these readers.
Does anyone know--or better yet--have experience with setting up one of these to read trans temps for a 2011 Ram 1500ST?

Also, if you have installed a stand alone trans temp gauge--where did you mount it? Are you satisfied with that location? Where did you install the sensor?

Thanks all. 200 miles so far on my new-to-me truck, and loving it.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Any scan tool capable of reading "live data" will be able to read trans temps and most other factory sensors.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks.
Which units read "live data"? New to this technology.

Most of the newer ones do, there’s a lot of brands to read off. I have an old memoscan that reads live data, just not fancy. If you go to Ebay or Amazon you can look up Foxwell,MemoScan, or just search OBDII live data.

If you want to get fancy, they have little Bluetooth dongles you can plug into your OBDII slot and link your phone to use an app. There are many options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
For around $50 you can get a bluetooth dongle and an App called Torque on your phone if you are an android user. Best OBD2 phone app by a country mile.

If you want a conventional hand-held, options and budgets are aplenty. In my experience, you would be very hard pressed to beat a scanner like the Innova 3040e for the money.

OP
OP
P

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, Thanks
I want one that could be just left on the dash; really don't want a handheld diagnostic tool.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a bunch of guys on the Land Rover and Jeep forums who swear by the Ultra Gauge product, more than the other products out there. But weather it can read Ram Tranny temps I don't know. OBD data is rated in tiers, and some tiers are dealer only ....or read by better scanners like a Snap-On product. Did you go to Ultra Gauge's website and see if it's listed? If I reacall they published a list of things they could read. If you don't see it, consider sending them an email.

Good luck, let us know what you settle on and why ..and how you like it.

OP
OP
P

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will let you know in a few days. I ordered the UG MX that reads manufacturer's codes in addition to the OBDII universal codes. Worst case if that I have an OBDII reader than will display fuel mileage info, and then I'd have to add a Glowshift, or other transmission ga.
According to what I saw on the website--my truck uses CAN 11 bit protocol--the same as the Toyota Tundra ( I think)--so i ordered with that programming. I'll let you know what I can read after i install it.

VishalOnboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will let you know in a few days. I ordered the UG MX that reads manufacturer's codes in addition to the OBDII universal codes. Worst case if that I have an OBDII reader than will display fuel mileage info, and then I'd have to add a Glowshift, or other transmission ga.
According to what I saw on the website--my truck uses CAN 11 bit protocol--the same as the Toyota Tundra ( I think)--so i ordered with that programming. I'll let you know what I can read after i install it.

@pilgrim6 How did the UG MX work out for you with the Toyota Tundra preprogramming? I was looking at changing my EM Plus to the MX to read other info and would love to know if that one worked for you. I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Limited.

taylordc15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the premium cluster upgrade from the DIY forum and can now display trans temp on the dash

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this thread was way old, but I used a UltraGauge for a while. We used to own 2 Land Rover Discovery II's, and had the UG in each of them. I kept the UG's and put one in my truck. I liked having it, but don't remember if it read the transmission temp.

The UG I had was the permanent plug in version. Had it mounted on the far left of the instrument cluster. It eventually started to go out, and one night didn't turn off. I woke up to a dead battery. Took it out and threw it away and haven't put the second one in the truck.