Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncle Tony SPEAKS on cam and lifter failure in 5.7 hemi

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Jtblackram, May 30, 2020.

1. RBinNC

RBinNC Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    This video pushed me over the edge. From no local parts stores carrying the approved oil, to the annoying MDS. I'm not sticking around to have this failure for the money I spent. Out she goes

2. ramffml

ramffml Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    There is a "Lubeguard Biotech" thread you should follow, it's much cheaper than redline and may help with the tick.

As for MDS, just use the gear limiter, keep it limited to 8'th gear, and MDS will be disabled while leaving you full range of gears from 1 - 8.

3. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Uncle Tony doesn't know what he's talking about though. There is an oil galley right where he says there isn't oil.

PoMansRam likes this.
  4. RBinNC

RBinNC Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    We can talk down tony all we want. Doesn't change the fact that 4/5 chrysler owners I personally know had lifter failures before 100k miles.

Eddie S likes this.
  5. pacofortacos

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    They also say the 3.6 lifters are failing. Yet the fleet we use has used 3.6 equipped vehicles for 10 years or so and haven't had any lifter failure that I am aware of. And believe me, they get a minimum of maintenance - but oil does get changed every 5000 miles.

If 4/5 of every mopar (3.6/5.7/6.4, etc) had lifter failure, you would hear about it.

I don't know of anyone personally that has had lifter failure.

PoMansRam likes this.
  6. Eddie S

Eddie S Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    My Hemi has 224,000 miles on it.
    I use Redline and Wix for the last couple of years and the tick is basically gone however i do notice it every now and then when the truck has been idling for a little while in park in the driveway.
    the tick is nowhere near what it was 2 years ago however my OCD had me changing the oil some times every other month no matter how many miles i have driven.
    I live in the northeast and it gets cold so it has seen its fair share or more as it sits idling in the drive way for 15 to 30 minutes on really cold days.
    My friend Jeff has a 2014 ram 1500 with zero tick...... I hate him...LOL!!

7. Snake15eyes1998

Snake15eyes1998 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

My brother inlaw had lifter failure. 2013, ram 1500, 5.7 hemi. $6000 to fix by third party shop. New lifters and cam was needed. It's kind of like buying a new car, you don't see very many of that car or truck until you have one. I had no idea this was going on until I investigated my brother-in-law's check engine light. I researched it on Ram forums and YouTube videos. Now that I know what's going on, I hear a lot more about it from other Ram owners.

8. pacofortacos

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    There are definitely some years worse than others and 13 was one of the bad years - which points to a supplier issue more than a design issue.

The oil formulation changes in recent years has only made it worse.
    Unless you run special oil or add additives to an older hydraulic tappet motor ( pre 1980), your chances of cam failure go way up vs. unheard of decades ago - well at least on the mopar line.

9. Snake15eyes1998

Snake15eyes1998 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

So, I have a 3rd gen 5.7 hemi. How prone are those to lifter failure? What years where really affected?

10. Snake15eyes1998

Snake15eyes1998 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    So pretty much from what I've gathered, Redline will fix the Hemi tick but it doesn't fix the problem. The problem is still there, Redline oil just puts a silencer over the problem. So you don't hear it, but excessive idling and in time still makes you a candidate for lifter and cam failure?????????