Uncle Tony SPEAKS on cam and lifter failure in 5.7 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2018 5.7 that would tick every once in a while. Let the dealer hold onto the truck for a couple of weeks and of course it did not replicate the tick for them. The truck was 2 years old and under 10k on the clock.
The dealer serviced the truck.
FYI there is a TSP from the dealer for this very issue.
I wanted to buy a new Challenger and stopped myself on account of this tick.
Keeping my 73 DART 340/4 speed.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2018 5.7 that would tick every once in a while. Let the dealer hold onto the truck for a couple of weeks and of course it did not replicate the tick for them. The truck was 2 years old and under 10k on the clock.
The dealer serviced the truck.
FYI there is a TSP from the dealer for this very issue.
I wanted to buy a new Challenger and stopped myself on account of this tick.
Keeping my 73 DART 340/4 speed.

So just outta curiosity, what oil and filter were you using in whatever that 2018 5.7 was? How often were you changing it?

The 5.7 in my 2018 Ram has probably only ticked twice since I’ve had it but it was only after starting it up a second time from the first time it was just started for a send or two and then shut off which, Ive read that’ll make it tick but as far as everyday starting it up and letting it warm up, it hasn’t ticked on that account.

The only dealer oil it’s ever gotten was its first oil change at 2700 miles which was full synthetic whatever it was and ever since, I’ve done my own changes and it’s still a very quiet motor. Ran primarily Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5-20 with a Wix XP filter up until this past October where I switched to Amsoil SS 5-20 and Amsoil’s 25,000 mile filter. Normally the oil gets changed no more than 6000-6500 miles later but there have been a few times were it’s collected over 7,000 but most certainly never when that oil life meter tells me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I kept the Ram Rebel for three years.
The dealer changed the oil every six months as I hardly put any miles on the truck. I drove it about 5 k a year.
The dealer used 5w20 synthetic but recommended I drop the oil every six months.
Most of the ticking occurred upon cold start.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a TSP on engine tick. Both the 5.7 and 6.4.
I am a MOPAR fan and this is ******* me off!!
I worked for Ford as a mechanic in the 70’s and 80’s. A tick was common in the 302 and 351.
Never heard ticks in MOPAR engines until now.
My 2021 5.7 doesn’t do it so far but it’s three months old.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kept the Ram Rebel for three years. The dealer changed the oil every six months as I hardly put any miles on the truck. I drove it about 5 k a year.
The dealer used 5w20 synthetic but recommended I drop the oil every six months. Most of the ticking occurred upon cold start.
Did they put in full synthetic or just the synthetic blend/semi-synthetic stuff the truck came with from the factory? You just said synthetic but that doesn’t necessarily say what kind of synthetic.

But still, that’s pretty weird that you still had the ticking and was changing the oil every six months/2,500 miles.

There is a TSP on engine tick. Both the 5.7 and 6.4.

There is because it’s a design flaw but at least you can minimize your chances of falling victim to it by using the best quality oil you can, using a much better filter than that black Mopar one and limiting your idling.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was dealer oil. I asked they said 5W20 Synthetic. I guess the oil comes in 55 gallon drums and they hook it up to the air supply lines. At least they did that in the Ford dealer I worked in. Bulk oil.
Sorry can’t provide more info on that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was dealer oil. I asked they said 5W20 Synthetic. I guess the oil comes in 55 gallon drums and they hook it up to the air supply lines. At least they did that in the Ford dealer I worked in. Bulk oil.
Sorry can’t provide more info on that.

Unless you specifically asked for a full synthetic, they probably just put in there the same run of the mill stuff that the factory put in. I only say that because while taking advantage of the one free oil change I got for spending $55k on my new truck, my first oil change that was supposed to be free cost me 20 bucks because I specifically asked for full synthetic.