Uncle Tony SPEAKS on cam and lifter failure in 5.7 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suppose its quite possible that the lubrication system works fine *as long as there is little to no sludge*. The oil maybe ends up where its intended because the drips and drops "go the right way" as long as there is a clear path. But once a piece of dirt or sludge ends up in just the right place, that stops working.

So, a high quality, high detergent oil changed at good intervals may very well keep the engine running forever.

RL leaves behind moly which is great, but we also know it has VERY good cleaning abilities. Maybe THAT'S what silences the tick first, the detergents and moly keeps the tick away.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for making this is a sticky...

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My wife had a 4.7 grand Cherokee absolute junk (we had a 4.0 GC before that, sounded like a tractor lol) it’s the whole reason I went to the Acura MDX for her. At 50k the thing was DONE it spent more time in the shop and the stupid 7/75 warranty was a joke- stuff like the oil steering failing but an o ring in the oil steering is considered a wear item so it’s not covered. my dad’s magnum threw a rod at 90k due to the oil pump getting clogged and we changed the oil every 3k!

so im glad you have had good luck with your 4.7 but I’ll take my chances with the hemi and never own anything magnum

I’ll bet serious money that was a pre 08 4.7.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I suppose its quite possible that the lubrication system works fine *as long as there is little to no sludge*. The oil maybe ends up where its intended because the drips and drops "go the right way" as long as there is a clear path. But once a piece of dirt or sludge ends up in just the right place, that stops working.

So, a high quality, high detergent oil changed at good intervals may very well keep the engine running forever.

RL leaves behind moly which is great, but we also know it has VERY good cleaning abilities. Maybe THAT'S what silences the tick first, the detergents and moly keeps the tick away.
Now that makes perfect sense there! That does explain why redline would work!

Nells426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So does this tick happen even when driving, or even after it is warmed up? Mine only has a slight tick upon start-up and goes away after a few minutes. I will be switching to Redline regardless

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So does this tick happen even when driving, or even after it is warmed up? Mine only has a slight tick upon start-up and goes away after a few minutes. I will be switching to Redline regardless

Two hemi ticks, sadly they can happen under same circumstances. Lifter tick can happen at start up with dry lifters, but exhaust tick can happen at start up because the exhaust mani's are cold, when they are hot they expand, when they are cold they retract and this can have issues with seals, plus many times bolts break and air gets through.

A real good way to see if it is lifter tick is at warm idle, if it is ticking then it almost always is lifter tick. The formula in redline does guard against both lifter ticks, cold start up tick and warm idle tick, but obviously does nothing for exhaust. It is a fair number of hemis that will have either issue, it seams to be about 50/50. If after your oil change there is zero difference in the tick, look hard at exhaust.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got a chance to listen to this with the sound up, glad to hear he's basically saying what I've been speculating for years now. Glad I've been driving in a way where my engine is almost never below 1500rpm this whole time, I always figured just putting along at barely above idle was bad for it. I've also been meticulously not idling, I don't warm the truck up for more than a few minutes, I don't do drive throughs, I'll take the long way around to avoid stop lights if I need to go to town.
Honestly, between the Hemi and GM engines eating cams and lifters I'm pretty much done with V8 engines after this truck. They've just ruined them trying to milk as much fuel economy as they can out of them, which isn't even their fault it's the EPA.
I hope they bring the Dakota back in the next while, that's pretty much all I need in a truck nowadays. The Pentastar in a midsize truck would be ideal.

reece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2012 with 5.7 with the "tic". I had figured out that it was prevelent at low RPM. Your findings are outstanding!!. Thank you. Been told many theorys about this problem.

The ECO mode also seems to create the tic ( presuming because of the lower RPM.) I have used the manual shift to keep RPMs up to solve the tic on winding roads. Now I know why that works. My question, can the ECO mode be programmed out ? I really appreciate your effort on this. I planned to tear down and clean lifters this fall. Would have been wasted time.

OP
OP
Jtblackram

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2012 with 5.7 with the "tic". I had figured out that it was prevelent at low RPM. Your findings are outstanding!!. Thank you. Been told many theorys about this problem.

The ECO mode also seems to create the tic ( presuming because of the lower RPM.) I have used the manual shift to keep RPMs up to solve the tic on winding roads. Now I know why that works. My question, can the ECO mode be programmed out ? I really appreciate your effort on this. I planned to tear down and clean lifters this fall. Would have been wasted time.
I believe that while your in the “manual” mode, it disables the cylinder deactivation (eco mode)

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question, Is MDS active on engine start up, does it startup on all 8 cyl just wondering.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I’m pretty sure it lets the truck warm up before MDS comes on, I don’t typically see it on at all until I l’ve driven for a minute or two. Also I think it doesn’t allow MDS while idling or in park. Look for the ECO light on your dash.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I wounder if aftermarket blocks would have changed this set up?
i would thing if this was really the problem engine builders would just make a better block. not us back yard guys but the big boys.

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back when I had my Hemi charger and was on LXforums they used to have live chats with SRT Engineers. Not sure if they still do but I would be interested to hear what they have to say about this.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Back when I had my Hemi charger and was on LXforums they used to have live chats with SRT Engineers. Not sure if they still do but I would be interested to hear what they have to say about this.

they’re hiding in the quality analysis-warranty rework area for eternity because people keep purchasing.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run 5-20 synthetic and it is silent. My drive to work is 80 miles RT with almost no city driving. Also for some reason not all of them tick and some model years are more prone to the problem.
Right, I run the same I don't hear any ticks. But like I mentioned before too, I tow a lot so the rpm happens to be pretty high then normal.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I don’t know if there is anything to this, but it seems like the guys putting 300k miles on their hemis are working the snot out of them, and towing almost full time, so maybe working them hard keeps them alive.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know if there is anything to this, but it seems like the guys putting 300k miles on their hemis are working the snot out of them, and towing almost full time, so maybe working them hard keeps them alive.
So stop babying it. Lol